Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 14:34   #31

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments
Re: Perkins 4-108

[QUOTE=andyft;1423762]why didn't you just use a 7/16 socket? thanks, andy[/QUOTE

You could but I didnt have a set of allen sockets. I therefore cut a piece of the allen wrench that I had and used it in the regular socket. I have been thinking and on "third" thought I think that sucker might be 5/16". Someone else should chime in here on this becuse those pumps are constantly removed on this forum.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 19:09   #32

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i love my 108....it ran great, as long as the oil was able to leak out a little... we got it to no longer leak, motorsailed from zihuatenejo to barra de navidad, a mere 200 miles up hill, and anchored,,, when we went to pull anchor, suffered runaway diesel less than 5 min... which was apparently too long,and now have seized engine we are going to rebuild...
you folks who also sought assistance here and found the unmentionable one, i was able to converse somewhat with that individual, and on basis of that conversation alone, i would never use him either to seek an outside source nor to even borrow a wrench from. wow. he has absolutely no use for 108s called them extinct and said it is 10,000 usd to rebuild one.. omg .. what a jerk. sorry. but it is truth... i am relieved to know i did not choose him.
i know there are many places here to machine parts, and there is even a specific perkins shop...despite the j word saying closest is guadalajara... so unimaginative.
we WILL resurrect my multicolored marvel and proceed onwards.....properly.
kinda. and for a tiny fraction of the j words estimate....rodlmffao.
I guess the engine ran out of lubrication. I found this a good description of what happens with a run away engine: Diesel engine runaway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You may want a way to prevent this from happening in the future, see above article. From the foregoing it does look like a complete rebuild is needed as you probably ran out of lubrication. Also check connecting rods for deformation. Have you found a machine shop that knows how to work on these engines? If they have large diesel engines in the shop or even the heavy hoisting equipment to deal with these, then that is a good sign. Since rebuilding large diesels is expensive for parts, if work is not done correctly, a shop will not stay in business long. The clearances between bearing and journals surfaces (what the bearing rides on) are less than two thousandths of an inch, about three times less than the thickness of inkjet paper. This means clean room conditions, no dirt with particles bigger than that, all oil galley passages cleaned out as well as crankshaft oil passages after a good soaking in a hot caustic tank. That takes all the paint off and all metal parts bone dry of any oil. This is old technology for cleaning. Maybe this is what they use in Mexico. In the USA, large industrial dishwasher type equipment is used because of pollution issues. I have had rebuilds go bad from dirt. I finally wised up and cleaned out all oil passages even though I was told the engine was cleaned up. You may want someone to double check the crankshaft journals for correct size since a regrind will be needed with oil starvation. Correct cylinder bore sizes and piston skirt sizes should be alright since this engine uses cylinder liners with new pistons. These should be replaced because of oil starvation and possible problems with pistons from the forces of excessive engine speed.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:09   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I guess the engine ran out of lubrication. I found this a good description of what happens with a run away engine: Diesel engine runaway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You may want a way to prevent this from happening in the future, see above article. From the foregoing it does look like a complete rebuild is needed as you probably ran out of lubrication. Also check connecting rods for deformation. Have you found a machine shop that knows how to work on these engines? If they have large diesel engines in the shop or even the heavy hoisting equipment to deal with these, then that is a good sign. Since rebuilding large diesels is expensive for parts, if work is not done correctly, a shop will not stay in business long. The clearances between bearing and journals surfaces (what the bearing rides on) are less than two thousandths of an inch, about three times less than the thickness of inkjet paper. This means clean room conditions, no dirt with particles bigger than that, all oil galley passages cleaned out as well as crankshaft oil passages after a good soaking in a hot caustic tank. That takes all the paint off and all metal parts bone dry of any oil. This is old technology for cleaning. Maybe this is what they use in Mexico. In the USA, large industrial dishwasher type equipment is used because of pollution issues. I have had rebuilds go bad from dirt. I finally wised up and cleaned out all oil passages even though I was told the engine was cleaned up. You may want someone to double check the crankshaft journals for correct size since a regrind will be needed with oil starvation. Correct cylinder bore sizes and piston skirt sizes should be alright since this engine uses cylinder liners with new pistons. These should be replaced because of oil starvation and possible problems with pistons from the forces of excessive engine speed.

just because i am female does not mean i donot know what is wrong with my engine and why exactly it ranaway. i tried to share my knowledge with you but you do not read the words i wrote.
ASSuming that my engine was feeding from dry cylinders is a very BAD MISTAKE do not consider that.is not an option. i have yet to hear of dry cylinders causing runaway diesel.
RUNAWAY DIESEL is caused by whether blowby from cylinders or from fail in injector pump. i bet your fancy book didnt mention the injector pump, or you FAILED to absorb that info.
the injector pump controls the fuel delivery and has a governor to keep rpms down. that fails, and you have runaway.
as you did not read the pàrt about my injector pump having been from a sunken boat and not rebuilt before my acquisition thereof, it follows that it will FAIL. DUHH., IT DID.

wikipedia is merely a bunch of stuff put together without veracity, as anyone is able to modify and add whatever without references. i do not use it.

i use reality and facts and what actually happens as my basis for knowledge. i lived thru this, not wiki.

i also stated exactly what we are doing about this problem. did you read that or pass it by.....

the way to prevent the runaway i experienced is to make sure your injector pump is in good condition before you add 3000 miles to it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 01:36   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Zee,

I'd like to add at this juncture, that in out experience the people in Mexico were extremely sympatico with the concept of fixing things. I would not let chat of tolerances of .002 scare me off the help of a trusted Mexican mechanic. Not only are they used to fixing things, they think it's morally right to fix stuff. How great is that?! :-) They'll get you going again, never fear.

Ann
Old 28-12-2013, 05:46   #35

ann...that is exactly what we are counting on...the accountability of these people is admirable and they can make almost anything go.

the unmentionable soul is a gringo. he looks down on perkins, and i didn t like the bs he spewed, but the local talent here rocks....
Old 28-12-2013, 11:18   #36

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Mine is a 7/32. Lowes sells single ball end Allen's which allow you to angle down and under the exhaust ports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388258322.261328.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	72834
Old 07-01-2014, 18:23   #37

we took head off today...hardly any wear. no lip. liners clear except two cylinders have rust. they are the aftmost cylinders.
sprayed pb blaster
.we wait.
Old 09-01-2014, 13:23   #38

machine shop next week .. yaaaaay!!
Old 20-02-2014, 16:34   #39
Marine Service Provider

Decided to offer my two cents to this thread. I've owned the Westerbeke equivalent to the 4108 -- the Westerbeke W60, based on the BMC 2.5L block. Awesome engine, NO leaks, and there are plenty of parts available IF you know where to look. Give them clean fuel and keep them cool and they run forever. I had one in my 42' Pearson and a spare in my garage - never needed the spare. I sold the boat, the spare is currently for sale here.
The trick is to avoid Westerbeke and source parts directly from the U.K. (the internet is your friend). Lot's of NOS parts. After owning several MG's, it's hard to believe that BMC got this one right. Amazing engine. Cheers!
hanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kidson View Post
Three years ago I bought a second hand 4-108 for my boat as part of her re-fit. It had been removed from a boat being re-powered with a Yanmar, and the mechanic was selling it on behalf of the owner.

On inspection at his shop, engine started first time with minimal turning over, and that was from cold.

After installing I would turn it over by hand every few weeks to keep oil circulating and prevent seizing.

Just after Christmas, and now much closer to being in the water, I had bought a 12v battery booster and thought it would be much easier to connect this for the routine turning over.

Imagine my surprise when after about 15 seconds of turning over it came to life; obviously there was still fuel in the filter, and although all new fuel lines have been connected, there is no fuel in tanks. It blew no great clouds of smoke - exhaust has yet to be fitted, and for the short time I let it run sounded sweet.

I calmly reached for the fuel shut off solenoid and manually shut down fuel supply, but was so impressed with the obvious reliability of this motor. I have read much about them in discussions here and am pleased with my descision and choice of motor. They must be almost bullet proof!

I am now madly working on connecting remainder of cooling system and exhaust so I can run it again - just for fun .

I know that when it gets into the water it will run without a problem.

Fair winds

Steve
yep, no bleeding or air issues with that perkins. No glow plugs in cold weather. they just run and run... and as you said, hard to not start them! Mine was in a fiarly heavy 44 ft cutter. (39 waterline) my average fuel burn for the life of the boat was .65 gal per hour. Sh'd do 8- 8.5 knots on the water too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a 1972 4108 generator engine. Parts are all over. If you search for 4108 the is a company that makes a different rear main seal that they claim won't leak. You might check yours. Now would be a good time to change it before you get more stuff in the way. Also, if you have room, have a drip pan made to keep oil out of the bilge.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:15   #42

I think I was lucky, my 1985 never leaked at all. I've heard of it though. Maybe perkins solved that problem later?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 22:11   #43

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I run a Perkins 4236 o n my cruiser and along with the 4108 and the 6354 they're probably the benchmark of industrial diesels. I hope I'm not being too pedantic but if you have an oil leak there's a technical reason for it and rather than buying diapers, fix the leak. If you see a slight weep on your daily check then fix it before it becomes a problem.
I use Hylomar jointing compound, it was designed by Rolls-Royce for their diesels, Perkins bought over Rolls diesels and all their patents. Perkins are now owned by Caterpillar.
I have to declare that I'm biased as I was trained at Rolls-Royce diesels in Shrewsbury.
The 4108 engines were also fitted to Massey Ferguson tractors(amongst others) and you can get spares from an agricultural agent cheaper than a marine one.
The London taxi's used the Perkins Perama engine, it sounded like it was a bags of bolts vibrating in unison but it was virtually bomb proof.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 08:40   #44

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

Hi guys,

From reading your correspondence I don't think I'll have problems with my 4-108' I've just recently purchased an endurance 35 with a Perkins installed good to hear that oil leaks are the only problems,

The engine has been sitting idle for 4 years any advice on recomminshing her before I go for a start up ?

Thanks
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:03   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrugada View Post
Hi guys,

From reading your correspondence I don't think I'll have problems with my 4-108' I've just recently purchased an endurance 35 with a Perkins installed good to hear that oil leaks are the only problems,

The engine has been sitting idle for 4 years any advice on recomminshing her before I go for a start up ?

Thanks
You'll have better luck searching threads for answers, or starting your own threads instead of posting a question on the end of an old thread...

There's a recent very good thread on this... I'll find it for you...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote