Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 10:31   #1

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 41'
Perkins 4-108 w/ no gauges. Help!

As the title states, my perkins 4-108 has NO gauges. The previous owner removed the entire instrument panel, wiring, etc. for god knows what reason. Obviously I need to get a new panel installed along with the corresponding sensors/senders. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase these items? I also need an alternator and kill switch solenoid while I'm at it. Any help or advise on the installation would e appreciated as well!
Ryanthamilton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Perkins 4-108 w/ no gauges. Help!

I have a 4108 running a generator. Any brand gauge will work. Electric gauges are the easiest to install. Amazon and Ebay will be the cheapest places with the most choices. Once you have your gauges, buy a hole saw to cut the holes. A standard ampmeter needs heavy wire to and from the engine. A volt meter uses light wire and may give you enough info. Another option is a shunt ampmeter. The shunt is mounted near the engine and connected with heavy wire and light wire goes between the shunt and gauge.
The gauges need 12 volts to operate and for lighting. Usually the power to the gauges goes thru the ignition key. The light circuit often has a rheostat to dim the lights. If you don't have a wiring diagram try looking online.
My 4108 uses a generic stop solenoid. It's mounted behind the injector pump and connects to the stop lever with a piece of wire with bent ends. A button with 12 volts energizes it. The stop lever can be operated by a cable, too.
Tachs usually operate off the alternator although some have a crank pickup. You may need hands on help with this. I don't have tachs on my generators and the mains have senders. I don't use stock alternators.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:04   #3

Just match the gauges to the senders and you are good to go. If you are getting a new alternator you can pull your tach of that.
A nice thing to have is a oil pressure and temp alarm buzzer also. Another stop option is a T handle/ cable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:52   #4

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 41'

Please forgive my ignorance here, but if I were to purchase gauges such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_1_11&sr=8-11

Amazon.com: Auto Meter 2635 Z-Series Electric Water Temperature Gauge: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-264...GZKMA2X26QDHYY

I can just mount and wire them up to the senders that should already be installed in my engine?
Ryanthamilton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 18:24   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Perkins 4-108 w/ no gauges. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthamilton7 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance here, but if I were to purchase gauges such as these:

Amazon.com: Auto Meter 2635 Z-Series Electric Water Temperature Gauge: Automotive

I can just mount and wire them up to the senders that should already be installed in my engine?

You should use Marine gauges.
There going to last a lot longer.
You might consider manual gauges, with alarm buzzers and lessen to wiring hook up.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 18:40   #6

They look ok for a basic gauge set mounted in a covered situation.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthamilton7 View Post

Those seem pretty expensive, hopefully that means they are good ones. As mentioned before, you need to make sure the sender is appropriate for the gauge for accuracy. many are, but hard to know. I think my 4-108 had VDO brand gauges.
Where do you live? Most the marine parts salvage yards I run in to have boxes of new marine gauges from failed boat builders etc. They are usually very inexpensive.

Ebay is probably a good place to look also. Here's a full set of VDO for less than $40.
2000 listings. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gauges-Set-4...AsucLQ&vxp=mtr

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins