Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2011, 13:43   #61

Boat: nothing
Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

...you have a tiller pilot?

how bourgeois...

Old 16-11-2011, 13:43   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

rofl--MY boat dont point----ALL others DO....

Old 16-11-2011, 14:07   #63

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
If the OPs argument is an attempt to make his self comfortable with an anemic aux propulsion system, he should also be good with an undersized anchor. Clawing off a lee shore is normal ops for me. I sail in confined waters all the time and I foul things up, occasionally. Thank the gods for a shoal keel and a 44HP Yanmar! Going aground sucks. Getting pulled off by a powerboat is just downright embarrassing!
Old 16-11-2011, 14:18   #64

Happened to me when I was caught out by a southerly buster off North Head in Sydney Harbour.
The old 20hp Yanmar saved the day.
I am interested in electric motors too, but at the moment I consider they are only good for powering in and out of a marina.
Old 16-11-2011, 14:26   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
...you have a tiller pilot?

how bourgeois...
That is really low. Some of my best friends have tiller pilots.
Old 16-11-2011, 14:27   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cap dana--- do you have enough anchors and line for kedging self off?/ that makes it a lot less embarrassing--especially in darkness when no one can see ye.....

Old 16-11-2011, 14:35   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
Look - I'm just curious:

What percentage of sailors have ever been caught on a lee shore in a storm so severe that thier storm sails (you do have those and know how to use them right?) and ground tackle (You do carry an oversize storm anchor with at least 400 feet of rode so you can set and hold the hook in deep water, and you know how to use it, right?) that the only thing that saved your boat was motorsailing?

Not ever caught on a lee shore but the couple of times I have tried to use the motor (13hp on a 8-9 ton boat) in a blow it was pretty much ineffectual.

I do have an oversized (Canadian) Rocna, a 70lb fisherman, a 35lb CQR, a 30lb Danforth, a drogue, spare rodes and about 1,200 feet of suitable rope.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:08   #68

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

So in the final exam of truck driving school, the examiner asks Leon what he would do if he were hurtling down the mountain, and first the brakes fail, and then the engine break won't engage, and then he misses the escape turnoff, and finally he sees a mile-long train full of steel I beams straight ahead, across the road.
"Why I'd wake Leroy," Leon says.
"You'd wake Leroy? Whyever for?" the examiner asks.
"Well, Leroy ain't never seen a real bad accident," Leon says.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:24   #69

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys,

"A good engine OB or IB is a definite asset... especially playing in places like Brittany or the Galician coast.. or any other strong tidal and/or rocky coastline.
Must confess tho'... I too was once a purist..." --Boatman 61

I agree with that, but would like to add about those purist times that then was when we learned the confidence in our skills and our boat that made us feel confident to sail her off the hook with the mud bank just there, and to port, a reef, and to starboard another reef, we had to short-tack Insatiable I out of Baie Boise in New Caledonia in 20-25 tradewinds. The water was flat, and it was not hard, though a mite nerve wracking at the time. The reason it was necessary was that an oil line had chafed through, all the oil was in the bilge, and we had to go back to town (Noumea) to correct the situation. The decision was the most reasonable way to handle the situation.

The "purist" times really were our "sail training". We practiced a lot. Life is full of surprises, and practising heaving to and other foul weather tactics, and sailing off the hook are part of the preparations that lead to a satisfying life afloat in a sailboat, IMO.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, Lake Macquarie Australia
Old 16-11-2011, 16:32   #70

Boat: Celestial 48

In my previous Dana 24 I had the opportunity to move anchorage due to increasing on-shore wind. As it was only a short ways upwind to the new anchorage, I thought I would save time by just motoring on up there. Found soon that with headwind and seas the prop just cavatated and I was going nowhere. This was with small inboard Yanmar and 3-blade prop.

Shut engine down, hoisted double reefed main and staysail and proceeded to beat on up wind to my goal. Took considerable time, but got to where I needed to go.

Learn'd me not to rely on my engine to claw off of anything in a blow.

I think my current boat is much more capable under power, but have not found its limit in this regard.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:55   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan

...Sigh...and so it begins....

I'd read the same crap before buying the boat - then in October of 2009, I was caught out in a sudden Northeast gale that had peak gusts of 50knots - 3 miles inland.
I absolutely hate getting caught 3 miles inland in a gale. The wheels on my boat are just too small to ride out the speed bumps at the piggly-wiggly.

Reminds me of the time I was sailng in Asia and was nailed by a tsunami. The wave height lifted me so high I was caught in the Jetstream which was really low due because it was the time of year the jetstream dips low (it was summer - or winter) I was immediately caught in a 180kt wind due to no fault of my own because the weather forecaster was asleep at the wheel and the 12.6 earthquake was ignored because no one knew the relationship between earthquakes and tsunamis at the time - i think it was 1959 or 1995. Of course when the jetstream dips like that you have to be a superior seaman just to survive and so with me here typing on this iPad you can tell I am just such a superior sailor.

The boat did a 360 roll before I could do anything and of course the main and my 200 percent genny were blown out. I didnt worry however because I had a roll of extra strong, extra absorbent Brawny paper towels. These are my storm sails of choice because in a knockdown Brawny is the quicker picker upper. And they are super absorbent. Did I mention the spar was gone too? No problem cuz I whittled one out of a passing tree trunk and raised it with duct tape and packing twine.

I spent 14 days in the jetstream clawing off a lee shore but its no problem because I have trained myself to never need sleep like a sailor is supposed to. Of course I had my crew on board but they were more trouble than help so I sealed them in their bunks and lashed their lee cloths down hard so they wouldn't be in the way.

Some people asked me if I considered using the 1200 hp engine to get off the shore but every one knows that would be cheating and unseamanlike. I'd rather be dead than admit later I used the auxilliary.

(not aimed at anyone in particular, especially Hoagie but there seems to be a huge frequency of 60-80 knot unforecast wind out there lately. I reckon it must be due global warming.)
Old 16-11-2011, 17:10   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

baja always has wind, i was warned--i found only in places you donot expect it.
chubascos are not predictable and occur in mexico. may is windy season there-- did you know that? i did. i still do. is why i was reefed and off shore. may 13, i believe was when i hit cabo for fuel and at the fuel station i was advised what the wind speed was just north of them. wicked. concurred with my anemometer--i was surprised. was alo surprised by the speed and handling of my formosa thru it. favorably.

normal lightning storms in spring off fla pack 60-70 kt winds . noaa doesnt have that one down yet either---they were able to predict an extreme front in 2010 a lil under the actual wind speed predicted,as i recall. was spozed to get to 80-100 mph. we ran to st andrews bay. i was only out in that until it hit 45kts. 2325, april 21, 2010. port st joe.

being caught inland is would really be a problem. i draw 6'6---wouldnt be much comfort in it, and woulda been a miracle to get there. or nightjmare.
Old 16-11-2011, 17:26   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;819709]I absolutely hate getting caught 3 miles inland in a gale. The wheels on my boat are just too small to ride out the speed bumps at the piggly-wiggly.

Reminds me of the time I was sailng in Asia and was nailed by a tsunami. The wave height lifted me so high I was caught in the Jetstream which was really low due because it was the time of year the jetstream dips low (it was summer - or winter) I was immediately caught in a 180kt wind due to no fault of my own because the weather forecaster was asleep at the wheel and the 12.6 earthquake was ignored because no one knew the relationship between earthquakes and tsunamis at the time - i think it was 1959 or 1995. Of course when the jetstream dips like that you have to be a superior seaman just to survive and so with me here typing on this iPad you can tell I am just such a superior sailor.

The boat did a 360 roll before I could do anything and of course the main and my 200 percent genny were blown out. I didnt worry however because I had a roll of extra strong, extra absorbent Brawny paper towels. These are my storm sails of choice because in a knockdown Brawny is the quicker picker upper. And they are super absorbent. Did I mention the spar was gone too? No problem cuz I whittled one out of a passing tree trunk and raised it with duct tape and packing twine.

I spent 14 days in the jetstream clawing off a lee shore but its no problem because I have trained myself to never need sleep like a sailor is supposed to. Of course I had my crew on board but they were more trouble than help so I sealed them in their bunks and lashed their lee cloths down hard so they wouldn't be in the way.

Some people asked me if I considered using the 1200 hp engine to get off the shore but every one knows that would be cheating and unseamanlike. I'd rather be dead than admit later I used the auxilliary.

(not aimed at anyone in particular, especially Hoagie but there seems to be a huge frequency of 60-80 knot unforecast wind out there lately. I reckon it must be due global warming.) UNQUOTE

Come onnn!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
Old 16-11-2011, 18:00   #74

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
That is really low. Some of my best friends have tiller pilots.
I'm just saying, a purist would have hand steered and trimmed the mainsheet with his teeth.
Old 16-11-2011, 18:05   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

"I was caught out in a sudden Northeast gale that had peak gusts of 50knots - 3 miles inland."

I think he meant that the wind speed of 50 knts was recorded 3 miles inland, not that his boat was 3 miles inland!

I also think there is a safety advantage to be had in having a large engine with large tankage. It allows you to motor out of the way of bad weather at hull speed, aside from any "lee shore" issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: