Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2016, 09:12   #1

Boat: cal29
Pedestal Conversion

I am converting my Cal 29 from tiller to pedestal. Should I connect the shifting cable from the clutch on the pedestal to the shifting arm on the engine from aft of the arm so the cable goes straight to it, or should I direct it to the front of the engine and loop it back to the shifting arm. Any thoughts or experience with this set-up?

Old 22-06-2016, 11:12   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: pedestal conversion

Hey, it's your boat but have you done a lot of reading on the subject? You are introducing new failure points to your steering and 29ft is a v small boat for a wheel. It's a lot of cockpit space to give up. Out of curiousity, why do you want a wheel?

Old 22-06-2016, 11:30   #3

The tiller on this boat takes up two thirds of the cockpit length. When I go to tack, even if there is only one person on the leeward side, they have to move. I've also found it to be more tiring on longer cruises.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:13   #4

Interesting, mine hinges up out of the way when not in use and when my cockpit is crowded when sailing I raise it to near vertical and just steer with a little less leverage. Would that work on yours? I was getting tired on longer trips like you but a $500 tiller autopilot solved that problem :-) At minimum I would ensure an emergency tiller setup, otherwise I'd have nightmares about broken steering cables in a bad spot/time. Also, resell value may be a consideration for you. I plan to keep mine forever :-D

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-06-2016, 13:35   #5

Re: Pedestal Conversion

The question wasn't weather or not conversion from tiller to pedestal is a good idea. I've been sailing long enough to know the pros and cons of converting and knowledgeable enough to know what could go wrong mechanically, and be able to fix it. I also do have plans in place for auxilliary steering. So the question is about the cable connection between the clutch on the pedestal and the shifting arm on the engine. If anyone has experience or information in regards to that issue, love to hear it.
Old 22-06-2016, 16:29   #6

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Glad you have things covered. Good luck with the cable issue.
Old 22-06-2016, 17:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

30 yrs back I converted my C & C Redwing 31 from tiller to wheel. Enjoyed that boat for many years. My drawings are still part of Edson's files, AFAIK. Shortest cable, clamped along its length to solid points results in the least " lost motion ". Remember, depending on whether the bellcrank on the pedestal lever pushes or pulls the inner cable, will control the reaction of the tranny lever to Fwd or Rev.
Old 22-06-2016, 17:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanick View Post
I am converting my Cal 29 from tiller to pedestal. Should I connect the shifting cable from the clutch on the pedestal to the shifting arm on the engine from aft of the arm so the cable goes straight to it, or should I direct it to the front of the engine and loop it back to the shifting arm. Any thoughts or experience with this set-up?
The answer is determined by whatever the direction of the lever arm on the transmission on your engine does.

On my boat, moving the lever aft makes the boat go forward. That means when I push the lever on the pedestal forward, it pulls the cable aft. There may be some intermediate linkage somewhere between the pedestal or within it that I am not aware of (and don't believe exists--Edson pedestal), just what's happening at the ends.

Good luck on your conversion.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The answer is determined by whatever the direction of the lever arm on the transmission on your engine does.

On my boat, moving the lever aft makes the boat go forward. That means when I push the lever on the pedestal forward, it pulls the cable aft. There may be some intermediate linkage somewhere between the pedestal or within it that I am not aware of (and don't believe exists--Edson pedestal), just what's happening at the ends.

Good luck on your conversion.
iirc, on some transmissions, the Hurth for instance, the shift lever can be inverted to accomodate various cable leads.

Tags
pedestal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: