Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 18:44   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37 sloop
Perkins 4-108 whit smoke

I just paid 500 bucks for the local diesel'expert' to trouble shoot white smoke at idle. End result: he said i needed to 'run the engine hard for a couple of days'. Background: i had the injectors and injector pump rebuilt. I installed myself being careful to note the pump timing. The white smoke came about around this time. The smoke is enough to be annoying to those around the boat but not what I would call heavy. It subsides significantly but never completely, at rpm and underway. The mechanic pulled the injectors. The last injector was wet. Sent them back to the rebuild shop where apparently on had some crud in it. Reinstalled. Same problem. Adjusted timing on injector pump. Same smoke. Final answer: it beeds more use. I dont buy it. Anyone have a similar experience?
Stirfryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau 456
Mine was rebuilt about 7 years ago with Folley kit. Runs great but smokes a lot upon startup. White gray. Then it goes away when engine is loaded and warm.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau 456
I rotated the pump to advance timing years ago but startup smoke came back. A guy in either folley or TAD told me it was one of the valve guides that was allowing some oil to drip down. I just live with it for now. Maybe someday I ll fix it but for now even though its a bit inconvenient I dont see the need.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:27   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Perkins 4-108 whit smoke

Cost Effective Maintenance - Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story...

Tells the story of smoke.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:07   #5

Boat: Endurance 35

Hi I have the same problem, it started when I had the injectors refurbished. I had all and sundry tell me what they suspected from a leaky head gasket to copper washers missing, She dosn't loose any more oil than before and still runs like a dream and starts first time with out heaters, I don't think it means any thing serious but I am no expert:-)
JulianGullsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:44   #6

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirfryd View Post
I just paid 500 bucks for the local diesel'expert' to trouble shoot white smoke at idle. End result: he said i needed to 'run the engine hard for a couple of days'. Background: i had the injectors and injector pump rebuilt. I installed myself being careful to note the pump timing. The white smoke came about around this time. The smoke is enough to be annoying to those around the boat but not what I would call heavy. It subsides significantly but never completely, at rpm and underway. The mechanic pulled the injectors. The last injector was wet. Sent them back to the rebuild shop where apparently on had some crud in it. Reinstalled. Same problem. Adjusted timing on injector pump. Same smoke. Final answer: it beeds more use. I dont buy it. Anyone have a similar experience?
Sounds like the timing is a bit retarded. Try tweaking it a little more.
Had this issue only much worse with an Isuzu C240. The timing was way out but works fine now that it is back in spec.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:56   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 37 sloop
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll do some more troubleshooting and report back!
Stirfryd is offline   Reply With Quote