Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 06:15   #16

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Pekins 4.236 Losing Coolent

You can use the high heat form a gasket. Comes in a tube. Permatex and Locktite each have their own version. Have done this many times. Water pump gaskets are sometimes hard to find by themselves. Sellers include them in a pump replacement kit. The drain plugs are in the side of the block and in the bottom of the heat exchanger. When you have the pump out spin the pulley and listen for squeaks. The seal will cause the leak a while before the bearing self destructs. Often times the pump will still feel solid with a gone seal.
Old 20-12-2012, 06:19   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 48 T

thanks Lancerbye I have tube gasket stuff so I will have my coffee and then start with some help from a fellow cruiser,,,,
Sandiiyam48t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 06:21   #18

Re: My coolant leak perkins 4.236

thank you both new here as you can tell but WOW has this been helpful, I will spread the word and I hope one time I can be of help
Old 20-12-2012, 07:20   #19

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Also you can use a sheet of paper gasket with the good thicknes and make a new one , i made some gaskets for my heat exchanger and no leaks until now, any NAPA around??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 07:33   #20

NAPA is what we do around 3pm here in Bocas Del Toro (BdT) Panama,,,, in BdT there is not even a gas station, no mechanics shop, you either fly into Panama for $250 short flight or spend 11 hours on a bus cheep like $5, those are each way costs, and no NAPA in Panama but I can order stuff and have it shipped ,,
THE issue is a leak at the little hole in the pump so I will try and drain some coolant if I can find the drain plug and get at it my guess is no way, then see what I have or ask the other cruisers for a spare. IN fact now that I think of it I may have a spare, no gasket but one thing at a time
THANKS to all
Old 20-12-2012, 07:35   #21

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

It would be extremely rare for a water pump gasket to start leaking after a long history of no leak. A failing water pump leaking through the weep hole is much more likely. A flat gasket between two heavy pieces of iron with only about 15# of pressure inside is not under much stress.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:38   #22

Sorry, I didn't read far enough. You can pull the pump off, replace the bearings and seals assuming that the impeller is still in good shape and the shaft isn't worn where the seal rides, and either make a gasket or just use RTV. In a pinch I would be comfortable making a gasket out of a cereal box (I like frosted corn flakes ) as long as I used a good gasket sealant.
If you can get a new pump it should come with a new gasket.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:44   #23

BTW, I had an old Volvo station wagon once and the water pump started leaking bad. I needed to make it home, 75 miles. I bought some cooling system sealant at an auto parts store but I didn't expect it to help. It did. I bought a new water pump the next day but I wanted to see how long the sealant would continue to work. It worked for a YEAR!
The only reason that I finally replaced the pump is because I was selling the car and I didn't want to be the DAPO. That's dumb ass previous owner.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:54   #24

thanks again it seems the hole is leaking a lot there is no movement in the shaft but I will pull it and see just trying to find a way to not pollute the ocean with coolant
Old 20-12-2012, 09:18   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All above is Good Info!! But next time ya are around a Good automotive parts store, or even a big repair shop get ya some gasket material in a couple of thicknessses(spl LOL) and if ya don't have one, an exacto knife! and ya will allways have gaskets!! a lot of us do this and have done so for a long time! never hurts to have stuff to fix things anywhere!! Just a thought !!
Old 20-12-2012, 09:21   #26

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Sandra, we talking about the fresh water pump right? if the leak is a the pilot hole probably is the shaft seals , check carefully is the leak is at the gasket, if not , the seals are bad , i dont know how bad is the leak , some pumps in hot working conditions stop leaking a bit, you can call TADI , is a perkins dealer in florida and the guys are super , i buy lots of parts there at good price, phone number:1-800-927-9295.

Cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:24   #27

there should be a small hose exiting just below the pressure cap/filler. The engine actually heats up a little after you turn it off. The coolant is likely discharging through this hose when the cap pressure relieves. I would replace the filler cap (with one with the correct pressure rating).

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 15:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I suspect you will find that the seal and bearing for the pump are gone and the coolant is dripping out of the hole behind the pulley. This usually indicates replace or rebuild time. These pumps are easy to rebuild, the bearings and seals are available at good bearing supply stores. You will need a puller.
thanks for the tips!!

Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, perkins