Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 08:59   #16

Boat: Cheer Men PT41
Re: Perkins 4108 diesel leak at fuel line connections

Now you're talking - you'll never look back from a double Racor - a bogging engine in rough seas is a problem but with the flick of a lever you're using a fresh filter - has saved me more than once
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:10   #17
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
The cost of a new fuel line complete with fittings is much less than the injector pump rebuild that would be required if a piece of Teflon tape clogs the works.

The threads on a flare or compression fitting just provide the tension for the surface area of the seal. They have no sealing surface.
Read the first 4 words of post 7. As a moderately successful commercial marine engineer I bow to your superior knowledge regarding compression fittings. I had no idea.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 13:23   #18

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Read the first 4 words of post 7. As a moderately successful commercial marine engineer I bow to your superior knowledge regarding compression fittings. I had no idea.

No insult intended.
Old 03-07-2016, 14:00   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Now that is true outside-of-the-box thinking. Lots of filters come with pipe threads and use hose bibs and hose clamps, and they are easy to keep sealed. And yes, there you CAN use teflon tape as long as you wrap the male thread without getting any tape over the end of the threads.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 16:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Mike you can use stuff called Loctite 515 flange sealant or Loctite hydraulic pipe sealant. Just smear it all over the olives, do up the fitting, wait 20 mins then run test. I used it on my leaking Cav primary filter & fixed it no worries but I do have flexible fuel lines ( Yanmar engine) which of course dont get affected by vibration as a solid ones do. Agree with other posts you dont want thread tape in your pump. I use it on the positive pressure side of the lift pump but I have the ability to strip & clean injection pump if required ( hasnt been a problem so far). I only wrap it around the olives & dont put it on the thread. Much less risk for you financialy as mentioned in other post to buy another fuel line or use Loctite if you decide against a new filter assembly. Actually like my CAV filter as you can buy cheap filters for them anywhere. Let us know how you get on.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, perkins