Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 09:06   #46

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Perkins 4-108

Hello you guys,
I forgot to inform you in an earlier post that engine parts, including rebuild kits are available at very reasonable costs from www.Parts4engines.com if by bad liuck have to replace a crankshaft ALWAYS specify it for a turbo engine 4108T (they are specially hardened, cintrided) and last for ever.
Never take old stock shell bearings from any dealer as the new lead free ones are not only lead free but also last far longer as well.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:19   #47

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

Hi Irish Rambler,

From one Irish man to another have you had much problems with the Perkins 4.108, the I purchased last week is sitting on a Endurance 35 which hasn't been moved in 4 years,

Another question, have you been crusing around Italy near Roma I'm look to haul her out and do someone work on her decks rigging etc....she's currently in Civitavecchia north of Rome but the marina will not allow owners work on the boats.
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:41   #48

For all you Perkins users here are a couple of useful websites.
OE Equipment suppliers to Perkins with worldwide shipping.
www.parts4engines.com for various rebuild kits at very sensible prices.
For raw water cooling heat exchangers, exhaust elbows etc. www.ejbowman.co.uk
Long life raw water impellers www.safeseal.co;uk
Not to be too grumpy and pedantic about it but if there,s an oïl leak there,s a reason, find it and fix it, properly.
To help to quieten the engine buy a suitable size paper element complete air cleaner and mount it well away from the engine near a vent with a fresh flow of air (but in an easy place for servicing) and you,ll reduce you engine noise by 25%.
Old 26-12-2015, 10:18   #49

Hi Madrugada?
Congratulations on your new boat, we wish you fair winds and safe harbours.

I have the 4236 in mine but I,ve used many Perkins as pump and blower power packs at work.
Apart from checking fluid levels just crank it over in 25 second bursts, then rest the starter for 25 secs until she fires.
Take a note if she fires on all cylinders immediately if she misses a bit it could be the injectors needs refurbished. With a new(to you) engine I would get them done anyway and check the valve clearances and you,ll be grand for 9/10 years before they need checking again.

After it,s been running and all,s well give it a full service of with a really good quality engine oïl and then change diesel, fuel filters etc.

Sorry I can,t help you in Italy.
We used to haul prawns and mackerel from Castletownbeare and bring fruit and veg back home but the Italians all seemed to be on the make and trying to screw you on every turn so I quit.
Sorry I can,t help you more.
Old 27-12-2015, 09:19   #50

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Have probably overhauled, head to toe, 15 x 4-108's over the years and hundreds of other motors.
Check, before assuming that the motor is siezed, that the starter motor pinion insnt jammed on the ring gear. And Lucas s/motors are notorious for clicky solenoid contacts.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 15:08   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

I have a 4.236 in my Cal 46. I bought it new/unused in 1987 and installed it replacing a 4.236 with 13,000 hours which was still running good but consuming one quart of oil each 24 hours. After 4,000 hours and 28 years it is still running perfectly.

Back to the 4.108. Due to family and health issues we stopped cruising in 2007, settled by Bayou Chico and have kept busy rebuilding/repairing Atomic 4's and Perkins 4.108's. My young business partner, only 71, and I like to keep busy so we keep that way fixing 4.108's as Ma Perkins built over 500,000 of them and most are still running in all sorts of applications. The most popular was agriculture, i.e., tractors and such. Boats are a minor application.

Since many boaters have been successful in their vocations, they have expendable income and choose to go sailing, as we did. I have always enjoyed learning, so I attended vocational school after my three college degrees, such as marine diesel engines, outdrives, etc. We were able to sail away in 1988 comfortable financially, in a perfect cruising boat and able to help other cruisers along the way. Yes, we have a large engine room with work bench, tools, injection tester/calibrator etc. But, I must keep busy. I was/am amazed at the lack of knowledge in some "Cruisers" who plan or off the beaten path.

Anyway, we have been rebuilding 4.108's for over five years to our standard - If we would put it in our boat and sail across the ocean, we will sell it to you. However, you must follow break in and maintenance procedures exactly.

Perkins FOREVER!

Tom & Johnny
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 15:31   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

This sounds like the perkins fan club
I would consider myself a member.. I have a 1978 6354 that runs like a dream.. Has about a zillion hours on it. We motor cruise at 1300 rpm and manage to get 6-7kn We may have a small oil leak from the main crank but its far from serious and I carry a full engine rebuild kit for when it gets too smokey to go astern Have worked on plenty of 4-108s good unit as is its big brother..
Old 27-12-2015, 16:06   #53

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Oil leaks on ANY internal combustion engine can often be caused by crankcase compression. C/comp isnt caused by piston or rotational turbulence because on multiple cyl engines the tudb is offset/balanced
True crankcase compression comes from combustion pressures being force bast worn or broken rings.
IF... the c/case cant breathe because of sludcge build-up in the ventilation system, a seal which MAY BE PERFECT will often leak because of excess pressure.
FWIW.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 20:19   #54

For all the Perkins 4108 users out there, I am searching for that next boat to take me into retirement and like the Cabo Rico 38 a lot, many of the CR 38s have the Perkins 4108. Several post I have read state that the 4108 is not rated the same as new engines for HP, some comments were new engines use HP at prop where the 4108 was measured under no load, some felt that the 4108 actually delivered anywhere between 27 and 38 HP. Are there any Cabo Rico 38 owners out there using the Perkins 4108 that can comment if this engine is undersized for the displacement of the CR 38, about 23,000 lbs? Same question if in a strong current or motoring into a strong head wind? Appreciate any insight which will help me in my search...Thanks
Steevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53   #55
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevmac View Post
For all the Perkins 4108 users out there, I am searching for that next boat to take me into retirement and like the Cabo Rico 38 a lot, many of the CR 38s have the Perkins 4108. Several post I have read state that the 4108 is not rated the same as new engines for HP, some comments were new engines use HP at prop where the 4108 was measured under no load, some felt that the 4108 actually delivered anywhere between 27 and 38 HP. Are there any Cabo Rico 38 owners out there using the Perkins 4108 that can comment if this engine is undersized for the displacement of the CR 38, about 23,000 lbs? Same question if in a strong current or motoring into a strong head wind? Appreciate any insight which will help me in my search...Thanks
IMHO, the 4-108 is indeed over-rated at "50HP" or "42HP" and several other common claims. It's really a 30HP-class engine.

I've lived with one on my 42' 28,000lb sloop for the past 27 years. I love it. And, I find that while more power very occasionally would be nice, I don't feel underpowered most of the time.

Right now I'm sailing in Maine for the 4th summer; writing this from my boat in Rockland Harbor, ME. Interestingly, two weeks ago I was in Boothbay Harbor ME and talked with the former owner of Cabo Rico, Jack, who is the current owner/manager of the Carosel Marina & Restaurant located next to Browns Wharf. Very interesting guy.

So, don't sweat the Perkins 4-108. Solid, reliable diesel which has a few quirks but will outlive you if you treat it right.

HAPPY FOURTH!

Bill
s/v Born Free
Lying Rockland Harbor, ME
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:11   #56

The 4-108 is plenty adequate for that boat. My 44 footer had the 4-108 in it. It was perfect, even in the PNW currents etc. Pushed the boat at 8.5 knots regularly. The average fuel burn for the life of the boat was only .65 gallons per hour. Best cruising rpm was 2300.
You think the 4-108 is over rated? try Yanmar! Why are their engines "lightweight"? Because they rate them at 3600 rpm or more. Really a lower hp engine overrated.
Sold that boat 18 years ago. It was purchased by another new owner a couple years ago. He contacted me for info. Yep, still has the same Perkins in it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27   #57

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Cheechako;2158375] Pushed the boat at 8.5 knots regularly. The average fuel burn for the life of the boat was only .65 gallons per hour. Best cruising rpm was 2300.

Just about any engine uses fuel at about 1/2lb per hr hp. You were using about 4.9 lbs per hour. So about 10 hp had you going 8.5 knots?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35   #58

[QUOTE=Guy;2158385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Pushed the boat at 8.5 knots regularly. The average fuel burn for the life of the boat was only .65 gallons per hour. Best cruising rpm was 2300.

Just about any engine uses fuel at about 1/2lb per hr hp. You were using about 4.9 lbs per hour. So about 10 hp had you going 8.5 knots?
I don't know about the theory, but yes, flat water, 39+ ft waterline we regularly did 8-8.5. I kept a fuel log on the boat for the entire period of ownership. A lot of our time was motoring here in the PNW as summers seem to lack wind. But heck, my 80hp Nanni Mercedes only burned 1 gal per hour +/- in our heavy 47 footer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Perkins 4-108 Specifications

The Perkins manual states:

High Speed Pleasure Craft rating 47 SHP @ 4,000 RPM's
Pleasure craft rating 45 SHP @ 3,600 RPM's
Commercial Rating 37 SHP @ 3,000 RPM's

Like any diesel power curve is determined by displacement of engine, amount of fuel and timing. Note the above, HP is determined by RPM's and the amount of fuel. The most common fuel injector is the CAV, which delivers at 1,984 to 2205 PSI.

AS mentioned by several of you cruisers, there are many variances, such as fouled bottoms, size and pitch of prop, excessive wear of the engine, rings, valves and seats, timing, etc.

One issue we see often is mismatched props for the size, weight, waterline length of the boat, gear reduction. A customer complained he could not get enough RPM's from his 4.108. We determine his prop was much too big for his boat. With too high a prop size and pitch, it is like driving a diesel powered truck up hill in high gear.

I heartily agree with the post about the "Screaming Yanmars". They will wear out more quickly, simple more RPM's to get power. I have an older, 33 years in Satori, Yanmar powered genset that has 6,600 hours on it. It is the commercial version designed for 1,800 RPM's.

Keep the dry side up,
Tom Vandiver, Cal 46, Hull #3, Bayou Chico, FL
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote