Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 10:00   #1

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Opinions on dual-action, dual-station throttle/shifting

I have a Beta 60 diesel in a steel sailboat. I have a single lever, dual-action sidemounted throttle/shifter lever on the pilothouse steering helm. It's the kind with a neutral pull button allowing disengagement of the gear cable and "warming up" in neutral.

I also have an aft deck "sailing helm", which, like the pilothouse helm, is hydraulic to a ram in the aft cabin and moves a transom-hung rudder.

I wish to have a second, single-lever, dual-action throttle/shifter at this second, outside helm. Looking at the Seastar Solutions catalogue, it seems I'd need their DS unit (see SeaStar Solutions) to have two pairs of control cables (throttle/shifters 1 and 2, say) to link to single cables that directly control my engine.

Seastar Solutions seems very powerboat oriented. Are there other manufacturers who make what I'm looking for and which dual helm sailboaters might recommend? Thanks.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Opinions on dual-action, dual-station throttle/shifting

Kobelt.com makes a cable/electronic system. Either in the engine room or 1st station, a cable controller is installed. From that up to 4 electronic stations can be added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobelt-electronic.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	168235  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Kobelt.com makes a cable/electronic system. Either in the engine room or 1st station, a cable controller is installed. From that up to 4 electronic stations can be added.

Interesting. I would want, however, purely mechanical linkages. The whole point is to dock and maneuver from the aft deck, which gives a better vantage point, than from inside the pilothouse. Assuming decent weather, of course.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 16-04-2018, 16:09   #4

Hmm. Kobelt has a LOT of options. A lot more than Seastar, and they seem more rugged. Thanks for the mention. http://kobelt.com/docs/default-sourc...l.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Old 17-04-2018, 13:51   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have a Beta 60 diesel in a steel sailboat. I have a single lever, dual-action sidemounted throttle/shifter lever on the pilothouse steering helm. It's the kind with a neutral pull button allowing disengagement of the gear cable and "warming up" in neutral.

I also have an aft deck "sailing helm", which, like the pilothouse helm, is hydraulic to a ram in the aft cabin and moves a transom-hung rudder.

I wish to have a second, single-lever, dual-action throttle/shifter at this second, outside helm. Looking at the Seastar Solutions catalogue, it seems I'd need their DS unit (see SeaStar Solutions) to have two pairs of control cables (throttle/shifters 1 and 2, say) to link to single cables that directly control my engine.

Seastar Solutions seems very powerboat oriented. Are there other manufacturers who make what I'm looking for and which dual helm sailboaters might recommend? Thanks.
Alchemy,

We have the precise set-up you describe on our ketch. [Morse MT-3 single lever dual controls. Here is an article re: adjustment and maintenance.] It works well.

I have not researched replacement options if the hardware we have became unrepairable [and was no longer available...]

One decision you will need to make is whether the dual controls are [in my terms] 'live linked' [i.e., when you move a lever, the other moves as well] or 'lock-out' [if one lever is in use, the other is locked in neutral until the live lever it put into neutral.] Ours is the lock-out version.

And for reference, our dual hydraulic steering stations are independent; meaning one wheel does not move the other, and both wheels are live unless one helm is [optionally] locked-out [bypass lever] from the other. [e.g., We can disable the lower wheel from the upper helm, and visa versa.] This might be useful in the (very) remote case of undiciplined kids (temporarily) onboard or someone grabbing a wheel as a handhold... Or in the case of a hydraulic steering malfunction/leak in one helm...]

The trade-offs of the lock-out single lever dual engine controls include having to "transfer" control when changing helms. This can occasionally be a nuisance when underway and singlehanding- in some conditions. [i.e., To change helms, first you have to put the live control lever into neutral, then relocate to the other helm and move that control lever to re-engange engine. In the meantine you are in neutral for a few seconds, which isn't ideal in some sportier situations...] Sometimes I wish they were live linked. Other times I am grateful they are not. [e.g., Lock-out helps prevent accidental throttle adjustments at the lazy helm.]

Perhaps ideally, lock-out would be an option for live-linked levers. [An unresearched dream...] Give it some thought if you have to choose one or the other.

Also, ours is set-up so both levers must be in neutral for the engine to start. Sometimes this means fussing with one or the other to find that sweet spot in neutra where the starter will engage.

In hopes some of this may be helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 18-04-2018, 11:29   #6

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I installed the sea star system - a challenge but works out ok. Haven’t tried it out in real life but the system works well on the hard.

I looked at Kobelt for hardware early on when I decided to go with hydraulic steering. I was steered by the manufacturer to a “local” dealer who proved to be unresponsive and unreliable. I gave up on them. You may have better luck than I did.

Tags
rot