Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2013, 20:13   #16

Re: Perkins 4-108Injection Pump Alignment

thanx for the advise OUtwest34au on timing. I set it and will forget about it.
By the way, I figured out what the knocking sound while turning the crank by hand was --- I had readjusted my IP_timing/raw_water_pump gear and had misaligned it. After setting it right, it all turns without binding or any noise.
I'm still in the process of getting everything back together, so haven't solved my low rpm problem yet. Will inform more as it comes.

dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 19:16   #17

problem finally solved

Finally -- Problem Solved.
Two years later, after tossing this around in two separate posts on this forum alone (Perkins Fuel Injection Pump Timing Problem, Perkins 4-108Injection Pump Alignment) and a few other diesel forums on the internet, I've discovered why my new rebuilt Perkins 4-108 fuel injection pump had to be retarded 5/16" to even get my motor to start, and then with a lack of power while in gear.
The answer to my problem lied in the fact that the original IP shaft broke in two and this breakage forced me to buy another rebuilt pump from Armando in S. Calif. This month (two years later), I removed the IP and sent it back to Armando to have him check it out again along with the injectors. After running all the tests he sent it all back a perfect report. This time however, Armando suggested that I check out the timing gear that the IP is connected to, as this gear could have shifted out of position when the IP shaft broke.
Sure enough, I pulled the water pump">raw water pump off and the timing cover and discovered my raw water pump coupler was broken half off and the timing gear was out of align. After replacing the coupler and resetting the timing gear, all is fine. I now have the same RPM's I had originally (1900-2000 in gear) and the motor starts easily with the IP set exactly on line (no more 5/16" retarded) where it is supposed to be set. If I only would have known this before pulling the IP, I would have saved myself a lot of extra work and costs.
I will next install another heavy duty raw water filter in front of the raw water pump to prevent this same tragedy from happening again. We have a lot of kelp around here in the PNW.
Thanks for all your help on this one. If you ever need a good IP mechanic, I recommend Armando at RS marine Engine Service in San Pedro, California.

dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote

fuel, perkins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: