Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 15:35   #31

Boat: Morgan 414
Re: Perkins 4.108 - Rebuild or Replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish2008 View Post
i have a 4108 in my boat and i have absolute faith in it. if and when the time comes and it decieds its tired i will rebuild it. the 4108 is a simple engine with no rubber timing belts to snap on you just solid steel gears unlike the more modern engines, and now they have redesigned the rear seal and can suppy you with one that wont leak unlike the old ones markus
I have 4.108 in my Morgan 413 that needs a new transmission and this is a good time to take care of the oil leak. would you please provide me with further information on the redesigned oil seal that won't leak. Thank you. Long1Pham
long1pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:28   #32

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by long1pham View Post
I have 4.108 in my Morgan 413 that needs a new transmission and this is a good time to take care of the oil leak. would you please provide me with further information on the redesigned oil seal that won't leak. Thank you. Long1Pham
I also would like that info. I have an '82 36' Cape Dory that's making oil in the "engine bilge" like mad. And that sucks because I cleaned out that bilge and then wiped it down with paper towels and soap & water until it was "New" clean, and now it's nasty again.....Grrrrrr!!!
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 20:42   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

There is somebody that found a 1 piece seal to fit over the crank flange but they don't make it easy to find. The real pro's don't have a problem with the factory rope seal anyway, it lasts an easy 10 years if done right. The flange is not really made for a rubber seal anyway as it has grooves cut into it to direct oil back towards the sump. That is not the way a lip seal works.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:16   #34

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

We had our 4.236 rebuilt in Malaysia in 2013 (it was originally a rebuild, installed 1980, from a sunken trawler in Cyclone Tracy 1974). We imported all the parts from the UK and supervised mechanics for the rebuild. Could not fault the work and the motor just keeps on! Incidentally, Batam in Indonesia is serious Perkins' parts territory.
Go for rebuild.
Old 09-11-2015, 21:16   #35

Had a 4-107 and a 4-108, they are both reliable engines but they both leaked oil. Also not self bleeding fuel system. Bit the bullet and had a Westerbeke W44B installed. Twice as quiet, twice as smooth, daughter approved. Dad why didn't you get this before? Hold a conversation in the cockpit now at normal sound levels. Self bleeding and no oil in the bilge. New engine also lower rpm, 3,000 max vs 3,600 max on the 4-108. New engine also is also all mechanical with no electronics to fail. One last item, very clean exhaust.
lcurcur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:02   #36

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
There is somebody that found a 1 piece seal to fit over the crank flange but they don't make it easy to find. The real pro's don't have a problem with the factory rope seal anyway, it lasts an easy 10 years if done right. The flange is not really made for a rubber seal anyway as it has grooves cut into it to direct oil back towards the sump. That is not the way a lip seal works.
Well....i'm not a real Pro, just an average Joe with enough wrenches to take stuff apart and put it back together. I want whatever makes it quit leaking oil. Where's the best place to order parts that will actually fit the first time and are NOT made in Taiwan China Korea ?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:43   #37

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Well....i'm not a real Pro, just an average Joe with enough wrenches to take stuff apart and put it back together. I want whatever makes it quit leaking oil. Where's the best place to order parts that will actually fit the first time and are NOT made in Taiwan China Korea ?

I bought all my parts from Trans Atlantic Diesels, inc. Most everything was in a Perkins package even the rear seal. I think the bearings were generic.
The seal thing is tricky but if you do it right it's supposed to last a good while. Don't try it without looking at the service manual because you won't believe you can make it fit otherwise.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, perkins 4.108, rebuild