Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 10:32   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
Outboard oil change

For the record I did search first, but didn't see anything that was relevant.

My Catalina 27 has a 10hp Honda four stroke outboard. Its time for an oil change and perhaps a minor service. Boat is at Aqualand Marina on Lake Lanier. I am used to do all kinds of maintenance on cars and motorcycles, but I just can't formulate a plan for this outboard.

I assume it has to be removed from the boat and taken to a service yard or home into garage. I have no idea how heavy this sucker is, and I haven't hit the gym in a while My boat doesnt have a dinghy hoist, nor I have an engine lift.

What do people do?

- Back the boat to dock and lift with hands?
- Borrow an engine lift that you roll to the end of dock?
- Change oil while on the water (probably not a good idea)?
- Do you need some sort of stand to handle the motor once of the boat?

Any suggestions?
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Outboard oil change

This is not my boat, but that is roughly how the Doc / Slip is.

Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:41   #3

Don't do this job with the engine on the transom in the water. The motor weighs nearly 100 lbs., get a friend to help you. Some marinas have engine hoists, if yours doesn't you'll just have to manhandle it out of the boat and onto the dock. You'll need to borrow or buy a dinghy cart to get it home. Good luck!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:08   #4

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I wrassle my 8hp Honda on and off my skiff routinely solo you don't need an engine lift.

To make it a little easier you could always maneuver the transom of your boat closer to dock by swinging bow out assuming slipmate was gone. Or back into slip. Probably easier with 2 people firmly on the dock. Suggest tying a rope to it and around the piling before lifting just in case.

On my Honda the drain for the oil is down the leg so if you do it over the water you can almost guarantee you are going to spill some. On my skiff I just put a oil pan under the whole leg and pull the plug. You want to deflect the oil so it doesn't shoot sideways at first. May as well do the lower unit while you are doing it.

An engine stand would make things easier, can make one from 2x4 pretty fast or find something handy for the change. Highly recommend a pan and just letting it drip until dry.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:43   #5
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

You easily change your oil with the engine in place without spilling by using one of the oil suction pumps. Your outboard will hold no more than a quart, so it needn't be a big or fancy pump. Mine was $25 US. Make sure you use a rag when withdrawing the hose or you will spill a few drops.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 00:59   #6

I would recommend you and a friend will easily remove the Honda for servicing perhaps having a drum or similar ready to prop up the engine,(Weighs only 77 Lb)

Maintenance can be found here https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...s/31882621.pdf

If changing the engine oil be sure to change out the drive oil at the same time as quite often overlooked, if any sign of water (milky) then the seal behind the propeller will need changing- note Honda's reference for this oil(GL5-90), The GL rating is what is important as GL5) they do say GL4 will work but go for the GL5 Rating)Royal Purple brand is the best money can buy (well in my humble opinion!)

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 01:02   #7

FORGOT as others have stated- ALWAYS TIE A ROPE TO THE ENGINE/BOAT prior to lifting on/off

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change, outboard