Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2011, 04:44   #1

One Volvo Pente + One Yanmar in a catamaran?

Is it possible to have two different brands of diesel engines in a catamaran? Why I ask is that one engine needs to be replaced in a catamaran I'm interested in and it's easier to find a diesel if not needed to stick to one brand.

Old 23-10-2011, 05:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: One Volvo Pente + One Yanmar in a catamaran?

Oh dear, I see a few problems.

How are you going to balance the thrust with two different sized engines fitted with different gearbox ratios? different size props perhaps - not good, although you could probably get away with it, what happens when you come to sell. What would a future owner have to say or would they just walk away.

You are also carrying two lots of spares etc, from different sources.

You could spend a lot of money and end up with a disaster.

However, you have a cat. How about one larger engine and two hydraulic drives? that would make space for a genny in the empty hull. You would need to cost it first though.

Pete

Old 23-10-2011, 05:41   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Oh dear, I see a few problems.

How are you going to balance the thrust with two different sized engines fitted with different gearbox ratios? different size props perhaps - not good, although you could probably get away with it, what happens when you come to sell. What would a future owner have to say or would they just walk away.

You are also carrying two lots of spares etc, from different sources.

You could spend a lot of money and end up with a disaster.

However, you have a cat. How about one larger engine and two hydraulic drives? that would make space for a genny in the empty hull. You would need to cost it first though.

Pete
The thrust issue shouldn't be a big issue, as long as props and rpms are given a little consideration. (I suppose an easy way would be to take your hands off the wheel and steer straight using the throttles). I frequently power with just one engine anyway.

But spare parts is an issue, and you really would have an odd duck if you were trying to sell.

How much life remains with the other engine?
Old 23-10-2011, 06:01   #4

Of course I don't see this as the most easy solution - just as an easy budget solution.

An hydralic solution would have been nice but sounds expensive. Maybe better to fit two small outboard engines instead (just to use for navigation in and out the marinas)?
I keep the diesel and use that for longer motoring? (cause it seems most cat owners only run one diesel at the time when motoring).
Old 23-10-2011, 06:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Possible? Certainly. Recommended? Not by me. You will be complicating your life, your inventory and your maintenance.
Old 23-10-2011, 07:29   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Probably the worst idea seen here lately.....TWO different engines will severely impact any resale cost.....plus spares that need to be carried
controls, charging, exhaust systems may be different.

By the time you cobble this together, you will probably find you could have purchased a satisfactory rebuild.

Hanging outboards on the back? A non-starter......more weight, different fuel.
Old 23-10-2011, 08:09   #7

I think I already knew the answer to these questions...but I needed someone to confirm it with that it was a bad idea

So...there is a Volvo 2000 diesel in the boat now. Do I need to find an exactly the same model?
Old 23-10-2011, 08:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Volvo made the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2003Turbo in huge numbers. Spare engines are common place. Which one do you have, the number of cylinders will match the above numbers. Just avoid the 2003 turbo version.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/p...44&Submit.y=14

Pete
Old 23-10-2011, 09:08   #9

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

I will add my 2 bits. From my experience, I see a few possible problems. I have 2 different engines. A 25 year old yanmar and a new one. 90 % of the time I run only the new one. It does an easy lazy 50 to 75 miles a day on very little fuel. I run the old one in marinas or when I need the extra power or more balanced power. My outpilot does most of the worrying about equal thrust or maintaining course.

There were only a few connection corrections needed. So I would first do my best to comfirm what fit problems I might have. Getting the old one out and the new one in: Engine and tranmission mountingDrive shaft and prop mounting, hook up of intruments and controls and fuel adn cooing lines. It only takes a little to custom work to add a lot to the bill. Who is going to do the work. Get bid prices even if you are going to do it yourself. The guys who do this kind of work regualarly will tell you if you have a good or bad idea. I would pay carefull attention to honest bids.

Thrust or spares is not the problem methinks.
Cheers

Tags
catamaran, volvo, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: