Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 11:58   #1

Perkins 4-108 water pump

My newly rebuilt 4-108 suddenly sounded loud and was shutdown once I realized there was no water coming out of the exhaust pipe.
Quickly determined that after removing the waterpump impellor, the shaft could be turned by hand. Removed the pump and found the shaft drive coupling had failed.
Question is; where are the broken bits. Are they at the bottom of the oil sump or rattling around ready to do damage when the engine is next running.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190526-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	192764
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:47   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Perkins 4-108 water pump

Oh man. They didn't align the water pump mount. There is a tool but you can do it without, but it is a little tricky.
I don't think the 2 ears can make the oil sump. They are probably down in the bottom of the timing cover.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Oh man. They didn't align the water pump mount. There is a tool but you can do it without, but it's a little tricky.
I don't think the 2 ears can make the oil sump. They are probably down in the bottom of the timing cover.
There is this alignment tool here, https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...lignment-tool/
Not the same as the drawing in the workshop manual (attached). Looks like it is used with the water pump fully assembled. Does anyone have experience using this tool.
Looking at the photo K1 in the manual, gives me hope the bits are at the bottom of the timing cover. They'll have to come out. Hate to ruin the newly painted look.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_153320.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	192766
Old 27-05-2019, 15:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If the ears are in the sump they're no problem, but agree they're in the timing cover and could get involved with the oil flow around the crank gear at higher rpm. I think the timing cover will have to be removed. You probably can't get them with an extended magnet and in any case don't want to risk magnetizing the gear.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 16:11   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

The 4 water pump mounting studs are welded to a ring that needs to be centered over the fuel pump drive gear and the opening in the timing cover for the water pump. There is a lot of movement possible so you can't just guess when you are putting the engine back together.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 22:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
The 4 water pump mounting studs are welded to a ring that needs to be centered over the fuel pump drive gear and the opening in the timing cover for the water pump. There is a lot of movement possible so you can't just guess when you are putting the engine back together.
Thank you Ecos. There is this https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...lignment-tool/ but its not the same as the drawing in the workshop manual(pic). Looks like it can be used on a fully assembled pump. Has anyone used this tool and commented on its accuracy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_153316.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	192817
Old 27-05-2019, 22:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If the ears are in the sump they're no problem, but agree they're in the timing cover and could get involved with the oil flow around the crank gear at higher rpm. I think the timing cover will have to be removed. You probably can't get them with an extended magnet and in any case don't want to risk magnetizing the gear.

Very sensible advice. Might be OK for calm weather, but there's no knowing for when it gets rough and you really need the engine.
Old 28-05-2019, 09:38   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Go back to whoever rebuilt it and make them fix it. The timing cover must be removed and the timing gears must be inspected for damage.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 00:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Go back to whoever rebuilt it and make them fix it. The timing cover must be removed and the timing gears must be inspected for damage.
Yes of course, but difficult in this case. There is an international border and some distance in the way. You can be sure some compensation will be sought.
Old 29-05-2019, 03:58   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Any damage the broken pieces may have done is all that they're likely to do.

There is quite a bit of room between the crank gear and the bottom of the timing cover; it is unlikely in the extreme that any amount of 'rough weather' short of capsizing will get those pieces back in contact with a turning gear, in which case they'd likely be flung aside with no ill effect.

Of course, some just are uncomfortable with whatever level of uncertainty there might be, and there's a bit more possibility that the pieces might have caused damage that could eventually escalate into something worse, though this too is unlikely.

Since you have the pump off, can you tell if the coupling is iron (that's what it looks like in the picture) or aluminum? If aluminum, then you have no worries.

As for centralizing the drive, in section 'M' of this manual

http://www.atlanticmobilemarine.com/...p%20Manual.pdf

it describes a method of accomplishing this without the tool, essentially by loosening the bolts holding the drive plate so they will allow the plate to move but will hold it in position, installing the pump, turning the engine over several times and then carefully removing the pump and securely tightening the drive plate retaining screws.

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for this, but if the rebuilders are amenable to making good on their rebuild, perhaps you can take it back to them using the engine sparingly en route.

Me? If it ran and sounded OK after replacing the coupling (14.00 US from Parts 4 Engines) and aligning the drive, I'd run it as is...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 04:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

There is quite a bit of room between the crank gear and the bottom of the timing cover; it is unlikely in the extreme that any amount of 'rough weather' short of capsizing will get those pieces back in contact with a turning gear, in which case they'd likely be flung aside with no ill effect.

Of course, some just are uncomfortable with whatever level of uncertainty there might be, and there's a bit more possibility that the pieces might have caused damage that could eventually escalate into something worse, though this too is unlikely.

Since you have the pump off, can you tell if the coupling is iron (that's what it looks like in the picture) or aluminum? If aluminum, then you have no worries.

it describes a method of accomplishing this without the tool, essentially by loosening the bolts holding the drive plate so they will allow the plate to move but will hold it in position, installing the pump, turning the engine over several times and then carefully removing the pump and securely tightening the drive plate retaining screws.

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for this, but if the rebuilders are amenable to making good on their rebuild, perhaps you can take it back to them using the engine sparingly en route.

Me? If it ran and sounded OK after replacing the coupling (14.00 US from Parts 4 Engines) and aligning the drive, I'd run it as is...
The drive coupling is definitely cast iron.
Thanks for the additional information.
Old 29-05-2019, 04:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

The broken drive coupling is definitely cast iron. Thanks for the additional information.

Tags
perkins, pump, water