Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2012, 09:37   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Perkins 4.108 Rebuild?

On my 4-236 that was "making oil" fast (noted above), I was in the haulout slip and minutes away from hauling the boat and removing the engine for disassembly, when my great machanic, wanted to check the compression one more time. (this was after we found the injector spewing raw fuel, and compression on that cylinder was down) We had run the boat for an hour prior to getting to the haulout. Ouila! The compression was back to full compression just by running it an hour after fixing the injector!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:54   #32

Lots of great advice here, virtually a master class on the 4108 and possible challenges. Personally I would not trust an engine with such diverse oil pressures, temperatures and rev variations, I still believe for peace of mind, and confidence in your power unit, which is just amazing when you need it most on a lee shore, or negotiating a difficult entrance, I would do the overhall and be certain, it's probably not just your well being at stake here.
Good luck with whatever you do

Old 22-08-2012, 14:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelssson View Post
Lots of great advice here, virtually a master class on the 4108 and possible challenges. Personally I would not trust an engine with such diverse oil pressures, temperatures and rev variations, I still believe for peace of mind, and confidence in your power unit, which is just amazing when you need it most on a lee shore, or negotiating a difficult entrance, I would do the overhall and be certain, it's probably not just your well being at stake here.
Good luck with whatever you do
So what you are saying is whenever you have an engine issue you don't just fix it, but you would do a full rebuild.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 17:50   #34

Cheechako, My best guess(and this is a guess) is that the duff injector put so much raw fuel into the cylinder that it washed all of the oil out of the rings and walls that it gave you low compression. A proper injector spray and an hour running fixed it up. It proves that a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold. A new injector compared to a 5000 dollar overhaul is a real bargain. Some days are lucky._____Grant.
Old 22-08-2012, 18:02   #35

Ok, so here's the latest... Spent the day troubleshooting my cooling system. Began by going over the side to REALLY clean my cooling water intake. Cleaned my sea-strainer, and checked my pump impeller (ok). I then pulled my oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and main heat exchanger and cleaned all of the above. With the exception of some minor calcification, they were'nt bad. I also checked my exhaust riser and water jacket which checked out ok. With everything buttoned up, I ran the engine and unfortunately it still overheated at the dock. I took it out for around 10 or 15 minutes and I was hitting around 210 degrees at around 1500 rpm. I seem to have plenty of raw water coming out of my exhaust, and perhaps even better than before. I'd like to think so considering I spent a whole day cleaning the raw water system ;-)

I have to deliver a boat tomorrow, but when I get back, I'll go ahead and change the thermostat, because, quite frankly, it's the only thing I haven't checked as far as the over-heating issue anyway. I'm checking my manual and am unclear as to how to access the thermostat. From what I can tell, I have to drain the coolant. Then remove the coolant resevoir to allow access to the thermostat which I believe is just below it. Am I correct?

Thanks for your continued guidance.
Old 22-08-2012, 18:12   #36

Sapadeni, how was the oil pressure after the engine heated up?____Grant.
Old 22-08-2012, 18:53   #37

I continued to have about 40 psi at around 1700 rpm.
Old 22-08-2012, 19:35   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Hang in there you are doing great.

My manual indicates what you say. Drain coolant, remove header tank and access to the thermostat is under that at the front of the engine.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:55   #39

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hang in there you are doing great.

My manual indicates what you say. Drain coolant, remove header tank and access to the thermostat is under that at the front of the engine.
... and post again, please...
Old 22-08-2012, 20:08   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
... and post again, please...
Not sure what you mean. Here are the Perkins pages if that's what you meant...

Sorry for the crap resolution. I think this is a copy of a copy of a copy of a scan - LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perkins1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	45410   Click image for larger version

Name:	perkins2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	45411  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:22   #41

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;1019411]Not sure what you mean. Here are the Perkins pages if that's what you meant...

Only asking sapadeni to keep us posted.
Old 22-08-2012, 20:24   #42

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

40 Psi is not bad at all, a bit low , probably you get 40 in cold, what about with the engine hot?

There is 2 realistic places in the engine to get all this amount of fuel in the oil, 1. Fuel lift pump, 2. The seal at the shaft injector pump .
I suspect the seal in the injection pump

I have a perkins 4236 and i get the same overheating problem time agoo, now if you are done with heat exchangers and raw water pump, time to look at the termostat and fresh water pump.

And to be honest , before strip the engine, check all the above and do the compresion tests etc,,, a 4018 is a tough engine .

If this help my 4236 read 55 psi in cold and drop to about 45 to 50 in hot.
Cheers.
Old 22-08-2012, 23:37   #43

You may still need to de coke the mixing elbow.

Old 23-08-2012, 02:08   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
So what you are saying is whenever you have an engine issue you don't just fix it, but you would do a full rebuild.
Certainly not.

Reading all the issues it, the 4108 has had, it being, like mine is, a bit of an antique, (which is serviced and looked after so I know it is in peak condition and very reliable) but appears, and I may be mistaken about the owners level of care, not to have been looked after as recommended, he seems to have been honest in his disclosures, and from a distance and not being able to be hands on I can arrive at no other conclusion, and especially as his last post shows continuing overheating, so, unless he gets an expert fitter to do all the checks, rather than a hopeful DIY one my advice stays the same, and is based on the fear of a further mecahnical breakdown just at the very worst moment to have one, and with other souls aboard.
Old 23-08-2012, 04:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelssson View Post
Certainly not.

Reading all the issues it, the 4108 has had, it being, like mine is, a bit of an antique, (which is serviced and looked after so I know it is in peak condition and very reliable) but appears, and I may be mistaken about the owners level of care, not to have been looked after as recommended, he seems to have been honest in his disclosures, and from a distance and not being able to be hands on I can arrive at no other conclusion, and especially as his last post shows continuing overheating, so, unless he gets an expert fitter to do all the checks, rather than a hopeful DIY one my advice stays the same, and is based on the fear of a further mecahnical breakdown just at the very worst moment to have one, and with other souls aboard.
I have done my own maintenance on the 4,108 out of necessity and one thing I have found is that a deficiency in one aspect of operation of the engine will induce a deficiency in another aspect. In mine it was over heating, after cleaning the cooling system I removed and cleaned the exhaust/water mixing elbow, this was more than half clogged by coke, this improved the over heating allowing it to breath but temp was still at the higher end of OK. Further investigation revealed the timing was out a smidge. As of now its running fine, without a rebuild.

Tags
perkins, rebuild

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: