Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 13:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Perkins 4.236 - velvet drive fun....

I've been restoring this old Gulfstar (1975, hull #3) that I bought. We were able to take it out for a family sail this last weekend and all went well until the return the next day.

The river is running over flood stage and I thought to power it up to gett off the dock only to hear the starter to clunk. Try the key a few times to be sure and then head below to see about what was up and perhaps jumping the house battery to the starting circuit.

Open the engine room door and SMOKE. Not really a fire but full of smoke. To make the long story short the starter would not turn (more on that later) and the starter ground to starter battery wire was undersized and over heated as it dissipated the full stall current of the starter.

I had planned on replacing that wire and had the replacement on hand and was able to put it in place.

The first thought was that the starter was shot. Off it came (must weigh 30 pounds) and with a little creativity I was able to test it. It ran fine.

Digging around the flywheel ring gear with a finger produced a piece of metal that was jammed between the ring gear and the flywheel housing thus causing the failure to turn. Sadly, I knocked this back into the housing were it waits for a future day.... Not sure what it is, Any thoughts?

I'll be pulling the velvet drive transmission off this coming winter for a rebuild. This is to fix an oil leak out the front seal that ends up in the bell housing and drips out and into the oil catchment pan that I installed. This will be the chance to find out what is loose in there.

--Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:24   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Perkins 4.236 - velvet drive fun....

Could be a piece of damper plate or a gear off your ring drive on the flywheel. Any way to try and turn the engine over without the starter? Everything on those 4-236 engines is heavy if I remember right.
kind regards,
Old 07-06-2011, 14:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Perkins 4.236 - velvet drive fun....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Could be a piece of damper plate or a gear off your ring drive on the flywheel. Any way to try and turn the engine over without the starter? Everything on those 4-236 engines is heavy if I remember right.
kind regards,
I thought about a tooth. The engine starts up right away so no chance of listening for a lost tooth.

I do plan on taking out the starter again some time soon and setting a web cam recording the ring gear and turn it over by hand. It takes a breaker bar to get it to move. I'll need to get a socket that fits the pully nut (almost 2" I think) to get this going.

--Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, perkins