Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 18:12   #1

Outboard mount not much holding power in down position

Hey folks!

I've been getting my boat ready for the season and one of the items im trying to address is something that happened my first outing when i was motoring along.

So I have an outboard mount on the boat

When the mount is in the down position, it feels like the slightest touch and it springs towards the upwards position. This of course makes it a giant pain in the neck trying to get the outboard on or off it since touching the mount the thing springs up.

One of the things that happened while motoring was while reversing the mount would spring upto the top position and I would have to push down on the outboard while reversing to prevent it from popping up.

Is there something I can do with this mount to help it stay more secure while in the down position?
Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 04:30   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Outboard mount not much holding power in down position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsilfin View Post

Is there something I can do with this mount to help it stay more secure while in the down position?
Looks like the locking holes and slot in the center plate is rather worn. Replace it and probably the pin. If parts are unavailable, it shouldn't be to hard to manufacturer one yourself out of some hard alloy of aluminum plate, using the original as a pattern. You could also make one that would last longer out of stainless, but unless you have a friend with a machine shop and a source of ss scrap, that would probably cost more than replacing the whole mount...

Other than that you might be able to jury-rig something, but it would probably wind up being more of a pain in the ass to deploy, and then jump out of place just when you needed it most...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mou.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	125021  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 05:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"For safety and liability reasons we DO NOT sell parts or springs for any Garelick Auxiliary Motor Brackets to outside parties. The disassembly and reassembly of these products requires a special jig and compression system to safely remove and reinstall the springs. These springs are under high tension and could cause severe injury if incorrectly handled. The only parts for these products that can be safely installed by a customer are limited to the tension knobs, the mounting board that holds the outboard motor and the safety cable. If you need more extensive repairs or parts please contact our Garelick Customer Service Department at: mail@garelick.com and inquire about our exchange program."

Garelick EEz-In

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:35   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

The spring that holds the up/down lever in position is usually the problem on these things. Your spring may just be worn out and has lost some tension. It may be time for a new bracket

The spring rod on mine (different design) comes out from time to time and the bracket will pop up a notch or two. Mine is an adjustable bracket with 4 positions.

Once I reposition the spring rod back into it's slot it works perfectly, but it's a pita to do. I use a very long and large screwdriver plus a hammer and cuss a lot when doing this job due to the spring tension
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:54   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Outboard mount not much holding power in down position

I would add a bungee to the top of the locking arm attached to the lower pivot, not too tight, but enough to prevent it from popping off of the pin that keeps the mount in the Down Position.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I would add a bungee to the top of the locking arm attached to the lower pivot, not too tight, but enough to prevent it from popping off of the pin that keeps the mount in the Down Position.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

This seems like it might be an easy enough thing to test out. If there is a little more tension pulling that arm towards the boat it would probably keep in its grove. Ill give this a try

Thanks!
Old 27-05-2016, 13:51   #7

Boat: Coast 30

Hello,

Gord May is absolutely right; You should not attempt to take that Garlick out board motor bracket apart. I have an exact one of these in much better condition. who wants it?

So there are two points I can tell you about this.

1) That bracket is so old and historical that no one at Garlick remembers the aluminium sand cast 'board' being produced.

2)The second point is; That this is for use with a two stroke out board motor only.

I have a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke so they have asked me not to use it. Several months ago an acquaintance begged to use it to move a 35 foot boat. He only moved it one kilometre before I pulled it off as it was tweaking the lifting bars. Perhaps this is causing it to trip back up? and yes it does look worn out.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 16:36   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like he is just trying to get by with it for a while longer and that idea of a bungee cord is a very good one and should work
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 17:02   #9

I ended up getting home and taking a round file to the latch area for holding it in the down position. Cleaned it up some and it seems to be holding better now and not popping up at the slightest touch.

Should i replace the whole mount? I might eventually.

I'm just going to try this season out using it to basically idle in and out of the marina once i'm situated in a slip. It will most likely not be used for any extensive under power motoring.

i've given all the parts a quick dab of grease as well to keep them happy and reduce friction.

Thanks for all the input folks Ill probably grab a hand full of bungees to keep on board and if the need arises I can jerry rig one up to try holding that locking arm back better.
Old 27-05-2016, 23:03   #10

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

a timber or plastic wedge same thickness as the worn centre slotted arm / the right size to hold the arm in place against the mounting bolt on the back of the board may get you out of trouble if you need to motor away from a shoal or an object in case of no wind /
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard