Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 19:40   #1

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol
Paint for Exhaust Piping?

I'm in the process of cleaning my engineroom with grease removal cleaners. Its coming along better than expected. My problem now is the asbestos/ resin liner that covers all the exhaust pipes and exhaust manifolds is looking a little rough. It could use a coat of paint but I'm somewhat concern if I use the wrong type of paint it will start to flake and peel. It looks like something like aluminum paint on it now. Its a 1983 Hatteras and I thought I would try all the boaters here on Cruisers Forum first. Any idea what type paint was used and where I might obtain some for my project? It looks like it would soak up a lot of the paint so it will take a few coats to get the color back to where it belongs...

thanks,
captseamus
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 19:48   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: Paint for Exhaust Piping?

Dupli-Color :: Engine Paint with Ceramic

The internet search is your friend...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 19:51   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

You can get exhaust paint at a hotrod shop in an aerosol can, that's one end of the spectrum. VHT performs the best.
Or you can send it out and have it ceramic coated, that's the other end of the spectrum.
In the middle, there are probably some good and expensive marine products available.
Either way, wrap it up with that cool exhaust wrap when you're done.
Old 21-06-2013, 19:52   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I recently installed a new exhaust elbow and painted it with a heat resistant paint, should be good to 800F constantly, and the elbow doesn't get that hot because of the water cooling, so its nothing like in a car. There are higher temp resistant paints also available. I would ask at my local hardware store if you don't find out better here.
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:48   #5

thanks guys!

I'm not talking steel I'm speaking of asbestos wrapping cloth that goes around the exhaust pipes. My port and starboard 10" exhaust pipes are wrapped from the turbos (4) all the way through the engine room area which proceeds through the aft bulkhead to the stern. The "Asbestos Wrapping Cloth" looked like it was painted silver or aluminum(?) when new and is now faded and somewhat looks the worse for wear. I image its some type of heat resistant paint. My main worry is if I don't use the correct product it will flake off and be a total disaster later.. If it isn't the right stuff the heat from the turbos may also easily melt and let the new paint drip..

captseamus
Old 21-06-2013, 21:05   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's called Lagging Compound. Brush on, spread on etc..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:11   #7

thanks guy,
I believe that's what I used in the Navy many moons ago. Mixed with water and we used our hands to work it in the coverings on the steam pipes. Work great too. I don't see that lapping compound on the fibers on this cloth though. The cloth is woven and it looks like a resin fiber, maybe asbestos, I don't know. I don't think it would absorb paint though but it must because the paint or whatever is on it doesn't come off be is worn/faded effect. The fibers looks to be a pinkish color in the raw - perhaps fiberglass matting?? It definitely doesn't have a heavy lagging coating to it... I remember lagging to get hard and paintable (but its been 43 years since I did lagging) My engine cloth is still fairly soft compare to lagging..

I think I will try to get in contact with Sam's Marine Parts who deal with Hatteras for a parts outlet and have some factory retirees who worked at Hatteras. It will be my last resort I guess. Thanks to all you guys for your input, I appreciate your help!

captseamus

Tags
exhaust, paint