Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50   #1

Perkins 4108 water in #4 cylinder

My 4108 seized with water corroding the #4 piston. The motor is in a 1977 Ta Chiao CT41. It’s not obvious how the water entered the cylinder. The exhaust manifold was off recently to repair the shut off linkage. Has anyone had a similar experience and effected a fix?
Seadoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 22:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Perkins 4108 water in #4 cylinder

As long as you didn't get the engine started with water still in the cylinder and the water wasn't in their long enough cause serious rust should be no problem. Pull the injectors and turn the engine over to pump the water out of the cylinder. Drain the filter, oil, refill, reinstall the injectors and bleed the fuel system. Try to start the engine. Should fire right up as long as there is no air in the fuel system. If it runs on all cylinders, run it for a 1/2 hour or more under load to get it good and warm and evaporate any water still in the crankcase. Change the oil and run the engine again. If the oil stays its usual black icky self every thing should be fine. Might want to run the engine for a lengthy trip on a sail and drain the oil again, just to be safe.

If there is an anti-syphon valve in the exhaust system, that's probably your cause for the water filling the muffler and back flooding the engine through whatever valve is open, #4 in this case.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 23:32   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

They could have spilled some back into the exhaust manifold or hx and it made its way down to the lowest cylinder? Does it have a heat exchanger or raw water cooled? Direct drive or V?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 21:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
They could have spilled some back into the exhaust manifold or hx and it made its way down to the lowest cylinder? Does it have a heat exchanger or raw water cooled? Direct drive or V?
Heat exchanger, direct drive.
Seadoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:13   #5

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Its salt water in the cylinder not coolant? After having a head crack in my Westerbeke W70 and speaking to a cylinder head repair place in MA... They mentioned that they do lots of head repairs to your model engine.
PolarisOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Is the engine actually seized or refuses to turn because of water in the cylinder? If only water, roverhi has the answer.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 14:21   #7

Boat: Casacde 36

UH,uh,uh. Don't try to start the engine until you've turned it a couple of revs by hand. Don't want to make it worse by bending a rod.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:19   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadoc777 View Post
My 4108 seized with water corroding the #4 piston. The motor is in a 1977 Ta Chiao CT41. It’s not obvious how the water entered the cylinder. The exhaust manifold was off recently to repair the shut off linkage. Has anyone had a similar experience and effected a fix?
One of the more common engine problems we see here. Possibly caused by the anti-siphon valve at the top of the cooling water loop getting stuck closed. Another cause is trying to start the engine multiple times without shutting off the cooling water sea cock.

The advice to pull the injectors and spin the engine over to eject the water is good advice.

Good luck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:37   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisOne View Post
Its salt water in the cylinder not coolant?
This is what I was getting at.
With heat exchanger direct drive (down angle) and certain it is saltwater and not coolant/fresh water there is only one way for the saltwater to enter and that’s through the exhaust. If it’s coolant/fresh water then it could be more.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 20:48   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

It's a known problem with 4-107's which I had. because of their installation and design you need to shut off the seawater intake after you shut the motor down. They like to back siphon. Doesn't happen often but I was pretty slack about shutting it off because it was a pain in the butt. 1st time I was able to use a breaker bar and rock it back and forth pouring in Kroil which is the best penetrant on the market. I'd removed the injector 1st and sucked out the water. Once it broke free and I could turn it over with a wrench to my hearts content I fired it up per my mechanic and ran it. then changed everything, ran it, changed everything one last time. The 2nd time it did it, 5 years later, I caught it too late and the engine needed to be rebuilt.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, water