Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 16:32   #1

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Perkins Engine Log

Hi All
I've a problem with the engine hour log on the Perkins instrument panel of our 1992 Ammel Santorin. It decided to stop after clocking up over 5000 hours. The rev counter and the rest of the instruments appear to be working fine and the cables and connections are in good order. So if anyone can make a sugggestion as to where the problem may lay, Iwould be grateful. Regards Joe McDonnell
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: perkins engine log

G'Day Joe,

Don't know what brand of hourmeter you have, and they do differ in design. But, I've had two that were the old "odometer" style, with a group of numbered wheels to show the hours. These were driven by a mechanical "pecker" that jabbed at an escapement that in turn drove the first wheel, which drove the second one... At any rate, after a long period of service, they simply wear out mechanically, and AFAiK can not be repaired. My solution was to buy a new aftermarket meter in both cases. Not very expensive, but do remember to note the hours on the old one for adding to the new total (when you are feeling honest!).

Wish I had better news for you, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-07-2011, 23:53   #3

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Thanks Jim Your probably right, the boat is coming up on 20 years old and parts are being replaced on a constant basis. Apart from that she is a fantastic boat and we think she is good for another 20 years. We have a good Perkins agent here in Dublin (Edina ltd). I'll call in and see if they have the part. Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, perkins