Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 16:01   #1

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Outboard Water not exhausting much

Hey guys i got a late model 2.5 HP Suzuki off Craigs List it runs ok but the water is not spewing out of the pee hole like I see it does on youtube. Its only trickling out, out of the pee hole and the hole below that, even when i have it at full throttle, is there a way to make sure the water cooling system is not clogged? Should i have it serviced, and about how much would this cost? thanks! ShipofFools
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 16:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Outboard Water not exhausting much

Keep in mind that the higher visible water stream is not the cooling water itself, but an indicator that the cooling water is working. It's quite common for this indicator stream to be clogged with a little debris, often algae, while the cooling system is fine. Before you open the lower unit to change the impeller, take a piece of broom straw or the thin tube from a WD40 can and poke it in this hole to clear it. It can be this simple!
Old 29-08-2018, 16:49   #3

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Keep in mind that the higher visible water stream is not the cooling water itself, but an indicator that the cooling water is working. It's quite common for this indicator stream to be clogged with a little debris, often algae, while the cooling system is fine. Before you open the lower unit to change the impeller, take a piece of broom straw or the thin tube from a WD40 can and poke it in this hole to clear it. It can be this simple!
thanks i tried this but it didnt work, i wonder if its some other blockage inside the tubes that run up and down the shaft
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The next best step, for me, would be to go ahead and replace the impeller. This is not a very complex fix and you can follow some YouTube instruction videos for support. There is a possibility of some type of additional blockage, but that's unlikely. You could go ahead an use a strong stream of water attempting to flush things out, but I'm sticking with the impeller change.
Old 30-08-2018, 09:24   #5

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If the motor is new to you, replace the impeller, if for nothing more than piece of mind! It's not a difficult or expensive job. At the same time you can blow out the indicator hose from the water pump up to the pee hole. As Hudson Force said, it's not unusual for these pee holes to become clogged with debris, including spider webs, but because they're so small, pushing something up in them can sometimes just move the clog further up the hose.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 10:06   #6

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Very possible that the whole cooling system might be clogged with salt, get some Salt Away and run the engine in a barrel with Salt Away in the water.
This will clear salt from the water galleries in the motor.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 10:29   #7

Many times this is just salt or debris in the little tube. Push a soft small wire into the hole or the tube to clear it. This is especially true of salt water use engines. If they sit a while almost every time!
Don't jump right to replacing an impeller. I've done a few and not once have they actually been bad.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 10:29   #8

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

if the exhaust water is good but not the "peehole" your impeler might be ok but your heat exchanger might be clogged, both are easy to check and fix
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 10:52   #9

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
Very possible that the whole cooling system might be clogged with salt, get some Salt Away and run the engine in a barrel with Salt Away in the water.
I had this same problem with my 3hp yamaha. I didn't know about Salt Away which is basically an acid wash. Having previously cooked a small Mercury outboard, I took drastic action and pulled the engine apart. I was shocked at how badly the cooling system was blocked with calcium deposits.

I found using an old screw driver removed most of the gunk. I also experimented with a solution of acid, which looked to simply disolve it. It frothed up and dislodged. The acid I used was gelcoat restorer and I have since also used rust converter added to a bucket that I run the engine in. A few years later I discovered Salt Away at a boat show.

So we pay the ultimate price for not following the user manual instructions and flushing the system with fresh water after each use in salt water.

I have now found the ultimate answer to a yachtsman's dinghy outboard. I picked up a 2nd hand air cooled 2hp honda! One less job at the end of each day.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-31-03-41-25.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	176474
Old 30-08-2018, 11:07   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys i got a late model 2.5 HP Suzuki off Craigs List it runs ok but the water is not spewing out of the pee hole like I see it does on youtube. Its only trickling out, out of the pee hole and the hole below that, even when i have it at full throttle, is there a way to make sure the water cooling system is not clogged? Should i have it serviced, and about how much would this cost? thanks! ShipofFools
A wild guess would be change the impeller.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 11:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

A length of weed whacker line works well to run up the output...
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:38   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It sounds as though the system IS clogged--and you have to dismantle it to make sure all is clear. The only other possibility for the small flow is a damaged impeller--and you need to take that apart too. Download the workshop manual for your model from the internet--and with a small set of metric sockets and a cross-head screwdriver, you are ready to race. It is not as big a job as one might imagine.

Lotsa luck.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:53   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post

This is s good idea on a new-to-you used outboard, as well as changing the impeller straight away. Most small outboards don’t have an overheat alarm and it’s why a lot of folks change their impeller every year or two as preventative maintenance.
Old 30-08-2018, 14:29   #14

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

On the big fishing boats they
Change the impeller every year. Even if they don’t need it! Saltway is the best to use to clean the salt out of the cooling tubes no acid. Acid will scar the tubes so more stuff will stick to the walls.
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 14:44   #15

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

You can leave Saltway in the motor. It will not hurt the motor it will help clean it out more
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, outboard, water