Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36   #1

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea
Painting My Diesel

My 2002 Volvo is rusty. I want to hire someone to touch up the rust spots. How sould that be done, and must the boat be out of the water?

Thanks.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Painting My Diesel

First, this is such an easy job I believe you would be foolish to hire someone, easy two beer job, requires no mechanical skill and can be done while watching TV or something, boat need not be moved.

I first clean off as much rust and loose paint that I can with a stainless steel toothbrush, then coat the rusted areas with rust stop or there are many names. I believe it is osphoric acid or such and chemically converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate or something, but it does prevent the rust from coming back.
I can only find the correct color paint in a spray can, but I don't want to try to spray paint so I spray the paint into a cup, then use a cheap brush to apply the paint.
Works a lot better than you may think, done right you can't tell the touched up area.

Oh, don't use a cheap plastic disposable cup like a Solo cup, paint will eat through it quickly and leave you with a mess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26   #3

Thanks for the information. I heard somewhere that the acid can eat gaskets and such. Any truth to that?

And you can do this dockside?

Can you get Volvo weird color touch up paint?

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have never had the rust stop stuff you buy at an auto parts store hurt anything, maybe it could but I doubt it. It turns the rust black and dries like paint.
You can find paint to match any engine I'm sure, mine is a Yanmar and I bought it from a Yanmar dealer, but the good news is it's an exact, perfect match, you can't tell the touch up from the original.
You can find all kinds of engine paint that will I'm sure be very close, but I didn't want my engine to have different colors on it, so I went with the dealer paint.

If you don't use the rust converter stuff, I believe the rust will soon return.

Now that I have my engine pretty I have sprayed it with Corrosion-X and I do not think I will ever have any rust again. I've done this before and over time dust will build up on the Corrosion-X as it is a film of oil, but a yearly wash with warm soapy water and a soft brush, touch up any spots that need it and re-apply the Corrosion-X and the engine will always look new.

Mine is 30 yrs old
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Volvo dealers probably have matching paint, but it would be cheaper anywhere else.

I usually wire brush and then use cold galvanizing (zinc) spray under the color. Mask if you're going to spray unless you want overspray on wires, bilge, etc.

No difference painting in the water. Better in a warm engineroom. Run engine, wait until room temp, paint.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43   #6

I would clean off the big stuff with a wire brush and vacuum often while doing that. I would then brush the rusty areas with Naval jelly and let it sit a bit. Wipe off as much as possible with a good rag or two. I would then rinse everything with fresh water, just lightly with some pressure to remove all the jelly , rust etc. Let it dry well over night and paint it with engine paint.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46   #7

Thanks again all. Once again, job looked more intensive than it actually is.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:53   #8

Well..Don't be misled... if it's pretty bad it can be a long messy job. Some engines are a pile of rust, some are just a bit rusty here and there.
You could hire a day worker to do the majority of the cleaning if you are not inclined and it's real bad. This? or This?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Looks%20bad%20but%20is%20it.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	125382   Click image for larger version

Name:	old-engine-rusty-diesel-pump-53774516.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	125383  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:11   #9

Will send picture if I can figure out how on phone.
Old 02-06-2016, 13:43   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

It can be done in the boat by a careful worker. The engine must be cleaned and de-greased first, then de-rusted, then de-greased again and then painted.

The lower part, around and below the oil sump is the most difficult to do well.

It is somewhat easier if you remove some parts before (exhaust elbow, alternator, hoses and wires, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:36   #11

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I went to my local NAPA store and purchased primer and high temp engine paint. Primed and then painted. As is normal, prep is the hardest part. Looks good now. We did do some dis-assembly, but most was painted in-situ. Engine / Power Train | Sailing Vessel Vigah Of course my engine room by sailboat standards is huge. I can even crawl around in it.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:13   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... then coat the rusted areas with rust stop or there are many names. I believe it is osphoric acid or such and chemically converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate or something ...
It’s Phosphoric Acid < Ospho >.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:09   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we painted KA LUNK in boat. both while apart and together. just clean n soray. ta daa. check out thread named ka lunk for colors. still looks awesome
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:57   #14

Boat: Island Packet 35

On the rust subject, I just installed a couple of pencil type anodes on the engine thinking they may help with corrosion.
I couldn't find much info regarding so, Is this a futile attempt or will it help somewhat?
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, paint