Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 12:02   #1

Boat: Lakes Cruiser 28ft
Perkins 4.108 Engine Trouble

Hi everyone, I need your help my perkins 4.108 just stopped in the middle of the lake in a choppy day and had to be rescued by the coast guard.

Here is the lead up to the failure.... Engine starts with no trouble but lately it still started but seemed to fire on one cylinder for a few seconds and then all others kick in.

On the day of the breakdown I was returning to the jetty and it was rather choppy the boat shook and tilted and bounced up and down. I had been travelling for nearly an hour then all of a sudden the engine started to slow then DEAD. 2 hours after the rescue and when safe and tied up to the home jetty it started with no trouble and started the next day and will run with not chocking or miss-beat. My theory is the water was in the tank and after shaking up the water mixed into the fuel or the old girl is loosing compression when running for a while - any thoughts and advice please - k
bombayfonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 20:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Perkins 4.108 Engine Trouble

Debris more likely, a clogged filter, or air in the lines. Firing on 1 cylinder, or less than 4 is usually air in the lines. A slowing engine is usually starving of fuel. In the tank, the pickup can slowly clog, but when the engine stops and the pump is no longer sucking fuel, the vacuum drops and releases the debris. Or the fuel filter is clogged. If you have a primary with a bowl you would see the water if any. There are cheaper filters with a bowl. Bigger boats use dual filters so a new one is ready to go.

If you add a vacuum gauge between the primary filter and the lift pump, you can see as your filter gradually clogs. Mine starts at zero and gradually climbs. With experience I can tell how soon I need to change filters.

If you don't want surprise fuel problems you should add a diesel stabilizer/biocide every fueling and use a Racor type primary filter. In 60 years on the water, I've never had a fuel problem. But fixed fuel problems for many others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Spin-On.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	182404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Racor-dual.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	182405  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 01:45   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Check your fuel tank vent.

Very likely either air leaking into the lines, or debris clogging the fuel pickup. Thinking big flake of rust, or similar. Water? Yeah, maybe. Do you have just a single tank? What sort of filter setup do you have? Nice to be able to see the fuel. As Lepke said, duplex filters are a VERY good idea, on any single engine boat where you rely heavily on the engine. Turn a couple of valves, and you are running on a fresh filter and can drain, change, or inspect the offline filter. A most highly recommended upgrade, that.
Old 18-12-2018, 01:51   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

What posters 2 and 3 already said. A very rough ride stirrs up all the sh*t on the bottom of the tank. It then clogs the wire mesh at the fuel pickup tube. Engine starves for lack of fuel. Then no more suction, all the debris is no longer held in place by the suction and falls off. Engine starts without s problem.
Tank cleaning is best solution, using biocide is next best.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
What posters 2 and 3 already said. A very rough ride stirrs up all the sh*t on the bottom of the tank. It then clogs the wire mesh at the fuel pickup tube. Engine starves for lack of fuel. Then no more suction, all the debris is no longer held in place by the suction and falls off. Engine starts without s problem.
Tank cleaning is best solution, using biocide is next best.
I had a similar experience in June - I got knocked around big time coming out of Beaufort inlet. I stupidly failed to check my fuel filter the next day, and the engine stopped about 15 miles from home. Luckily, I was able to sail into Masonboro Inlet and onto the ICW to get to an anchorage. The strange thing in your case is I did not hear you say you drained water from the Racor or changed the filter. Filters don't clear on their own.

Anyway, as a result of my experience, I installed dual Racors, and an electric pump to allow fuel polishing while underway.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:40   #6

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Its just a thought but I have heard of a diaphram going on the fuel pump of a Perkins 4107 /4108 and causing issues.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:44   #7

I had similar issues with my Perkins 4.154. Others are right: most likely debris in the tank. Mine had a strum box that had gone to pieces years earlier and filled the tank with FG shards. Cleaned out the tank and polished the fuel - no issues.
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:22   #8

Thank You Lepke, excellent advice - much appreciated k
Old 18-12-2018, 11:29   #9

Thank you all ever so much - the boat is moored in a remote part of SE Australia (Mallacoota) and very few people with inboard diesels leave alone a perkins. People down there are extremely helpful but little experience in these matters.

Great advise from all - thanks again - k

Enjoy your winter - our boating season is just starting.
Old 18-12-2018, 17:34   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Check your fuel filters 1st.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 19:55   #11

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
Its just a thought but I have heard of a diaphram going on the fuel pump of a Perkins 4107 /4108 and causing issues.
That can be however, you will notice the engine "making oil" as that progressively fails.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 05:17   #12

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Check That fuel pick up screen on the very end of your fuel pick up tube !
Clean that Tank . Remove the fuel , Rag and stick to make a large swab and scrape clean that tank bottom . I have a 4 108 and have been thu all this. . I replaced the fuel hose and added a electric fuel pump right before the manual fuel pump . !
New fuel add the the enzyme fuel additive .
For the electric fuel pump i got power from the key switch. Put new fuel filter in too .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:19   #13

Thanks Lepke and all the others - I will get one of those duel filters. The engine only runs one weekend every month for about 4 to 5 hours each time on the lake. More in the summer months. I did post on how to bleed the system on an earlier model 4.108 - I will be replacing the filter it is of the insert type - i'm told it is near impossible to bleed when you change the filter - any advice will be much appreciated - K
Old 04-02-2019, 01:58   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Get a 12v pump to install inline. It makes bleeding and filter changes easy. Install it between the primary filter and existing lift pump. This one is AU $35 on ebay.au and does 150l/h, so filling a filter will go quickly. You don't have to have a dual racor, just a good primary filter that separates out water. Primary is usually 30 micron and secondary (filter housing on the engine) is usually 10 micron. Use a good fuel conditioner.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universa...OuMz:rk:1:pf:0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	185172  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:49   #15

Thanks again Lepke - where would the power be connected to ?? the alternator or ignition ? - never heard of this gadget before - what if the engine cranks over but does not start will the engine get flooded?? - we learn every day - k

Tags
engine, perkins