Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2011, 11:49   #421

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hogan give us a break and F off will yea.

Dave
Hogan may have a penchant for hyperbole and verbosity, but read between the lines. His rather droll manner of describing things perhaps may be grinding on some, and intellectually challenging for others, but regardless, they are validly held opinions.

They are at least as valid as those who swear by Chinese made Rocna anchors, doncha think?

Disagree if you want, but please, let's do it with some respect. Or don't read his posts. I believe there is an "ignore" button somewhere, as I am pretty sure I have used it on one or two in the past.

Old 13-12-2011, 12:25   #422

Boat: contessa 32

Can a thread turn in a black hole? I'm being pulled round and round while sinking deeper(without any discounts) .I have (had) a life really!!!

Is it too late to escape this awful thread?

I want my life back but I fear its too late.

It's soo dark now that I cannot see

Higgs bosons everywhere!

Wait ,thers a light...it looks like...it looks like...no it can't be true...

I'm being sucked into a............

LEE SHORE !!!!

Old 13-12-2011, 12:43   #423
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3

Hogan may have a penchant for hyperbole and verbosity, but read between the lines. His rather droll manner of describing things perhaps may be grinding on some, and intellectually challenging for others, but regardless, they are validly held opinions.

They are at least as valid as those who swear by Chinese made Rocna anchors, doncha think?

Disagree if you want, but please, let's do it with some respect. Or don't read his posts. I believe there is an "ignore" button somewhere, as I am pretty sure I have used it on one or two in the past.
For the life of me I can't understand this. I've seen good threads on guns pulled for far less nonsense then was spouted here. Yet this thread is now somewhere near Pluto

Dave
Old 13-12-2011, 12:59   #424

Boat: PSC Flicka 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3
Penchant?

I think its a "talent"... and yea, I havent told any haters to "F off" because, well, "Fing off" is one of the greatest joys in my life, and I've always thought telling someone to do so was a strange way to insult them.

Ok, since this thread has veered and backed all around the compass rose, I'm going to throw this little gem out there for anyone reading this who thinks they are "burdened" by a child who has special needs.

Its hard to imagine any condition more horrific than what this family had to deal with:

"So my parents were told to grieve on the day that they were supposed to be celebrating. They were told to grieve for one of two things: either the loss of their baby or the loss of a normal baby, because they weren’t going to have a normal baby. They told them at birth I had a rare condition that, if I even got to live, my bones would fracture for little or no apparent reason and I would be stunted in growth and be of short stature my entire life, if I even got to live. So, that’s a lot to put on a human being, especially when they’re supposed to be celebrating and so my parents made a decision at a very critical period of their life: that this condition was not going to consume my life, it was not going to take me out of this world and if there was anything they could do to expose me to the world in a positive, uplifting, human manner they would. And they have!"

That's a quote from an amazing human being that I had the good fortune and honor to meet a while back.

His name is Sean Stephenson, and he was born with a rare bone disorder called "osteogenisis imperfecta" or "brittle bone disease".

Sean is in a wheelchair because he suffered over 200 bone fractures before he was 18. He is 3 feet tall. He was not expected to survive his childhood - which was unimaginably painful due to his disease.

Sean:

"Yeah, so kids dress up. And there was only one thing I really wanted in life more than anything as a child was to be able to blend in and be normal and just like everybody else, which is the opposite of what most kids want. They want to stand out and be different. So there was one day of the year that I got to do that, and that was Halloween. All the kids got dressed up and nobody stared at me. So I loved Halloween. I was in my costume, and I was rolling around in the living room. I caught my left leg on the corner of the door. I bent it back and snapped the femur bone, the large thigh bone.

I knew I had four to six weeks to heal. I wouldn’t be able to go to school and show my costume off, eat the candy, be with my friends, be at the party, trick or treat, or do all of those fun things that I look forward to every year. And I was so angry I started screaming out, ‘Why me? What did I ever do to deserve this?’

My mom came running into the room, and she knelt down beside me, And she ran her fingers through my hair to calm me down. We would play this little game every time I would break a bone, It was ‘What was your favorite part about our last vacation?’ ( to take his mind off the pain) Except, that day I was so angry I didn’t want to play any more games.

My mom saw that in my eyes. So, she formulated a question, that changed the course of my life. She said,

‘Sean is this going to be a gift or a burden in your life?’

"And, before I could tell her she was crazy, something magical happened, something mystical, something that I can’t explain with science. It was like this warm wind of wisdom just surrounded my body and I got clarity in fourth grade for the purpose to my life. The purpose to my life that I realized so young, at the tender age of 10-years-old or 11, whatever you are when you’re in fourth grade, is that everybody goes through pain. Everybody fractures. Just not with their bones. And I seemed to love my life amidst the fractures. God put me in this package to be fragile on the outside with the skeletal system so that I could help those that were fragile on the inside in their spirit. And, my purpose was to teach others how to love their life amidst their pain."

And Sean has gone on to overcome the unimaginable barriers his condition brought.

He lives a life of travel, adventure, and service to humanity.

He served in the Clinton Whitehouse, works as a motivational speaker and psychotherapist. He has written 4 books, done stand-up comedy, and is a world class ladies man, with a very full and vibrant social life. He hangs out with guys like Richard Branson and Anthony Robbins - guys who look up to him, even though he's just 3 feet tall.

A 3 foot tall giant.

So - how do you view the adversity in your life?

Do you really think you have it harder than Sean?

If you have a child, do you love, support, spend time with, and encourage them, or do you farm that stuff out to therapists, nannies, and schools because you have more important things to do?

Do you see yourself as a victim crushed by cruel circumstance or a hero who triumphs against all odds?

Either way, you're right.
Old 13-12-2011, 13:02   #425
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hogan , this is trolling to an extreme, it is an abuse of this forum.
Old 13-12-2011, 15:11   #426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Do you guys still think Anarchy is charming? At first I thought he was just the Village idiot, but H has more substance than that. He has offended and will continue to offend any way he can.

And no H, I will not STFU. This is as much my group as it is yours. I will be in your face as long as you cast your vile and repulsive dung on my home.
Old 13-12-2011, 16:17   #427
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

What little information in this thread offering useful information about cruising and sailing a boat in rough conditions is completely overshadowed for me by the OP's blatant attitude of self-aggrandizement, unsavory or obscene references, and unrelenting antagonism toward everyone who posts in it. He talks of "haters", but he's the only one spewing hate.

His intent was detected by some after his second post, and completely obvious to all by his third. He threw out the bait and it was taken by a few members. He's here for his own entertainment, nothing else. He's a troll, plain and simple. That's even more obvious if you take a look at his Facebook page, and blog, though beware, you may wish you hadn't. I truly wish I hadn't. They're disgusting.

Hogan, have you heard of Sailing Anarchy? I think you'd fit in very well over there, much better than here. Please go away.
Old 13-12-2011, 16:48   #428

Boat: PSC Flicka 20

"If thy eye offends thee, pluck it out"

- Shakespeare

I didn't just say "STFU"

I said "Post your gale sailing videos or STFU about what a wuss Hogan is"

It was a challenge, not an attempt at censorship.

Some of the people reading my posts seem to have difficulty differentiating between having thier unthinking assumptions challenged via satire and trolling.

Satire is the use of absurdity to expose or illustrate an underlying logical fallacy - you know, like that a powerful inboard diesel is a sailor's only hope against a lee shore in a gale.

Like the layered linguistic paralellism I used to equate Jenny McCarthy and Oprah's level of autism expertise to that of 3rd world hookers, while subtly implying that such hookers are actually morally superior to them, then linking the myth that vaccines cause Autism that they promote back to my initial post about the myth of the lee shore.

Johnathan Swift is a troll by your defintion for writing his "Modest Proposal" In which he quite logically proposed that the solution to the Irish Potato Famine was to feed the Irish thier own children.

If you don't like my posts or my writing, don't read them.

If you take exception to thier content, refute it with evidence and logic.

I have not personally attacked you - I've challenged your beliefs.

If you are offended by such challenges you will never learn anything.

Join a yacht club if you want polite non-threatening intercourse with people who hold the same opinions as yourself.

This is a discussion forum, and it's purpose is to share knowlege. It's democratic, and democracy is messy.

And Anarchy?

Anyone who thinks I'm an Anarchist hasn't read my blog posts on The American Libertarian / tea party movement.

I'm a public Employee (until Wednesday). I belong to a union, and I think people should pay thier taxes and be thankful for the civilization they enable.

I'm glad we have the rule of law, a strong military, and a kick-ass coast gaurd that will rescue blind American idiots when they get in trouble, and I'm glad the US navy patrols off the horn of Africa, and arrested the pirates that murdered a couple of my nieghbors off Somalia last year.

Anarchy....sheesh!
Old 13-12-2011, 16:58   #429
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

How quickly you hide behind the shadows of innocence H...
I still think you would be happier at Sailing Anarchy.
Old 13-12-2011, 16:59   #430

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
"If thy eye offends thee, pluck it out"
Thought that was a Biblical quotation.
Old 13-12-2011, 17:07   #431
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

hard to post gale sailing videos when you are actively sailing-- one becomes kinda busy when sailing in big winds .... but, next time i get into 60+kt winds with my heavy cruiser, i will TRY to remember to picture some.
as for the blog and fb sites--i didnt find the fb site, but the blog didnt impress me ---
Old 13-12-2011, 17:35   #432
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hogan, can I ask you this what's your purpose here on CF, this is a generally serious forum mostly devoid of grandstanding and trolling. What do you hope to prove.

Dave
Old 13-12-2011, 17:38   #433
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Enough... this ship is so far out of the channel, there is no salvage!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: