Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 10:43   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Perkins 4108 Air Filter Installation

As an owner of a 1991 vintage Perkins 4108 I often looked at the orginal "bug catcher" air filter (not a filter, just something to keep bugs from being sucked into the engine) and thought that can't be good for the engine - dust on the boat means dust into the engine.

Anyway, I found a K&N filter on their website, and with a little hose and a few parts for a PCV system from the local auto parts store, I rigged this up. I am not putting the model number for the filter since so many Perkins variations are out there, but just take off the old air screen and measure the intake manifold diameter and go to the K&N web site. I drilled the hole in the top of the K&N filter small so the PCV elbow would press fit in and stay without having anything inside to potentially drop off and get in the engine.

50 hours so far and seems to work very well, no oil vapor in the engine room and a little quieter as well as filtered air for the engine. Total cost about $40.00 US. $30 for the K&N filter and $10 for hose, clamps and elbows if you don't already have them in the spare parts bin.

I've seen other solutions, but this one seems simple and works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins Air Filter.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	29089  
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, perkins