Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 05:33   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Penetrating oil for old bolts/studs on exhaust manifold

Dang. Found Kano Kroil the creeping oil on Amazon. But they can't ship it to me. Hazardous material. Surface shipping ( truck) only.

So, for ferrous stuff, ATF and acetone I can get easily. Sometimes, simple is the only answer.

edit:
Just found a thread on a Practical Machinist forum about removing a stuck aluminum bike seat post from a steel frame. Several of those guys say that lye ( sodium hydroxide) attacks the aluminum without hurting steel. That's easy enough. Active ingredient in oven cleaners and toilet cleaners. I'll try that on the stainless screw embedded in the block of aluminum like what's-his-name's sword stuck in the stone.
Old 14-12-2015, 05:38   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Dang. Found Kano Kroil the creeping oil on Amazon. But they can't ship it to me. Hazardous material. Surface shipping ( truck) only.

So, for ferrous stuff, ATF and acetone I can get easily. Sometimes, simple is the only answer.
Don't think for even one second that we feel sorry for you.... For not having an overland route in T&C...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 05:45   #48
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Don't think for even one second that we feel sorry for you.... For not having an overland route in T&C...

I know, I know. It all looks like one big Corona commercial......from afar.
We laze in our hammocks under gently swaying palm trees sipping funny colored drinks with funny names and paper umbrellas brought by dark eyed native girls, and hire droves of motivated locals with tools, experience and craftsmanship to rebuild things quickly at sixty cents a day.....

Guess we better take the boat up through the Bahamas and back to pick up a can of oil...
Old 14-12-2015, 06:30   #49

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I was able to buy Kroil on a special 2 for one sale that will last forever. It works very well on steel, but still not able to free up SS on AL, I had to use heat and a lot of prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The absolute best stuff I ever used for badly rusted ferrous nuts and bolts is Kearney Rust Cutter. It is made for people working on power transmission lines and until recently it wasn't available to the general public. Now Amazon has it....
I was not able to find this product on Amazon... I am wondering how well it works on AL and SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
...It penetrates but also dissolves some or all of the rust. After breaking loose, the nut comes off with fingers....
BTW - This is dangerous to use if you have to loose your fingers. I'd rather drill out the bolt, re thread and keep the body parts...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:11   #50

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

On recommendation of an old waterman I used a toilet bowl cleaner for cleaning up my bronze strainers and large pipe fittings. Worked like a champ and is cheap enough that even I didn't whine about the cost. When I tried it on some alum. it was VERY aggressive and the fumes were bad. I got a small whiff and noticeably damaged my nose and sinuses.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:41   #51

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul;
Several of those guys say that lye ( sodium hydroxide) attacks the aluminum without hurting steel. That's easy enough. Active ingredient in oven cleaners and toilet cleaners. I'll try that on the stainless screw embedded in the block of aluminum like what's-his-name's sword stuck in the stone.

Only asking because I'm a newbie with a lot of mast work coming up, but wouldn't you rather have a substance that attacks the steel and not the aluminum? The bolt is shot, but you want to use the mast again! Or is the amount small enough not to matter? When I was working on my torque tube, the haarken people advised being very careful with heat, as aluminum would melt before the steel bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:09   #52
One of Those

My particular issue is not with a mast, which has relatively thin aluminum and a different set of problems.

Mine is with stainless screws that go through an aluminum toe rail and then through a solid block of aluminum. It's fairly thick, and the aluminum oxide has a death grip on it, even though the aluminum is not threaded. I've tried everything I can think of, including commercial preps and propane torch. I can't turn the bolt or drive it out without deforming it and complicating the problem. Aluminum oxide is harder than iron oxide. It's gemstone hard at the crystal level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0818.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	115009  
Old 14-12-2015, 10:01   #53

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Ahhh, that looks very much like my torque tube-a solid block of cylindrical aluminum. I was surprised at how quickly the aluminum dissipated heat, but still couldn't get the SS bolt out.
I, too, am still looking for a solution for this problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:06   #54
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Canibul-
PBlaster is sold in retail stores, at least in the US, while Kroil is only direct marketed. If you have an airfield somewhere around, you may find some aviation mechanics and they should have one of those products, or possibly even the Mouse Milk. And I'm sure they'd be willing to sell some off. Aviation mechanics tend to have and use the good stuff.(G)

"OK nobody laugh, this is the real deal, tabasco sauce. " Uh, yeah, that would be hot peppers fermented in...VINEGAR. I suspect using plain vinegar of equal strength would be safer on the eyes.(G)

I'm also a fan of using cold. Either a slurry of dry ice and alcohol (helps the cold to contact everything) or a good dose of a CO2 extinguisher to ice things up. Can't de-temper metals the way that heat does. Minor safety differences, like asphyxiation in a closed space, or frostbite, but isn't there always a way to win a Darwin Award?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:49   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Canibul,
I'm afraid your hosed, I don't think there is any product of any kind that will get those bolts out. Hope I'm wrong though
I'd find me a machine shop willing to do the work first, and then wring the bolts off as I think that's going to happen anyway.
Question I have is, if you went back with an SS threaded insert, wouldn't then later down the road an SS bolt come out of an SS insert a lot easier than aluminum?

Once you wring the head off, I bet with a rivet gun I could get the bolts out, maybe
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 12:25   #56

Boat: Skookum 53'

During a recent refit project, I have used all the previously mentioned products, Kroil, Mouse milk, and PB blaster. All have worked to varying degrees, the combination with heat and beat proved most effective, I also have a 3/8" hammer impact that is helpful if you have the room to swing a hammer. The bolts on the exhaust flange proved to be the most stubborn, and some I was able to back out, some I twisted off with a 1/2" drive impact tool, and lastly tried and true makita grinder with a cutting blade. Aluminum / stainless interface proved to be more problematic, I did not try the vinegar, but none of the other solvents worked for me, ended up twisting the heads off the bolts and drilling the holes out. Aluminum does expand greater and faster than S/S so sometimes heat will help, just have to be careful about how hot you get is as mentioned earlier Aluminum melts quicker, and it does not change color as it heats up. When I had to refasten Aluminum/Stainless, I always used Nical anti seize for future removal.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:31   #57
One of Those

I even bought one of those hammer driven impact thingums.
You can get a good grip on it and you hit it with a hammer and it translates that into a short rotational motion coupled with a briefly solid set to the bolt or screw head.... But try as I may, I just cain't get no slack back from the whack, Jack.
Old 14-12-2015, 13:18   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have to preload those kind of impacts, that is put some turning force on it in the direction you want it to go, then wack the thing hoping you don't hit your hand.
But a "real" impact set well below the force required to wring the thing off and constantly going from loosen to tighten, back and forth, might work

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:19   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Question I have is, if you went back with an SS threaded insert, wouldn't then later down the road an SS bolt come out of an SS insert a lot easier than aluminum?
That's what I did in my mast. Figured if the SS inserts froze in place then so what. As long as the SS bolt comes out of the SS insert I can work with it. Of course I did coat the insert with Loctite anyway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:28   #60
One of Those

There's just something ironic about working to break a frozen bolt out and then reinstalling it with Loctite to make sure it doesn't come out.

I had a nice set of pneumatic tools, several impact ratchets etc. and a nice compressor but sold it all to move aboard a boat.

The Loctite heirs live down here, by the way. Nice people.

Tags
exhaust, oil