Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2010, 14:03   #1

Perkins 4-107/8 Fresh Water Pump

So, last week I am on my way to Catalina. About 1 mile from Two Harbors I notice smoke coming from down below. I yell to my wife to take the wheel and I dive head first into the galley. Smoke is pouring out from underneathe the sink. I'm suspecting a broken exhaust hose. I open the cabinet and it is full of steam, not smoke. Good thing. I can't see the source, then realize that this is not the raw water, but the coolant boiling off. I check the temp gauge and it is pegged over to the right past 220. Ok, I shut the engine down and get on the radio to the harbor master. He says if I can sail closer to the mooring field he'll give me a courtisey tow to a mooring. Done.

While on the mooring I suspect I have blown the head gasket or warpped the head from the overheating. I call my mechanic at S&W Diesle to discuss my options. He suspects that maybe I picked up a plastic bag and choked off the raw water. He also suggests that I refill it with coolant and start it up. If it is the head, I'm not going to do anymore damage with a short run. So I top off the coolant, turn the key and she starts right up with no problems. Temp is riding good at 170, I'm thinking problem solved. I go down below to look at the engine and I notice that the belt is flinging thin, green oily crap everywhere. What the Hell. I cut the engine and have a look. The Fresh Water Circulation Pump Gasket has given away and is leaking like a stuck pig. Now I know where the problem is.

Next problem, Taking off the pump is easy, loosen the belt, remove 4 bolts and I'm done. My mechanic tells me that he has 2 new pumps on the shelf --BUT-- the pully has to be pressed off and on. DAMN!

Here's the kicker, I had just renewed my Vessle Assist card the day before. It took affect at mid-night the previous night. I'm now on the cell phone arrangeing a tow for tomarrow morning. Vessle Assist shows up at 9am the next day and 4 hours later I am back in my slip at $0.00. That is the best damn insurance I have ever bought.

Now here is my question, I have never removed this pump before. It looks pretty straight forward, just 4 bolts. Is there anything I need to watch for? I'm going to replace the thermostat and a new intercooler at the same time.

Thanks for reading and your answers.
Old 13-04-2010, 14:33   #2

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Water Pump removale

Very straight forward replacement. I carry both raw water and freshwater pumps for my 4-107.

The raw water pump I got for a great price on ebay and rebuilt it as a spare.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 16:17   #3

Boat: Irwin sloop
It's a simple and straight forward job but there is a big problem if the gasket is blocking the ports, if it is turn it over so the coolant can flow through the pump. It's an easy mistake with dissasterous results, can't remember why I know this.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 07:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
It's a simple and straight forward job but there is a big problem if the gasket is blocking the ports, if it is turn it over so the coolant can flow through the pump. It's an easy mistake with dissasterous results, can't remember why I know this.
Jesse - I'm looking at the shop manual and the pump in asymetrical in shape. Is it possible to put it on wrong for a 4-107/8? But I will heed your your advice and thank you for it.

I'll also make sure all my ports are clear.
Old 14-04-2010, 08:34   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I have a Perkins 4-108 and over the last few months had a heating problem, replaced the head and gaskit had the heat exchanger cleaned oil cooler cleaned still the same thing (over heating) but what gets me about your post you state your running temp is 170 degree on mine it is 110. As for the gaskit on the freshwater pump I did not really see how it could be put on wrong but there is 3 gaskits that go on there.

Perkins in Jacksonville Fl sell new pumps for $117 but like you said the pully has to be put on but that is very easy.

Best of luck

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 09:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
I have a Perkins 4-108 and over the last few months had a heating problem, replaced the head and gaskit had the heat exchanger cleaned oil cooler cleaned still the same thing (over heating) but what gets me about your post you state your running temp is 170 degree on mine it is 110. As for the gaskit on the freshwater pump I did not really see how it could be put on wrong but there is 3 gaskits that go on there.

Perkins in Jacksonville Fl sell new pumps for $117 but like you said the pully has to be put on but that is very easy.

Best of luck

Dutch
Dutch - 110??? That seems awfully low. What is your thermostat rated at? I use to have an over heating problem. Take a look at your head, near the top by the tank should be a water temp sensor or a bolt, mine is a sensor for the alarm. Take this out when you fill up with coolant, it will vent the manifold. If no coolant comes out, add some directly here. Mine was air locking at this point causeing a coolant flow blockage and intermettent overheating. Drove me crazy for about a year.

If your gauge is still reading 110 I would test/replace the sensor, then the gauge, then the thermostat. With the closed freshwater cooling system and raw water intercooler your water temp should about 185 before the thermostat opens, then settle to about 170 after it opens. Any variation of about 5-10 degrees from these should be fine.

110! Damn! I would patent the Cold Fusion technology you have discovered. Even if it is directly raw water cooled, I belive the lowest it would get is 140.

Good Luck.