Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 14:04   #16
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,057
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1862057]I have a Mariner 25 horsepower two stroke engine on my dinghy.

This old engine, if the ambient temperature is over 20C, starts if you look at it crossways. It has electric start which is totally unnecessary, with a car type battery which is just useless extra weight in my davits.

Do I have to have a battery connected to it to run, or will this ruin the alternator? I'd like to just toss the battery and forget about it.

Ignition is obviously by magneto as a dead as a doornail battery doesn't not inhibit its starting at all.

Grateful for tips.[/QUOTE

Try a motorcycle battery, Smaller less weight and starts scooters larger than that OB.
__________________

__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 19:22   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,157
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

I was going to suggest a much smaller battery but I see several people have beaten me to it. You'd be surprised how small a battery will spin a 25 hp engine. My Lehr 15 hp has a little LiFePo battery under the hood. It's about the size of three packs of playing cards. They use the same battery in their new 25.
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:22   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 990
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
At a guess it has to do with how the alternator is excited. Both Honda and Mercury manuals leave the CD unit as a black box, but Honda shows a possibly battery driven excitation circuit (so removal of the battery also remove excitation), while the Mercury manual shows only rectifier connections to the battery, thus implying excitation from the magneto side (in which case the alternator would always be excited). That's a guess, impossible to tell from the diagrams I found.

As suggested, if you don't want to use the electric start could always put in a 2-3kg 15Ah sealed battery just to help the voltage regulation do its job.
I think you're right, and the fuse I mentioned earlier is between the magneto output and the rectifier so if you simply remove that inline fuse (less than 30" of time), then you can safely run the motor without having an excited rectifier with nowhere for it's output to go. I always seem to end up with Mercury's so that's where my familiarity ends, but since the OP asked the question about a Mariner, which is essentially a saltwater Mercury in gray clothing, I suspect that the same is true of it as the black motors that actually say Mercury on the side, and if he wishes to save his charging system for possible future use, he should remove that fuse before running the engine with no battery connected.
__________________
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:56   #19
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,737
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

[QUOTE=Cadence;1862948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a Mariner 25 horsepower two stroke engine on my dinghy.

This old engine, if the ambient temperature is over 20C, starts if you look at it crossways. It has electric start which is totally unnecessary, with a car type battery which is just useless extra weight in my davits.

Do I have to have a battery connected to it to run, or will this ruin the alternator? I'd like to just toss the battery and forget about it.

Ignition is obviously by magneto as a dead as a doornail battery doesn't not inhibit its starting at all.

Grateful for tips.[/QUOTE

Try a motorcycle battery, Smaller less weight and starts scooters larger than that OB.
That was my first thought. I actually ordered one last April but it did not arrive before my departure.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31   #20
chp
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think you're right, and the fuse I mentioned earlier is between the magneto output and the rectifier so if you simply remove that inline fuse (less than 30" of time), then you can safely run the motor without having an excited rectifier with nowhere for it's output to go. I always seem to end up with Mercury's so that's where my familiarity ends, but since the OP asked the question about a Mariner, which is essentially a saltwater Mercury in gray clothing, I suspect that the same is true of it as the black motors that actually say Mercury on the side, and if he wishes to save his charging system for possible future use, he should remove that fuse before running the engine with no battery connected.
I didn't think about disconnecting the wire from the magneto to the rectifier. I'm assuming that could work without doing any damage. One other thing about having a rectifier only charge system and batteries. There is no control over the charging. I have solar panels to charge my batteries and also use the motor, which is not usually run long, however sometimes if I have to motor for hours I've watched my battery voltage get pretty high. Even though the charging system is only 6 amps max. it will boil your battery. I would look into the above method and talk to an outboard tech about any consequences.
__________________
chp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47   #21
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

Or better still than a motorcycle battery- an airplane battery.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:23   #22
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,737
Re: Outboard Motor Without A Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Or better still than a motorcycle battery- an airplane battery.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That sounds like £££££££££££££

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, motor, outboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising Without a Motor... jbosborn Engines and Propulsion Systems 17 29-07-2015 09:26
Motor boat plus a sail boat equils a Motor sailer? niel12 Multihull Sailboats 11 02-07-2011 13:15
Can I Run Outboard without Water Pump for a Few Minutes ? Joe500 Engines and Propulsion Systems 15 19-09-2010 17:11
Motor or No Motor for Long-Term Cruising? boatyard Pirate Construction, Maintenance & Refit 41 02-08-2009 22:13
What size outboard motor? bob and sharon Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 1 01-05-2008 00:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.