Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22   #1

Boat: WD Schock Santana 30 (1975)
Penta diesel - Bosch injector adapter for compression test?

Happy Easter folks!

I'm trying to find the correct diesel compression test adapter for my engine.

I've got a Volvo Penta MD6A diesel with Bosch fuel injectors that have a 17mm body diameter (and no glow-plugs). Each of the two injectors is held in via a notched 'bar-type(?)' hold-down clamps, with two nuts each. The injector body slides into a notch in the bar, then you push that assembly into the head and secure with the nuts.

I have a Star TU-15 diesel compression tester but don't know what model adapter to purchase. Star has photos of adapter TU-11A that looks correct (comes with hold down bar) but doesn't give the adapter diameters. Their application guide meanwhile calls for TU-18A adapter but that adapter photo shows no bar (I can use mine) AND doesn't show a groove that my bar would slide into to hold the adapter into the engine.

I've looked at Harbor Freight, called Motormite and studied photos of Star and Bacharach products. Does anyone know the adapter model number for my engine from any brand?

Thanks in advance,

-Keith

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sur la Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49   #2

Re: Penta diesel - Bosch injector adapter for compression test?

Try Trans Atlantic Diesel! They do a lot with Perkins, which may be what your block is.?
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 17:45   #3

Re: Penta diesel - Bosch injector adapter for compression test?

The Volvo Penta MD6A engine started life as an Albin Engine design, not Perkins and was subsequently purchased by VP and developed into the 6A, 7A and 7B models.

The compression tester that was the standard for years with VP ( and still is) was the "MotoMeter" which used an inserted card that recorded the compression and could measure at least 6 cylinders per card. All their engines had compression adapters which were compatible with this tester.

The compression tester nipple for the 6a and 7a was part number 884535. This nipple is inserted into the injector copper sleeve and is clamped down by yoke number 884543. Standard injector hold down bars will not work with this nipple.

Hope this helps.
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, diesel, penta