Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 07:23   #1

Perkins 4-108 Overhaul

I am just about run out of options in trying to do an overhaul of the Perkins 4-108 diesel. After removing all the head bolts the head will not part from the main block. It must be frozen to the block. Was able to turn the engine finally at the front end pulley after flooding the cylinders with penetrating oil. The service manual was no help. It simply says remove the head bolts and remove the head from engine block. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Goldjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Perkins 4-108 Overhaul

Here everyone thinks you can rebuild a Perkins for a dime. If you are serious take it to a reputable shop and spend the money to get it done right. Total rebuild every thing. And it will cost you about $7000.00 or call TA Diesel and buy one from them. NO RELATION. I have installed two of their motors and they both fired on the second turn and ran perfect. So if you don't have a big hammer or $7000.00 ????????? Best of Luck
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Cylinder heads do not just fall off once you've removed the head bolts... Find a nice convenient protrusion to pry on... NOT the mating surface... Give that corner a little encouragement with a copper hammer...

PS: Most of the time when heads do not separate when motivated by tools... There is usually a missed fastener still bolting it down...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:35   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you have the rockers off so the valves are closed, just crank the engine. It should pop right off.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12   #5

Double check that all blots are removed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20   #6

Thanks for all the positive responses. All head bolts were definitely out. Yes I was thinking of cranking it to pop the head off. Yes all the rockers are off. Hope the compression is sufficient to pop the head off. Will probably do a Youtube video later for those attempting to do it themselves. Any new suggestions are still welcome !
Old 18-10-2014, 16:40   #7

Dave, I hope that you were successful in removing the cylinder head on your Perkins 4.108 because I am in the middle of removing mine. I hope you can give me some advise.

How do you remove the coolant tank? The nuts on the holder for the rocker arms were very tight, I was afraid that I might break the studs. I have not removed the nuts that hold the head on the block, that's next.

I would appreciate any advise that you can give me. I thing I have cracked head, water in #2 cylinder.

Dave W
dwhite1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:40   #8

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. The head was off and cleaned. No major corrosion in the cylinders. We ordered the new set of gaskets and should have the engine for test run when everything is put back and hop to sail by spring.
One set of caution. There seem to be two different type of head gaskets. One of them is identical to the 107. The application seems to be different from the mfr. One type requires some kind of sealer before the head is put on. The other type requires the gasket to be put on dry. Could not figure out the reason.
Old 19-10-2014, 16:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Patience.
We have disassembled 12 Perkins 4.108's so far this year and have 4 more in the shop. Sometimes it is easier if you remove the head studs, but you need a proper "stud remover". We use a Proto Stud Remover. Otherwise do as previous readers have suggested.
If you admit defeat, ship us your old 4.108 and we will rebuild, re-man or repair it and ship it back. Our price for a total re-manufacture of a 4.108 is $5,995 LONG BLOCK + shipping and possible other costs, like grinding a damaged crankshaft, replacing tappets and camshaft, maybe even rebuilding the injector pump, oil pump, etc.

Okay, we are somewhat biased, but we believe the Perkins 4.108 is one of the best diesel engines ever built. Otherwise why would
Ma Perkins have built over a half million of them? Our re-mans go over 10,000 hours with proper maintenance.

Hope this helps. We are booked up until March 2015.

Tom at BSH Marine, Bayou Chico, FL
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 02:24   #10

Boat: Warrior 35
Send a message via MSN to yachtiebob Send a message via Skype™ to yachtiebob

I have access to a brand new, never run, full marine 4108, ready to drop in for £8000 sterling if anyone is interested.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yachtiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtiebob View Post
I have access to a brand new, never run, full marine 4108, ready to drop in for £8000 sterling if anyone is interested.
Bob

Where is the engine? Is it crated for shipping?
Can you arrange shipping?

Tom, Pensacola, FL USA
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 13:02   #12

Boat: Warrior 35
Send a message via MSN to yachtiebob Send a message via Skype™ to yachtiebob

Hi Tom,
The engine is grated and we are in the UK, but unfortunately a deposit had been paid this evening. It is due to be collected in two weeks. If the deal fails I will post a message on the site.
Many thanks in your interest.
Bob

yachtiebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhaul, perkins