Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 22:52   #46
Kai Nui

Thomas, if you can put it on a stick, or disk, when you come up for Sail Expo we can send it from my computer.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:29   #47

MR. Sullivan,
I have the 4-108 manual. I'll get my wife to make a PDF of it and send it to you.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:01   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
MR. Sullivan,
I have the 4-108 manual. I'll get my wife to make a PDF of it and send it to you.
Pat,

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

If there is anything you need in return, please don't hesitate to ask. I have been searching for this manual for quite some time and didn't find it.

Should I contact you directly?

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Perkins Manuals (4.108, 4.107, & 4.99) online at:
http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perk...shopManual.pdf
(114 page pdf)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58   #50

Gord,
You are so on top of everything nautical. That is the manual I have.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:58   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973
Perkins OEM

I'm sure there are others, but the only recent model pleasure boat I've seen come new with Perkins is a De Fever. I've seen them in a number of older Irwin's, and Mason (P.A.E.). I think they're an excellent, near bullet-proof engine. I had one in my charge on a comm'l boat, a 150 Hp 6.3544T - for a Bow Thruster. It worked like a dog & never complained. Day after day, actually driving the boat, following an ROV on pipeline inspections, etc. I have heard of problems with the mani-cooler (manifold/heat-exchanger/tank combo unit) developing internal cracks on turbo'd units. They can often be repaired at a cost of about $3500, replacement part is about $7500. That's pretty much the only big bite I've heard of, otherwise reliability is up there with the Lehman (forget turbo's on those, though). Parts & service availability worldwide is great, and parts are lower priced than most. Like Volvo's, they use water-jacketed turbos, and can be run at 90% power for extended periods. They're a simple design and relatively easy to work on - when they do need work.

A complaint I've heard from commercial boat owners about their Yanmar's is that they use a timing belt which needs replacement about every 2000 hours. Definitely an indication that those engines are not designed for commercial or severe service.

I don't know about the current business end, but always liked CAT for parts availability (like the engines, too). Pricing might be up because of it, but I don't think the supply chain will be degraded.

Perkins would be one of my first choices for my own boat.

NEA
EngNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 16:49   #52

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Perkins Manual

I printed out the PDF for the Perkins manual and showed to my wife and the first thing she noticed was that on page 4, Safety precautions, the first sentence says "Do not use these engines in marine applications". What does that mean?

Ron
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 17:36   #53
Kai Nui

From a trucking standpoint, I have always liked Cats, but the parts are all gold plated. At least, that is what the price tag indicates. Another common issue with Cats is air flow. I am familiar with several Cat repowers locally in the past few years. One in particular was on a big party boat. The engine kept starving for air, and they could not get it over 85%. I know they added some BIG louvered vents to the engine room from the hull. Not sure they ever got to 100%. I will say, the Cat rep spent 2 months out here almost every day working on it. Not sure many Perkins dealers would provide that sort of service.
Interesting about the Yanmar timing belt. I had not heard that before. I am looking through the operation manual on the 3YM30 I just got. It does not list anything beyond 1000 hours. Never Monday, please advise?
Old 06-04-2006, 17:52   #54

Scott,
I believe he is refering to the 260 and 315hp LY series. The do yuse a belt to drive the cam from the injection pump. The pump is gear driven. I'm not aware of a timing belt on any sub 150hp marine diesel now on the market
An aside, the Perkins M50 thru M85 are timing belt motors also.
Old 06-04-2006, 17:54   #55
Kai Nui

Thanks Pat. VERY glad to hear that.
Old 06-04-2006, 18:49   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Perkins Manuals (4.108, 4.107, & 4.99) online at:
http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Perk...shopManual.pdf
(114 page pdf)
Gord... for a really good sailing guy, you sure know your way around the internet. WOW! Me and a lot of other people will thank you for this one.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 20:21   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I just thought I would mention that Cat doesn't make a small marine engine anymore, and the smallest Perkins Sabre engine is the M92b (86 hp) and wieghs 933 lbs. (engine only).
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:44   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ron:
The Perkins cautionary statement ”..."Do not use these engines in marine applications...” probably indicates that that version of the manual came from a farm tractor engine. There may be some minor differences between the marinised Perkins (Perkins-Sabre) engine and the farm model, but I don’t think they’ll be significant to anything you’ll attempt as a DIYer.
Perhaps Pat would comment (his field of expertise).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:18   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Fran
I printed out the PDF for the Perkins manual and showed to my wife and the first thing she noticed was that on page 4, Safety precautions, the first sentence says "Do not use these engines in marine applications". What does that mean?

Ron
That may be because that manual does not include the marine supplement, for which the part # is SER1088E. Any Perkins dealer can get you that, but you may also be able to find it on the internet. Good luck.
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05   #60

Hola:

Tengo un catamaran lagoon 37 con dos motores perkins 29Hp serie BK. Uno de ellos esta dañado, donde podria comprar un nuevo motor o bien usado compatible con el barco.

Muchas gracias.

adolfolorenzana@gmail.com
Saludos
adolfo lorenzana is offline   Reply With Quote