Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 08:18   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Perkins 4107 Control Panel

hello..my first post so please be gentle,i have a perkins 4107 in a choey lee 36 everything is now running smoothly in no small part to this forum...many thanks..my question...is it possible to fit a vetus mp34 electronic instrument panel to the 4107,I would also appreciate any comments on selecting and fitting instruments..once again thank you..
__________________

__________________
yeschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 22:27   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: australia
Posts: 467
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

The original 4.107 came with a Generator, Capillary type L'O & Temp gauges and possibly fitted with a mech drive Tacho, all would have to be modified to suit the Vetus unit. The easy option would be to select the instruments you want then buy them as matched units could save $$ & Hair.
__________________

__________________
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 02:36   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

thank you shakey..as i expected.. at the moment the tacho is the only instrument working so a little investigation seems to be in order..
__________________
yeschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,595
Images: 240
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yeschef.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:54   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

thank you Gordmay..nice to be aboard.."life is an ocean sail it"
__________________
yeschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:32   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 22
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

Hello yes chef. I have a 37 foot endeavour ketch with the same engine and the same issues with the control panel. The wiring on this boat has been a nightmare and I've had to trace individual wires through bulkheads through the floor system through the overhead and back to find out that it's a blank wire time and time again. Purchased the boat at an unbelievable bargain given its general overall condition and the strength of the hull but have a lot of work ahead of me to do the renovations I'm anticipating before being able to seriously cruise. I have been considering the same move you're making to electronics but haven't found everything yet that would be needed. Also saving the engine for last and trying to take care of the head pressure water battery system lighting and leaking ports before tackling that as the last major project. Keep in touch if you'd like and we'll compare notes on the direction that we're headed. I assume you have all the manuals you need for the engine? They're readily available online. If you don't send me a PM and I'll forward you a link. Good luck!
__________________
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:38   #7
Registered User
 
wunderluster's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Boat: CSY 33
Posts: 167
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

I have just spent a few hundreds dollars and too much time trying to get all of my instruments working on a 1983 Perkins 4-108. I'm looking at ordering a new instrument panel with gauges, OEM wiring harness all the way to the sending units, and new sending units. The price at Transatlantic Diesel is $700 for the complete package.

Has anyone else gone this route?
__________________
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:19   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 329
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeschef View Post
hello..my first post so please be gentle,i have a perkins 4107 in a choey lee 36 everything is now running smoothly in no small part to this forum...many thanks..my question...is it possible to fit a vetus mp34 electronic instrument panel to the 4107,I would also appreciate any comments on selecting and fitting instruments..once again thank you..
The 4-107 is such a simple reliable engine...why complicate that? At least consider re doing the gauges as they were originally installed? Stewart Warner gauges from a auto supply work quite well and are available with capillary tubes. I use them and yes, the faces are waterproof...I tested them before installing them and that was 15 years ago...
__________________
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:38   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Posts: 165
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

After much research I bought a panel and sensors from acdcmarineinc.com . Didn't like the plastic panel the gauges were mounted in so fabbed one of aluminum adding a few extra features like red led idiot lights for LOP and HWT, blue LED gauge lights, USB and battery power sockets, starter relay and engine kill cable. Then I had the panel anodized at a local shop.

Their gauges, harness and sensors are very good, love the tach with built in engine hr gauge. Tach hooks to alternator sine wave (tach) output.

Their tech guy Mr.Ramsey, who also builds the panels is most helpful and knowledgeable. In addition to panel circuit information he also sent me schematics for battery power management circuits which were unique and by which I intend to reconfigure my existing scheme. It reduces the battery selector switch to one On/Off switch and makes perfect sense. Eliminates the chance of blowing the alternator by accident opening the circuit.
__________________
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:46   #10
Registered User
 
wunderluster's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Boat: CSY 33
Posts: 167
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post
After much research I bought a panel and sensors from acdcmarineinc.com . Didn't like the plastic panel the gauges were mounted in so fabbed one of aluminum adding a few extra features like red led idiot lights for LOP and HWT, blue LED gauge lights, USB and battery power sockets, starter relay and engine kill cable. Then I had the panel anodized at a local shop.

Their gauges, harness and sensors are very good, love the tach with built in engine hr gauge. Tach hooks to alternator sine wave (tach) output.

Their tech guy Mr.Ramsey, who also builds the panels is most helpful and knowledgeable. In addition to panel circuit information he also sent me schematics for battery power management circuits which were unique and by which I intend to reconfigure my existing scheme. It reduces the battery selector switch to one On/Off switch and makes perfect sense. Eliminates the chance of blowing the alternator by accident opening the circuit.
I called acdcmarine also. I like the OEM wiring harness from Tansatlantic better than the junction box acdcmarine uses. The price was almost the same. I'm glad that worked for you, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Hopefully, the OP finds this information useful.
__________________
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 13:20   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Re: Perkins 4107 Control Panel

i would like to thank everybody for your information...i have been a member since 2013.. unfortunately because of my dyslexia i n
have not had the courage to to post. i have been made aware that grammar is .. more important than content i will read and be informed from the background yeschef.
__________________
yeschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:23   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 329
Re: Perkins 4107 Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeschef View Post
i would like to thank everybody for your information...i have been a member since 2013.. unfortunately because of my dyslexia i n
have not had the courage to to post. i have been made aware that grammar is .. more important than content i will read and be informed from the background yeschef.
Don't even go there.. you are as valid and meaningful as anyone on this forum. People that nitpick grammar are either bored or intellectually insecure.
I for one hope you will post anytime you wish...
__________________
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:46   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Posts: 165
Re: Perkins 4107 Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Don't even go there.. you are as valid and meaningful as anyone on this forum. People that nitpick grammar are either bored or intellectually insecure.
I for one hope you will post anytime you wish...
Ditto here as well.
There are some real first class idiot snipers who contribute nothing yet unfortunately have writing/grammar skills. Moderator catches most fortunately. Rather hear legitimate questions and answers than empty grammer. Remember too there are many on this forum from all over the world who's first language isn't english so grammer etc. isn't really a major worry. conveying information as best can is the goal.
Please keep involved!
__________________
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:49   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab
Posts: 59
Re: perkins 4107 control panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
I have just spent a few hundreds dollars and too much time trying to get all of my instruments working on a 1983 Perkins 4-108. I'm looking at ordering a new instrument panel with gauges, OEM wiring harness all the way to the sending units, and new sending units. The price at Transatlantic Diesel is $700 for the complete package.

Has anyone else gone this route?
Haven't needed to go that route. However, in my experience, Transatlantic has always beat price compared to local Perkins distributor, and they will sell you exactly what you want/need, nothing more or less. Another route to try could be a price quote from Caterpillar for Perkins parts, but I doubt price will beat Transatlantic.
__________________
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:54   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Campbell River, BC
Boat: Union 36
Posts: 81
Re: Perkins 4107 Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Don't even go there.. you are as valid and meaningful as anyone on this forum. People that nitpick grammar are either bored or intellectually insecure.
I for one hope you will post anytime you wish...
Well said.
__________________

__________________
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
control panel, perkins

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perkins 4107 Starter billwa Engines and Propulsion Systems 11 10-09-2011 08:22
Want To Buy: Perkins 4107 Starter billwa Classifieds Archive 8 03-08-2011 20:42
For Sale: Perkins 4107 - You Pull - SoCal Butler Classifieds Archive 1 13-06-2011 15:59
Perkins 4107 Fuel Lines billwa Engines and Propulsion Systems 44 09-08-2010 08:27
Perkins 4107 - Isle of Wight Simes Classifieds Archive 4 07-02-2009 05:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.