Thanks everyone for the replies.
I found this motor electrician who sent my starter motor off to Izmir. I was a bit worried because if it went missing then I would have dificulty getting a replacement. Anyway when I expressed my concerns he reassured with the usual Turkish expression "bir problem olmaz" which that there won't be any problem.
Everyone says this expression and at least 50% of the time there IS a problem!!
Anyway I also told him that someone else was looking into it for me ( because I had given the importers phone
number to another marine
tecky - who was going to get a price
for me) so his price had to be competitive.
About four four days later he rang me up and said that the Izmir company and replaced the insides but kept the origional cog, shaft plate on the starter motor, so it will definitely fit back on.
So we went to the boat and fitted it and YES it turned the engine
Next I said I wanted to see if the engine
would run. I bought the boat two months ago and didn't know if the engine would work. The boat had been standing on land for eight months and the marine
company who were going to service
it for the previous owner said that because the boat had partially sunk, the engine needed stripping and rebuilding. (That is hideously expensive).
Well we got some deisel and after just two turns - the engine fired up.
YES - excellent - a real nice smooth sound. Definitely no re-build necessary.
Well I am really happy about this because this would have been the most expensive thing to get fixed.
Anyway - how much did it cost ?
on the starter moter was 200 YTL ( thats Yeni Turkish Lira ) and as the exchange rate is 2.7 lira to the UK pound thats less than £ 80
plus 20 lira for the shipping
(to Izmir and back) I think thats total is less than $ 150 US !!!
So compared with all other options it has worked out well.
I have some wood work to do. There is asmall area where the wood - its pine - has rotted. I pulled a plank off and took it to a saw mill and got six bits of new wood ( each piece 1m x 15 cm x 3cm) and a carpenter
machined then to the correct size ( total cost was 17 lira - about $ 10)
I found out that they stuff cotton in between the joints with a special tool (thats a bit pricey to get done as well) so today I also bought 5kg of cotton. I asked all over the place for this tool but noone had one to sell me so I have asked as blacksmith to make me the special tool.
Well thats it for now.
Thanks again for your help on the starter motor problem.
Dave in Turkey