Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 03:01   #1

Boat: Irwin CC ketch, 38
Send a message via AIM to Blacktim
Perkins 4-104 advice

I have an Irwin 36 CC ketch with a Perkins 4-104 engine. It started and worked fine last November. Winter in water storage. Ran an electric quartz heater all winter so the interior was always well above freezing. Fuel tank close to full, with two cans of stabilizer added.
I turned on the ignition, starter motor turned it over several times, engine didn't fire. The problem is I immediately heard the sound of leaking fluid. Turned the ignition off, went below and opened the raw water intake and discharge valves. Tried the ignition again. The leak turned into an active spray.
Fluid is raw water and coolant.
The leak is coming from the front lower left of the engine, but I can't visualize the actual site due to the engine installation and access issues.
Gave up on the ignition switch, still had water spraying out. I closed the raw water intake valve on the through hull pipe and it stopped the leak.
Any thoughts on what the likely problem is would be appreciated.
Boat is in Old Saybrook, CT and I need to get it moved to summer dockage in New London. I'd love to hear from any local marine diesel mechanic.
Blacktim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:44   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Re: Perkins 4-104 advice

I think that the engine is likely a Perkins 4-108 or a 4-107, depending on the year of the boat build, if the engine is original to the boat.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:32   #3

sounds like the water supply line from the strainer to the raw water pump failed.
the other place might be the raw water pump seal.

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:14   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Ive found a helpful way to "see" is to use the "selfie" mode on my Samsung galaxy phone. I turn on th flash and either record a video or snap a pic.

Takes a bit of practice to get it right but allows you to look where you cant fit your head. Ive even left phone recording while i start engine or something and come back to check after i complete mission.

No help on the water situation other than it sounds like a hose crack or something has broken from seacock to RW pump. Could have froze over winter. Inspect carefully and replace, gushing seawater isnt good.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 14:43   #5

gentlemen:
I appreciate the responses. As to the first, he's probably right as to the Perkins model number. The boat is a 76 model and I have no way to know whether it is the original engine.

As to other issues, I can't visualize the exact source of the leak because it is coming from the bottom front left of the engine and the motor mount is right in the way. I may be able to see it if I pull the alternator out and look down.
The through-hull appears to be metal, connected on the inside to a metal pipe. The intake line is also pipe (looks like galvanized iron) and the valve is about 6 inches inside the hull. Closing the intake valve stopped the leak

Issues are: 1) can this be repaired without hauling the boat and pulling the engine (very expensive) 2) Can I remove the pipe from the through hull and replace it with hose. 3) if it is the
seal from the intake pipe to the engine, how do I disconnect it and replace it?

Advice would be appreciated. A Southern CT diesel mechanic would be better. As we all know, owning boats isn't cheap (though CT Yankees are), and I'm more than happy to fairly compensate anyone who can get on site, inspect, report and hopefully fix.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2019, 14:58   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

If you have a sherwood raw water pump the raw water intake will most likely come in from the left (facing timing cover) of the engine, if a jabsco (usually installed with the bowman heat exchanges) your raw water pipes will usually be on right side. There is also a 90 degree hose from the oil/trans cooler (left side mount) that returns to the block right under the alternator. Best to trace the raw water from the thru hull to the heat exchanger and rule out raw water, then move to the fresh water circuit. Pictures are worth a thousand words or so they say.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 15:01   #7
rbk

This should be an easy fix and a DIY project, maybe a busted hose or hose clamps. From your new post it may be your solid lines to and from your heat exchanger but again pictures or video would clear a lot of the questions up.
Old 03-05-2019, 15:08   #8

OK, thanks. Boat came with manuals (some from thirty years ago) and I'll check. I'm also going to pull the alternator (clearly not original, as it's a 16 amp), open the raw water intake valve and see if I can visualize the leak. If so I'll take a couple of pictures (though I'm unsure how to upload pictures from my iPhone 4 to the computer so I can attach them.). I'm too old to be conversant about about that. I will call my kids for answers to that. As to the makes and models of the other parts, I don't know and won't know unless they have manufacturers' labels on them
Old 03-05-2019, 15:12   #9

And, RBK, it has to be raw water, not fresh, as closing the raw water intake valve stopped the leak.
Old 03-05-2019, 15:12   #10
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktim View Post
OK, thanks. Boat came with manuals (some from thirty years ago) and I'll check. I'm also going to pull the alternator (clearly not original, as it's a 16 amp), open the raw water intake valve and see if I can visualize the leak. If so I'll take a couple of pictures (though I'm unsure how to upload pictures from my iPhone 4 to the computer so I can attach them.). I'm too old to be conversant about about that. I will call my kids for answers to that. As to the makes and models of the other parts, I don't know and won't know unless they have manufacturers' labels on them
take a video and see if your kids can upload it to YouTube and then post a link. First you have to determine which 4108/107 you have and then go from there. Does it have a header tank on the front with Perkins on it where you fill/check the coolant? or is it on the exhaust side running lengthwise with the engine?
Old 03-05-2019, 15:18   #11
rbk

Quote:
And, RBK, it has to be raw water, not fresh, as closing the raw water intake valve stopped the leak...Fluid is raw water and coolant...
If this is the case you may have cracked your heat exchanger.
Old 03-05-2019, 15:30   #12

rbk: thanks. I'll work on pictures this evening. Haven't eaten yet today and need to.
I have to move stuff, pull the stairs, pull the engine cover, adapt lighting, find the right wrench, pull the alternator, see if I can see the connection from the raw water intake to the engine, open the intake valve, then try to video the leak.

Then I need to deal with my ignorance involving Iphones, video, transferring from phone to computer, attaching it to something like a site, and pressing the magic button. This won't be easy or fast. Check back later or in the morning (I have no clue where Whitehorse, YT is, though I'm pretty sure the are no US states with that abbreviation), as I don't know what time zone you are in. It's early evening here
Old 03-05-2019, 15:35   #13
rbk

Quote:
rbk: thanks. I'll work on pictures this evening. Haven't eaten yet today and need to.
I have to move stuff, pull the stairs, pull the engine cover, adapt lighting, find the right wrench, pull the alternator, see if I can see the connection from the raw water intake to the engine, open the intake valve, then try to video the leak.

Then I need to deal with my ignorance involving Iphones, video, transferring from phone to computer, attaching it to something like a site, and pressing the magic button. This won't be easy or fast. Check back later or in the morning (I have no clue where Whitehorse, YT is, though I'm pretty sure the are no US states with that abbreviation), as I don't know what time zone you are in. It's early evening here
Your raw water intake will connect to the raw water pump on the front of the engine upper right side of the timing cover. If you don't have the bowman heat exchanger, your heat exchanger will most likely be at the back of the engine below the timing cover.
Old 03-05-2019, 15:45   #14

I'll try to figure this out this evening and continue tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice and notice the Tayana you
Old 03-05-2019, 15:52   #15
rbk

I may or may not be online this weekend, weather depending. Good luck

If you find its the heat exchanger you can get relativity cheap aftermarket drop in replacements; most likely a blown hose though as it sounds like you have steady pressure with the seacock open, unusual past the impeller. Usually there are no raw water lines under the alternator, if anything the raw water intake line runs near or down and under the alternator/engine and it is possible that your belt wore a hole in it.

Tags
perkins