Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 22:52   #1

Boat: Slocum 43
Perkins 4108: Removing stubborn crankshaft pully nut

As seen in the photo, I'm getting nowhere with removing this crankshaft pully nut. The nut is starting to butcher from the adjustable crescent so I'm stopping to ask for help. Any tips welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170724_154632.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	152513
shanegeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 22:54   #2

Re: Perkins 4108: Removing stubborn crankshaft pully nut

Sorry... pulley with a 'e' 😊
Old 23-07-2017, 23:01   #3

And it's the big nut in the centre of the pulley that I'm trying to remove. The small nut I'm using to hold the pulley with rope back to the engine mount.
Old 23-07-2017, 23:04   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Heat the head of the BOLT, wait for it to cool down and use a proper sized wrench.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 23:15   #5

hello,

I've worked on lots of cars with seized bolts. I've had good results by 1) heating bolt with small propane torch (wipe area clean of oil/fuel and check nothing flammable is near) 2) pre-soaking the bolt/nut with pb blaster (at least a few hours, overnight if you have time 3) use correct socket and socket wrench. An adjustable wrench does not have as many contact points as socket and will strip seized bolts quickly.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 23:28   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Ditto Redbeard, dump the crescent wrench. Not only go they only engage two sides (corners) of the hex, they don't even do that very well because they flex or "give" when you put any force on them.

Get a proper 6-point socket for that bolt.

If you can, try to get or borrow an impact wrench. They are great at removing stubborn bolts and nuts. This one doesn't even look that rusty. They also make holding onto the pulley unnecessary.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 23:55   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Are those bolts right or left hand threads?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 00:55   #8

Normally conventional right hand threads, just be careful if using the propane heat method with resulting possible seal damage,

Prior to the heating method i usually give the head of the bolt several well placed wacks with a suitable heavy hammer and that does the job, as you know now using adjustable wrench's are a complete waste of time (and in my book a waste of space!!)

As previous threads the ONLY way to go is with a good quality multi point socket , 6 point sockets may work if seriously good quality but tend to slip off and with your damaged nut dont think you will have much success, where as the multi point socket looks like may find some un damaged portion of the nut,

What I'm going to tell you next you didn't hear from me and i dont recommend it at all BUT I have seen this work: secure the bolt by what ever means you have left as a viable option secure against the engine bed and flick the starter (either you will have the bolt loose or a hole some where through the surrounding walls where the tool slipped off! ) (hence why i dont recommend it!) , but some times in a cruising situation there's no easy alternative.

After the nut is completely un usable a nice sized metal chisel and good sized hammer will do the job, if accessible/available the other option is to weld another suitable sized nut to the damaged one, the heat from the welding will help with the extraction,

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 01:08   #9

Forgot one other very viable final solution that I personally used on a Volvo MD31A engine recently, : that was to drill a hole to around 1/2" or 5/8" then use a pipe extractor tool to remove the bolt, after drilling the correct size hole for the extractor you just bang the extractor into the hole and then use a good size breaker bar and socket,the more tension the deeper the extractor locks into the bolt,: Bolt came out a treat!!

:https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p8248486e
Old 24-07-2017, 02:07   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Reading your post I believe you are talking about a nut and not a bolt. If that is the case and if you've damaged it to the point where you are unable to keep it from rounding off, consider one of these:

Nut Splitter

At least it won't damage any seals like excessive heat may. I always hate it when my fix, i.e. heat, does additional damage that I have to fix.
Old 24-07-2017, 04:07   #11

Sorry, yes it's a bolt not a nut.
So I purchased a good quality 1.5" ring spanner, hooked a chain onto the smaller bolt to stop the pulley moving, and gave the thing all my might with an extender bar attached to the spanner. No joy. I'm no lightweight either at 6'6" so I'm stumped.
I did try heating it (I'm replacing the seal anyway) and will try soaking it in WD40 overnight.
Is it possible that this bolt has a reverse thread???
I was also wondering why there's a small hole in the end of the bolt.
Old 24-07-2017, 04:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegeard View Post
So I purchased a good quality 1.5" ring spanner, hooked a chain onto the smaller bolt to stop the pulley moving, and gave the thing all my might with an extender bar attached to the spanner. No joy. I'm no lightweight either at 6'6" so I'm stumped.
I did try heating it (I'm replacing the seal anyway) and will try soaking it in WD40 overnight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170724_211320.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	152541
Old 24-07-2017, 04:44   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegeard View Post
Well you try belting it the other way - can't hurt.

But I think part of the problem is how you are securing the pulley from turning. Even though you have chained it to something solid, the chain has a slight amount of give in it which negates the shock value of giving the spanner a good thump. Is there a more rigid way of holding the pulley?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 04:45   #14

Me again!- The small hole in the end of the bolt is a centering hole made when this custom set screw/bolt is manufactured,used to support the bolt when being machined in an lathe, when using a "revolving center".Placed in there by using a center drill!

I checked in my 4108 manual and it dosent show any reference to the set bolt being left hand (so as most other engines are it will be conventional thread right hand) just states "remove set bolt",

You said you tried heat, did you whack it several times with a good sized hammer? if not really try to get hold of a air or electric impact hammer gun and bet that will get it out-dont even need to hold the pulley!

Cheers Steve
Old 24-07-2017, 05:15   #15

seems like your getting to the hair pulling stage so take a break and look at this short vid about the thing i mentioned above, only difference just keep the stop button engaged, its more commonly done that i thought!

Cheers Steve

Tags
perkins