Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36   #16

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Sounds like something inside might have let loose, connector rod etc maybe... I was on a delivery with a Universal 30hp and it did something similar, no knocking no indication anything was wrong and it just quit.. It wasn't until we tried to turn it over that we knew something bad had happened.
Check for damper spring parts in the bell housing. I had a 4-107 lock up this way, spring parts jammed between the flywheel and the bell housing.

Would not move either way with a large socket wrench on the crankshaft nut.

Sailed home and was able to dig the bits out, then started right up.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 19:41   #17

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'
Re: Perkins 4108 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Check for damper spring parts in the bell housing. I had a 4-107 lock up this way, spring parts jammed between the flywheel and the bell housing.

we took out the motor today and I will look at that. thanks!
Old 05-06-2014, 14:18   #18

well after alot of research and back and forth and deep contemplation. I pulled out the perkins and sold it to Dons marine salvage in clearwater florida, and I ordered a 20KW electric motor for electric Yachts out of California. I am in process of install. I will update when complete. fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2014, 15:17   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
well after alot of research and back and forth and deep contemplation. I pulled out the perkins and sold it to Dons marine salvage in clearwater florida, and I ordered a 20KW electric motor for electric Yachts out of California. I am in process of install. I will update when complete. fingers crossed.
Well that's very interesting news and I will cross my fingers as well. I also have a 42' boat and am thinking about electric somewhere down the road. To date I have not seen anyone with a boat my size with electric power so am very interested in seeing how the boat performs after the conversion.

If you don't mind, how much was the electric motor? Did it come with controls and all the bits and pieces? AC or DC? Voltage?

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:55   #20

Hi, I have a similar problem. Has anyone have any experience pulling the head off the block. With all head bolts removed it will not budge. Looks like it is frozen to the block. My next step was filling up the cylinders with penetrating fluid and hand crank it. do you think this will work ? Manual does not say anything
Goldjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:08   #21

Hi, i was also looking at electric motor as an alternative to the diesel. Most alternatives i saw was around 30 hp equivalent . The Perkins is around 50 Hp. If I go this route, I would use a small 6000 watts diesel generator to charge the batteries and supplement it with solar panels. Would appreciate any info from those who have gone this route. Thanks
Goldjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:29   #22

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post

That seems like a great idea. Rods don't just loose their caps and lock up. Long before this happens, the bearing cap would be loose and you would hear it and also oil pressure would be gone, also you would smell the burning oil.
Another thing to look at is the timing cover gears. Also disconnect the tranny. I blew bearings on my tranny and engine was locked up.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:06   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldjason View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem. Has anyone have any experience pulling the head off the block. With all head bolts removed it will not budge. Looks like it is frozen to the block. My next step was filling up the cylinders with penetrating fluid and hand crank it. do you think this will work ? Manual does not say anything
Putting it in a hydraulic lock by filling a cylinder with oil would be a good, safe way to free a stuck head in my opinion. I've never done it or seen it done, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well that's very interesting news and I will cross my fingers as well. I also have a 42' boat and am thinking about electric somewhere down the road. To date I have not seen anyone with a boat my size with electric power so am very interested in seeing how the boat performs after the conversion.

If you don't mind, how much was the electric motor? Did it come with controls and all the bits and pieces? AC or DC? Voltage?

Thanks
Skip
price from what i researched was equivalent to doing a full engine change out, its a 3 phase 48 volt 10kw/10kw dual motor electric drive, yes if you convert KW to HP its only equal to 30HP but Im about 99% sure my 1979 Perkins never came close to 50 HP as it would barely get me past 6 knots without getting very upset and hissing and spitting at me ..lol...I am a cruiser and if i can putter along at 4 knots and not have my first mate complaining of noise/smells then i'm good....I will be using solar/wind and have a backup honda genny so in theory i could travel the world and never pull in a fuel dock...and according to the technical specs (motor was designed for my boat) i should be able to get hull speed for short runs 8.3 knots...and My perkins never showed me that...

Tags
perkins