Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 15:29   #1

P30 cut less bearing

Just got 1974 Pearson 30 and need to change the cutless bearing. Trying online to find the size of the cutless bearing on 1974 P 30 to order new one by the size and also build the right removal tool, but so far no success. Any help where can I find these info? Thanks!
Ilijanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:54   #2

You really need to measure it. The marine industry isn't consistent with things like that.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 16:06   #3

Thank you Daddle!
Old 28-12-2012, 16:16   #4
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: P30 cut less bearing

I keep a strut pro and prop puller onboard, not a cheap tool to only use once every five years or so. But a very quick easy job with compressed air and impact. I left the impact and 36mm socket at home. If your in south FL, hit me up, all this vacation gets boring without some funtime boatyard action. When i did mine I brought a generator and air compresser to yard. Yards like it when you never bother them for anything.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 16:18   #5
cruiser

pull then measure, for my 1" shaft, the outter diameter was available in 4 sizes
Old 28-12-2012, 16:29   #6

Yes, I am in south FL, Ft. Lauderdale area. Waiting for the sailboat to be delivered Jan 1st or Jan 6th from Stuart. Have some experience with powerboats, but this is something new for me. Any advice or suggestion will help. I am scuba diver, so def will dive in to measure the size. Thanks for replying!
Old 28-12-2012, 16:36   #7

Boat: csy 37

did this last year on our club's p30. seem to recall it uses a 3/4" shaft, but, there are other dimensions involved here besides shaft size. nice to know it's not a particularly difficult job with the proper tools.

on my own csy 37, i decided it was time to replace the $80 cutless bearing a few months ago. a thousand dollars later and i now a new cutless bearing, new shaft, new engine coupling, new hose collar, and new packing....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 16:55   #8
cruiser

Same here I went to change the bearing and ended up removing & rebeding strut, new shaft & bearing. As with all boat projects dont get set in what you need to, because once you start, the game will change, and will cost 3 times what you estimated it would. The outter bearing diameter is in 1/16", so with growth and such underwater measuring might not work. You were going to haul to do this right? Haul, pull bearing, call defender, press in new bearing days later. I'm in key west with strut pro. google it and check it out.
Old 28-12-2012, 17:08   #9

Well, I'll do it one time but right way. Is it Playboy marine the only place for DIY in this area?
Old 28-12-2012, 17:23   #10
cruiser

Use the haul to slap some bottom paint on, maybe some through hull maintence, rebed'em, maybe some 6" round oak backing epoxied to the hull. Make this your only haul for a couple of years.