Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 18:26   #16

Re: Perkins 4-108 Intermittent Raw Water Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You had a different problem. A Perkins has a gear driven pump.
I definitely have a 4.108 with a belt driven pump. 1989. I can take a pic, its only 10' away from me right now, but its dark down there, so I doubt you could see much even with flash.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 18:40   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I definitely have a 4.108 with a belt driven pump. 1989. I can take a pic, its only 10' away from me right now, but its dark down there, so I doubt you could see much even with flash.

Don't bother I believe you but WTF? Why sell an engine with a gear driven pump and a belt driven pump? What can you expect from a taxi cab engine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 18:47   #18

My water pump drives both cooling water and my seafreeze system. Idk. Its how I bought the boat.

Old 14-09-2015, 18:53   #19

And props to the taxicab with a 4.108, because I ran mine without cooling water for 200 miles and all I had to do was open up the engine room and slow down to 4 knots. Pretty good engine IMO.

Old 14-09-2015, 21:28   #20

A little more info on the problem I encountered than I first offered. My engine, a Westerbeke 40-108 is in fact, the same engine that was produced and labeled a Perkins 108 was built in 1980. I encountered the same problem after sailing, no water flow through the raw water system when I first started the the engine. After several restarts I was able to achieve water flow through to the exhaust outlet. Many of these instances meant I had to stave off the Seatow or Tow Boat US vultures offers ,eager to throw me a line, as I usually sailed up to the point where I needed to drop sails and motor into a channel to my mooring. This generally occurred while I was dropping a hook to keep me out of the shallows while I resolved the problem.
The quick fix was to open the flow circuit of the raw water, I had already played the face plate, gasket size, impeller change, game to no avail. Once i had water flowing freely from the heat exchanger outlet I moved on to the wet exhaust inlet. I knew this had to work because I had tested and changed out the vacuum breaker. This would get me flow through the exhaust and get me on my way. But, until I flushed and wire brush cleaned, (Rodded), out the oil cooler and heat exchanger tubes, the problem re-occurred every time I needed the engine. I also found bits and pieces of impeller and a Wooddruff key the PO had let slip into the cooling circuit.
The impeller change as well as the wear on the Sherwood pump cover, which on a 108 is direct drive, no belts or pullys come into play,and gasket size can contribute to poor flow. But no flow is a problem that should be traced to its root cause or it will continue to bite you in the ass when you least need it.
APKetcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, raw water, water