Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 09:26   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
outboard put to multi use?

Inspired by the Diesel Outboards thread
Diesel Outboards in USA - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I'm imagining an outboard motor being used to power auxiliary loads like

high current electricity generation
high gph watermaking
compressor driving a holding plate freezer

Has anyone come across a such a kludge, even just theoretical discussions?

Even if the propellor needed removing, could carry two identical units, would give redundancy.

Ignoring for now placement and space configuration problems.

Except of course cooling must be a big issue?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:25   #2
txg

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: outboard put to multi use?

This is an idea i had in my mind for a long time.

It would be nice to add a charging coil to the dinghy outboard. Even small sizes like the ones used on bikes can deliver about 20 amps and wouldn't add a lot of weight to an outboard.

The main problem is probably the connection of the coil to the engine shaft.

Would be a much better solution than using an extra Honda generator, as the dinghy engine is a lot quieter and watercooled. And at anchor the Dinghy is in the water anyways.
Old 13-12-2018, 10:37   #3
cruiser

Well there are tons of outboards with a little alt attached, I would think all the electric start ones.

But that would only use a small fraction of the engine's kW / HP output, 20A seems high?

This idea here is to get all that power output put to use, as an **alternative** to using it for propulsion, not concurrently.

I assume the whole unit would need to be relocated, and as I said likely the prop removed.
Old 13-12-2018, 11:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Already been invented, its called a Honda 20i.

Suppose you could always stick a car alternator on one of these. Its in my roof at the moment for my retirement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seagulls.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	182093  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 14:46   #5
cruiser

Does anything make that model different from others for this use case?

How would it attach to the PTO / gearbox or whatever? Prop come off easy?

Can it run cool out of the water?

and for a 30-40 gph watermaker, or say 10kW battery charging or freezing big holding plates in an hour

probably need a bit more oomph?
Old 13-12-2018, 14:47   #6
cruiser

My Dad had a 1/2 HP version of that, I think from the 40's
Old 13-12-2018, 18:27   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Years ago I saw an outboard that drove an automobile alternator from its flywheel.

I found this YouTube video of similar.

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/2.5alt/2.5alt.html

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 05:37   #8

I spent a little more internet time looking for mention of an automobile alternator mounted on an outboard motor but with little success. It is mentioned in the last two posts to this thread... https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...tboard.148412/

Bill
Old 14-12-2018, 06:11   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most smallish outboards that are available with electric start can often be retrofitted without too much trouble to have a charging circuit.
However it is usually just like an older motorcycle, that is it’s a trickle charger that doesn’t vary output and uses a rectifier.
I’m eventually going to do this on my Suzuki to charge a battery for the depth finder etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 06:19   #10
cruiser

Brand name Scream 'n Fly, too funny.

But thanks, one starting data point.
Old 14-12-2018, 08:51   #11
cruiser

From that thread, pointed out the more elegant solution would be electric for the propulsion, coupled with a diesel engine below to generate the power.

Which thus leads to just going electric for the charging the freezer eutectics and high-output watermaker. Likely much lower cost and better reliability than mechanical drives for those.

Key to practicality on this version, would be getting the electric propulsion side at lower cost than say Torqueedo's rigs. . .
Old 14-12-2018, 09:43   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Back when my (two boats ago) sailboat had a Honda outboard, I often thought of installing a blender base on top of the cowling, connecting to the flywheel under it. Was very serious about my Margaritas at the time. But not enough to actually do it.
(and yes, they do make a gasoline-powered blender, I just felt that already having the engine part...)
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 09:54   #13

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
From that thread, pointed out the more elegant solution would be electric for the propulsion, coupled with a diesel engine below to generate the power.

Which thus leads to just going electric for the charging the freezer eutectics and high-output watermaker. Likely much lower cost and better reliability than mechanical drives for those.

Key to practicality on this version, would be getting the electric propulsion side at lower cost than say Torqueedo's rigs. . .

I agree a diesel genset is a much more elegant solution. However also much more expensive.
I just keep the outboard for propulsion, using it's inbuilt electric start charging circuit, to top up batteries on dull days. Power for refrigeration etc comes from solar panels. A more "elegant" , and cheaper, solution, again, than a smelly diesel.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:24   #14

I have failed to find on the web what I saw years ago, so I'll describe the small outboard with an automobile generator that I remember from my memory.

The outboard was a small, probably OMC, maybe7.5 or 8 hp. The time was 1980 or so on the Chesapeake Bay or Pamlico Sound. I was taken with the idea because I had (and still have) a Tanzer 22 with a 7.5 hp Johnson outboard with a nominal 5A alternator under the flywheel that in practice produces much less.

A disk was machined maybe 10" in diameter. The disk was installed on the alternator shaft like a v-belt pulley would be. The disk was then attached to the top of the flywheel and bolted to the puller holes in the flywheel so that the alternator was held above the flywheel and rectifier end up. The alternator body was prevented from rotating by an arm, but the actual mounting was the alternator shaft. The alternator stuck out through a hole in the engine cover and was itself covered with a top-hat like cover.

The shaft speed would be the outboard engine speed and thus a little slow for an automobile alternator. But, that could be overcome by installing a 24V stator and keeping the 12V regulator.

The alignment of the two shafts would be tricky, but it was obviously manageable.

Bill
Old 14-12-2018, 11:04   #15

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

I imagine the cheapest way to add extra charging to an outboard would be to bolt a used washing machine drive, such as the Fisher and Paykel smart drive, the alternative energy crowd use for wind generators, to the top of the fly wheel.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard