Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2012, 00:38   #31

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Perkins 50 hp with limited revs.

Yes, the manual stop lever if sticking (or stop solenoid sticking) will have an effect on revs and will also inhibit the action of the throttle lever.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 04:17   #32

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Re: Perkins 50 hp with Limited Revs

Gents.
Thanks for all your help, We managed to get the motor revving to 2000rpm today.
Stumbled across the solution really.
I had a mechanic booked today to try & diagnose the problem. But previously we left the batteries on in the boat which caused them to run flat, so when we jump started it this morning we left the motor running for about 3 hours to charge the batteries.
When the mechanic arrived, he simply went down & reved it to 2000rpm
The mechanic thinks that the governor was probably sticking as its been quite a while since the engine has had a long run.
Well, it was a cheap fix & hopefully it won't happen again, before we can get it serviced.
So thanks again & I would love to know if you have any other ideas. Of what may have caused it.

Old 24-01-2012, 11:23   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Perkins 50 hp with limited revs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Sounds like the governor.
And all these posts.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:28   #34

Its been a while since I started this thread, the motor is running well now. but I have another couple of questions and seeing what a great response I had last time, thought I would tack them on the end of this thread which would save rehashing allot of info again.

Question 1. Is my motor metric or imperial?
I ask, because my wife bought me a new set of metric spanners fresh from china. So i probably have 3 13mm spanners now, all of which are slightly different in size. I want to get rid of them and buy a descent set of spanners and sockets for this motor but am know not shore whats what? I have confused myself.

Question 2. Was talking to a friend about my motor, as you do. I mentioned to him that I do a top speed of around 6kts at a bit over 1000rpm.
It accured to him that it should be able to rev higher (which it can do when not in gear) while in gear. He thinks that the propeller may not be sized correctly. Could this be the case?
If so, how do you work out the correct size for a particular boat or motor?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 19:41   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a great tool kit for a boat, you can get them at Costco. Or >>> Crescent 170PC Professional Mechanics Tool Set - Tools - Tool Sets - Mechanics Tool Sets

As for the prop. >>>http://www.vicprop.com/calculator.htm

Old 01-02-2013, 20:23   #36

Tool set looks great, I am not shore if you cam get it here in Aus. Imperial or metric? I couldn't tell.

The prop calcs will be handy but I will need to get the correct specs from my boat. I don't know what size i am already using.
Can an under or over sized prop cause what I have described?
Old 01-02-2013, 21:48   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
To know if you have a prop with the correct dimensions - dia & pitch. #1 the engine must be in proper tune #2 the hull must be clean #3 the running gear must be in good shape. If all of these things are right your engine should reach its's specified wide open throttle rpm. If it will not reach that rpm the prop has to much pitch. Then you need to get a prop with enough less pitch to gain the rpm you lack. I believe 1" change in pitch equals 100 rpm. Running a engine with to much pitch overloads it & shortens its life, it's like a car lugging up a hill in high gear when it should be in low gear. Good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 22:45   #38

Thanks
Had the boat cleaned by divers, so the figures are good. But must admit that 6 months ago the boat was slipped, cleaned and engine fully serviced and we did achieve 7 knots but I don't recall the rpm. I will do some more testing this Friday.
I have had a notion of replacing the prop with a folding prop. So I would have to do some accurate measurements to ensure it was the correct size and pitch. Its very interesting that 1" gives about 100rpm, it means that I would need to alter my propeller significantly to get the full potential out of the engine, as i am almost certain that it should easily rev to 2000 rpm.
Old 01-02-2013, 23:38   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Tool set looks great, I am not shore if you cam get it here in Aus. Imperial or metric? I couldn't tell.

The prop calcs will be handy but I will need to get the correct specs from my boat. I don't know what size i am already using.
Can an under or over sized prop cause what I have described?
Sorry! Didn't notice you were down under. But the kit is both metric to 16 mm on the wrenches, 21 mm on sockets & 3/4" on wrenches 7/8" on the sockets with a couple spark plug sockets. Plus 8 mm driver bits.

And yeah you got'm in OZ >>>>> Crescent CTK170MP 170-Piece Mechanics' Tool Set - Bulk | eBay

Or google it

Old 01-02-2013, 23:59   #40

Thanks Del
I may get them, I will have a look around home before I commit. So these are quality tools, not junk?
I ask this because I allready have more juck tools than I know what to do with.
Thanks again.
Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 00:23   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Thanks Del
I may get them, I will have a look around home before I commit. So these are quality tools, not junk?
I ask this because I allready have more juck tools than I know what to do with.
Thanks again.
Jeff
These are a tempered tool steel and chrome plated with a polished finish. It's a nice set!!!
And all the wrenches and sockets pop right into place. No rattling around of tools. Has a lock button on the ratchets so the sockets stay on tight. Mine slides right down under a seat in my solon. It has a carrying handle too.
BTW they make smaller sets too.
Just google the words "Crescent CTK170MP 170-Piece Mechanics' Tool Set" on your web and you may find it is cheaper then on ebay.au

Old 02-02-2013, 04:25   #42
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Get a manual and go over the fault finding diagram. While working your way through the list of possible faults the probability of doing some neglected maintenance or adjustments is high. Last time I had an engine issues I addressed about 5 possible maintenance points that could been causing my problems by working my way through the fault chart. .
Old 03-02-2013, 17:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Get a manual and go over the fault finding diagram. While working your way through the list of possible faults the probability of doing some neglected maintenance or adjustments is high. Last time I had an engine issues I addressed about 5 possible maintenance points that could been causing my problems by working my way through the fault chart. .
I have a manual on my laptop, so will see what I can find when I get back on Friday. Thanks.
Looking through the manual, allot of the dimensions are quoted in mm's (metric). Can anyone confirm that the motor is actually put together using Metric bolts??
Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 18:57   #44

A freind found this info last night about the Perkins, 1/4W seems to be causing all of my confusion.
Del, I am going to order that tool kit. Thanks.

Grabbed this from a garage forum last night. Perkins must be Whitworth since they have been made in Britain for 75 years they could also be BSF. Your alternator bolt/nut might be W.

Can anyone confirm this??

Hi from Britain,
AF does mean "across flats" these are the same size as SAE sizes. Whitworth tools are stamped with the fractional size,followed by a W , as previously mentioned and the fractional size does mean the thread diameter as opposed to head size with SAE sizes. A 9/16"W socket is the same size as a 1" SAE socket.
Most Whitworth sizes, match up to metric sizes.
Off top of my head, 5/16w= 15mm , 3/8w=18mm , 7/16w=21mm=13/16SAE=13/16"AF , 9/16w=1"sae=1"AF, 11/16"W=31mm.
The worst size is 1/4"w it has a head size that lands somewhere around 13.5mm. 9/16 and 14mm is too big 13mm is too small,unless bolt head has seen some abuse.
Whitworth bolts use a coarse thread that is almost exactly the same as unified coarse,Have used unc bolts in place of whitworth many times with no problem. 1/2w is exception, it has a totally unique thread pitch.
If bolts are fine threaded, these are British Standard Fine, BSF.
Can give more information l
Old 05-02-2013, 19:34   #45

Just spoke to the fitters here at work, they think it should be a metric motor.
Also, it was built in the UK in 1997 according to the serial number.

Tags
perkins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: