Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 06:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
opinion on perkins 4-236

We are keen to purchase a sailing boat with an old perkins 4-236 inside more than 20 years old and 'revised'....?

I am told some perkins are good others not at all..........and all leak oil when pushing them

who knows more than I do also when it concerns spare parts availability

Appreciate any input

Eric
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55   #2

Boat: Seapiper 35
Opinion on perkins 4-236

I recently purchased a 31' Cheoy Lee Monterey Clipper Troller with this engine. From what I have been told on other forums these are "workhorse" engines in that they are used in generator, oil field pumps, etc. and are basically bulletproof. That being said, my prior trawler had perkins 6.354's so I am familiar with perkins. The current engine has approx. 1200 hours and is probably about the same age as the one you are considering. It took less than one revolution to fire up, runs smoothe and at wot no overheating or oil pressure problems and most of all no smoke!

Parts are readily available as well. I have dealt in the past with TransAtlantic Diesel in Whitemarsh, VA (tadiesel.com). They have all parts for this engine as well as rebuilt kits, elbows, etc. Sherry in the parts department is great to deal with and incredibly knowledgeable.

Hope this helps,
Paul
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
What Paul said - a 4.236 [i have one as well] is a workhorse engine. Of course have a mechanic go through it cause like anything else of this age it's all about how well it was cared for. If well cared for I would not let it be an issue.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a minor consideration...

...is that the majority of Perkins engines drive a left-hand prop rather than a right-hand prop. If you're accustomed to using prop walk as part of your docking/departure procedures, this may take a bit of getting used to, depending upon how your slip is set up.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33   #5

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
Perkins 4-236

Second all of the above, including TAD diesel and left hand prop walk. It's a Perkins, they do drip a little oil here and there, but it's a real work horse, starts in half a turn, is strong, simple, slow turning, and reliable. Clean fuel, change the oil regularly, impellor on a schedule, and you're good to go for a long time.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30   #6

Perkins 4-236? Best engine ever made. Parts are generally available, even on Ebay! There must have been a million of those engines in forklifts.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
thanks all for giving us the input to follow up this purchase
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 21:54   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Have twins on my boat, excellent workhorse engine. Like the Duracell Energizer Bunny they just keep on going and going and going.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:23   #9

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch
Re: opinion on perkins 4-236

Hello, 4.236 people ! mine is 1977 but neither manual I can find is accurate. Im doing a cooling maintenance. The thermostat is below the header tank and the heat exchanger is on the starboard side of block, there is a single hose fitting on the forward front of the HE and one off the top to the exhaust. There are no "retaining screws" on the forward front but three on the aft. I don't want to break ANYTHING. Doest anyone have access to this elusive book? Thank you
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:04   #10

Boat: None
Re: a minor consideration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...is that the majority of Perkins engines drive a left-hand prop rather than a right-hand prop. If you're accustomed to using prop walk as part of your docking/departure procedures, this may take a bit of getting used to, depending upon how your slip is set up.
The majority of diesel engines have a crank that turns with a left hand rotation. ( CCW when looking at the flywheel )

Propeller rotation is dictated by the transmission design. Some transmissions must turn a LH prop when installed on a Perkins, some transmissions must turn a RH prop when installed on a Perkins, other transmissions can turn either a LH or RH propeller when installed on a Perkins. Propeller rotation is entirely based on the transmission design.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 06:55   #11

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch

Sort of following along here.....so question,, I have a 4.236 w/a Borg Warner velvet drive...Is it CCW OR CW? I just purchased her and curious how she will handle (I know not great) in close quarters under power..
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:06   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Sort of following along here.....so question,, I have a 4.236 w/a Borg Warner velvet drive...Is it CCW OR CW? I just purchased her and curious how she will handle (I know not great) in close quarters under power..
Play with it while tied up securely to the dock! Best way to get a feel for what it will do before you get underway. Mine has the Borg-Warner and when in reverse the prop walk pulls the stern to starboard. I have a pretty big three-bladed prop and there is a fair amount of prop walk, and she stops quickly. Article on prop walk: https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...-use-prop-walk
Old 09-04-2024, 07:49   #13

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
It depends on the ratio of the Velvet Drive.

For any CCW rotation flywheel:

A 72c 1.91:1 will turn a RH prop
A 72c 2.10:1 will turn a LH prop
A 72c 2.57:1 will turn a LH prop
A 72c 2.91:1 will turn a LH prop
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 08:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
Put it in gear tied to the dock, then look at the shaft coupling for rotation.

Or loosen the dock lines a bit, put it in gear and a quick thrust in rpm. You should be able to tell which way it will go when you are in reverse.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote