Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 14:39   #1

Perkins 4108 Oil Pressure

Working on a Perkins 4108 and oil pressure on gauge does not read but low pressure red light is out(comes on when engine stopped). Must be two senders??? One is on the mounting base for the oil filter, Where is the other one? Engine running fine for two and one-half hours from launch site to home marina so pressure is there! What to do???
Russ Pichlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 15:03   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Perkins 4108 Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Pichlik View Post
Working on a Perkins 4108 and oil pressure on gauge does not read but low pressure red light is out(comes on when engine stopped). Must be two senders??? One is on the mounting base for the oil filter, Where is the other one? Engine running fine for two and one-half hours from launch site to home marina so pressure is there! What to do???
The other one is down on the left side near the starter and a bit fwd. There is an oil gallery along the block.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:01   #3

Boat: Morgan 37 Out Island Sloop

I'm brousing this pressure thing on the M 4108 because after a 90 mile ride with my boat, which has a M 4108 Perkins, somehow water got to the semp. Now what's inside is plain mayonaise, jelatyn, or what have you. How on earth did water gotten into the oil semp?
Can anyone please advise as to where would I have to look? Maybe the washers and the retainers in the raw water pump failed to do their job and permitted water to mix with the oil? I already asked TED but no reply yet. Thank you.
John L. Cwierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ref the water in oil.
First is it a fresh water cooled engine? If so check fresh water oil level first, if it's low then probably water in oil is coolant. Usually from a leaking head gasket.
But what you propose is possible and would be a much easier fix.
If it's a fresh water cooled engine the head gasket can be tested with a radiator pressure tester, it pressurizes the coolant and you look to see if the pressure bleeds off, cheap and easy to do.

Might want to start your own thread on this
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:19   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Simple and quicker to look for bad head gasket on fresh water cooled engine; disconnect circulating pump drive (remove belt), fill with coolant to top of filler cap neck, start engine, look for bubbles.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:23   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Cwierz View Post
I'm brousing this pressure thing on the M 4108 because after a 90 mile ride with my boat, which has a M 4108 Perkins, somehow water got to the semp. Now what's inside is plain mayonaise, jelatyn, or what have you. How on earth did water gotten into the oil semp?
Can anyone please advise as to where would I have to look? Maybe the washers and the retainers in the raw water pump failed to do their job and permitted water to mix with the oil? I already asked TED but no reply yet. Thank you.
If it is the salt water pump it would take 2 seal failures to allow water into the engine. It seems like you would have noticed oil dripping from the pump if the oil seal had failed and like wise if the water seal had failed. I suppose both seals could fail at the same time and all at once but not likely.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:52   #7

Boat: Morgan 37 Out Island Sloop

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful. John L. Cwierz
John L. Cwierz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, perkins