Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 12:43   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Perkins 4108 hear exchanger removal

Sitting in the Marina, covered in oil from my nose to my knees as i try and get this !#%*>{ heat exchanger out so i can get the leaking ejector pump out. Last two 1/2" nuts holding it to the block i just can't get to and i can't find anything on line with details.
Who's got some advice ? Headed back to Colorado in the morn and i need to take these things home so i can rebuild them.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:13   #2

Boat: 85 dickerson 37 ketch
Re: Perkins 4108 hear exchanger removal

Sarg, I feel your pain, been there, patience, and more patience, take a break, and u will figure it out, picture? If u think its bad now wait till u start on the injector pump.
andyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:56   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I don't recall having to take off the heat exchanger to get to I assume is the injector pump. It is a pain in the ass and takes time. Get the longest 1/2 inch wrench you can find to get to the top bolt. And remove anything that keeps you from being able to swing it. The bottom two are tough but accessible. Use a short wrench on these.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 09:17   #4

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

1 Warsteiner = 2 bolts
2 Warsteiner = 4 bolts
Got it off finally. And you're correct, a longer 1/2" wrench would have saved me at least an hour and a dozen chest bruises.
I made a few videos and took a few pics that'll get posted.
Everything is in the back of truck headed to Colorado as I write this.
The injector pump had two loose twelve point bolts on the top. They also had wire running through them to a little lead ball, supposedly to tell if you messed with them.
I tightened them up quite a bit and left the pump in place. I'll get the heat exchanger cleaned up, powder coated and install all new rubbers but won't know if the pump leaks until i fire it up again. Wish me luck!!
I think I'll do a remote oil filter too while i have the room.
Old 11-07-2016, 14:03   #5

Boat: Creekmore 36

Where is your boat? My wife and I are about to retire to Colorado, south of Colorado Springs and leave our boat on the Ms Gulf coast. Go sailing when the snow gets too deep.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:48   #6

Tfrank, we're docked in the Corpus Christi Muni Marina in the new section, T36. Great place, very secure, floating docks, free wifi if you get a signal, diesel fuel, pump outs for $5 or free if you float over to the DIY station. Landrys, Joe's Crabshack and another bar n grill on the 1st T-Head. Hot showers, laundry, a work area for your computer and quick access to the freeway, liquor and food stores, home depot and everyone's favorite....West Marine.
It's a 15-16 hr drive to get to CCMM from the Springs. We try and get down every 6 weeks for four days. It's all we can do for now.....Big Sigh. We still have jobs.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:30   #7

Picked up my heat exchanger from the powder coater today. Had it sand blasted then finished in a high gloss white. That should make it a little brighter in that cramped engine compartment.
It's gonna hurt putting it back together....I know it will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	127980  

Tags
perkins, removal