Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
TexSail has probably got it. A small air leak downstream of the carb will cause this problem. It seems you have the carb pretty well covered though it is possible you will need to have the carb put in an ultrasonic cleaner to be sure. I once had a similar problem and nothing I could do with compressed air and solvent could get those really small idle ports clean. I finally took it to the local shop and he put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of hours and that took care of it. Fortunately the local shop is very good and only charged me $75 including reassembly and testing.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08   #17

Boat: grampian 26
Vaccuum in the intake

There is very little vacuum at wide open throttle. Vacuum is greatest when the throttle plate is closed.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 13:21   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post

How would I check for bad reed valves? Can they be cleaned like the ports? Or must they be replaced?
I don't remember. Dimensions and clearance measurements I think.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 13:25   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
Check the gaskets and fasteners on the carburetor and any intake manifolds. I had an old Johnson with exactly the same symptoms of which you speak. There was a bad seal from carburetor to block. At full throttle, the high vacuum would suck the carburetor closer to the block and seal the leak and the motor would run great, but let off the gas and the leak opened up allowing air in leaning out the mixture and necessitating choking the engine to run. Any loose fitting on an intake manifold could cause the same problem.
Dang, I forgot that one.

Gettin' old...........
Old 05-06-2010, 14:09   #20

Check any vacuum lines too. An old line will sometimes develop an air leak which will close at higher RPMS. IMHO, it is instructive that the motor seems to be running lean at low RPMS but OK at full throttle.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 17:03   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Update and THANKS ALL!!! Sat down yesterday and completely dismantled the carb and fuel pump and soaked everything in brake cleaner--NAPA happened to have it on sale for next to nothing so I saved a few bucks--blew compressed air through EVERY port, replaced the float bowl and intake gaskets and then put it all back together. Engine now starts effortlessly without choke and idles smoothly. The whistling sound also seems to have disappeared. My only issue is that, once started, the dinghy seemed to go directly to the Tiki bar on Saturday nite; though it did, several hours later, unerringly return to the big boat which is a puzzle as I have no recollection of driving back! Again, thanks to everybody for helping brainstorm the problem. Now if anyone has any ideas as to how to prevent the dinghy from going to the Tiki bar I would be all ears.
Old 06-06-2010, 19:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Now if anyone has any ideas as to how to prevent the dinghy from going to the Tiki bar I would be all ears.
That one I have never been able to figure out.
Old 06-06-2010, 19:14   #23

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hide wallet on return...Dingy wont remember where

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 20:30   #24

Boat: csy 37
i had an experience similar to 'phillsboat'.

motor would run very roughly if at all, and i couldn't find the problem. sadly, even the local yamaha dealer couldn't fix it for a more than a few minutes. kept telling me stories about ethanol in gasoline and how the problem could take many visits to fix (cost me two visits and two hundred bucks).

then, on a hunch, i rebuilt the fuel pump - about twenty bucks for gaskets/membranes.

end of problem.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 23:55   #25

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
thanks starfish!!

Thanks Starfish!!!

Just lo0gged on to see if I could find my "particular" problem and there you have it... hope the solutions work too

Hope you guys are well... maybe you should get over here and see OUR beaches before BP arrives they are stiil clean!!!

cheers all

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 05:41   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Hi MM, good to hear from you. Let's hope the oil is taken by the ocean currents to the place where it is least destructive.

If you rebuild the carb, put a little something tacky--like some permatex--on the idle jet plug as it has a little pressure on it and needs to stay in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Thanks Starfish!!!

Just lo0gged on to see if I could find my "particular" problem and there you have it... hope the solutions work too

Hope you guys are well... maybe you should get over here and see OUR beaches before BP arrives they are stiil clean!!!

cheers all

mm
Old 28-06-2010, 08:34   #27

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Did you replace the hose from the fuel tank to the engine? Mine wants a new one every year or two.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel starvation, outboard