Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08   #331
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

I used to teach my scuba students that they should never dive a beach where surfers were surfing. Maybe the same rule should apply to sailboats: never transiting a bar that's being actively surfed.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24   #332
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

anyone who thinks bad storms do not happen on pacific coast has NOT EVER SAILED it... come out and see what a good pnw storm does to the pacific ocean. they happen every 3-5 days in winter.. and then wait out NAMED STORM season in a west coast area--lol-- you WILL learn FAST.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28   #333

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

A gale is what you claw off a lee shore in.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32   #334

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Nah, it's what ya put one reef in for and change from the 150 to the Number one for. Good sailing then...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44   #335

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

none of us are getting off of this thread as much as hogan,
the penis and balls coments says it all.

unsuscribed.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53   #336
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
none of us are getting off of this thread as much as hogan,
the penis and balls coments says it all.

unsuscribed.
yes, it would be nice if registered users could discuss cruising without having to chronicle their sexual exploits, or the diseases that have resulted thereof.

Sometimes it takes a while for new users to understand that this forum has its own standards, and that conversations that take place on less developed forums are not appreciated here.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08   #337

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Did he write that? Hell, I don't know. I quit reading his posts six pages ago...
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04   #338

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nah, it's what ya put one reef in for and change from the 150 to the Number one for. Good sailing then...
It totally depends on your point of sail. Downwind-ish at even 40 -- 45 knots is a pure pleasure on my boat. Surfing the big waves, and just flying along under a little bit of headsail alone. I posted a video of that scenario. Like that, last year, we did 65 miles before lunch one day, averaging over 10 knots over ground and having an absolute blast. But even 30 knots can be a pure terror, even in a very seaworthy boat, if for some reason you need to be making miles upwind.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08   #339
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i LOVE wind in my formosa's sails-- makes her MOVE..... we had 60 kts north of cabo san lucas and we were in heaven... boat and sailorsx2 and cat---- anything under 15 kts is a light and flukey breeze....not sailable for my boat...

sea gods made down hill for a reason.....
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25   #340

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
who never encountered sustained winds (at sea) in excess of 35 knots - and they set off back in the mid 1990ies, before there was an internet, lol.
If you are expecting to go long distance cruising without sustaining more than 35K you are deluding yourself.
Make sure your boat and systems can handle much more, and stay safe.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:39   #341
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
never transiting a bar that's being actively surfed.
+1
Old 09-12-2011, 13:07   #342

Boat: PSC Flicka 20
Regarding the Flicka that was in trouble off San Diego:

I have posted elesewhere (My blog) a diatribe about how a good old boat is developing a bad reputation because of all the crazy record setting solo nut jobs it attracts due to its relatively low cost and bluewater scantlings:

http://wfhogan.tumblr.com/post/12653569444/hubris

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Its a small boat, and it has limits - though its limits are not neccesarily what conventional wisdom says they are.

They are weatherly boats - IF sailed correctly.

They have an absolutely amazing amount of living and stowage space that is seamanlike and well thought out.

They have an exceptionally strong mast and rigging. I climbed mine yesterday for the first time, and the difference between it and the mast and rigging of a Catalina 22 I recently acsended....is stunning - and a Catalina 22 is a "bigger" boat.

For example - All my shrouds attachment points are through-bolted - I mean right through the damned mast with a bolt the size of my middle finger, which is big, because it gets a lot of exercise in LA traffic.

Flicka's are relatively dry boats - I've sailed a Contessa 26 in gale force conditions, and that boat, while quite stable, was WET.

Now on the otherhand....

I've had commercial fishermen get seasick aboard Nomad - one guy who worked for years up in Oregon, who claimed to "never get seasick" - Yea right....I make sure these folks sit to leward, and I stay close to the harbor for when they start puking thier guts up and begging for mercy - in 10 to 15 knots with a short, steep chop, especially reaching, Niel Armstrong himself will feed the dolphins without medication.

I "never got seasick" either - until I bought Nomad that is.

It takes me several days to fully adapt, but I'm fortunate: after 48 hours or so of sailing and rolly anchorages, I'm more or less immune to seasickness, and can stop medicating myself - Cholorpenirimine works best for me BTW.

The boat is forgiving of big mistakes, but it punishes small ones - as Ive already pointed out, you cant really sail her safely on a run in much above 20 knots with the main up - though I did develop a rig for broad reaching and controlled gybing that combines a simple figure 8 friction brake with the boomvang to make gybing much, much safer, easier, and frankly, its a hell of a lot of fun to slalom, zigzag, and do cut-backs across Santa Monica Bay aboard a giant surfboard:

http://youtu.be/GWJRfLGwex8

I used to surf, remember?

But in LA the water is cold and filthy and crowded with agro punks who get in fist fights and vandalize your car if you arent a "local".

The worst injuries Ive ever sustained were from surfing - not 10 years of skiing, or 5 years of autoracing. Not skateboarding in empty swimming pools as a kid, and not bicycle commuting. Not motorcycle commuting either.

SURFING - multiple head injuries, cuts, and dislocated joints and such. But I'm comfortable swimming in rough water, rip currents, and big breaking waves because of it.

Then I kept getting sick from the poisonous water around here - and that's what tore it - so I quit surfing here, and bought a boat so I can go somewhere with good surf, warm, clean water, and freindly locals.

Therefore, I'll be skipping Hawaii.

The rig cost me less than $20 and I cant understand why ALL sailboats dont come rigged with something along these lines to control the most dangerous thing on the damed boat - wait - yes I do - its because most sailors spend too much time worring about how big an engine they need to stay off of a lee shore, and too little about a much, much, much bigger threat to thier safety, the BOOM.

So the old blind guy didnt respect the elements, and he didnt understand how to sail his boat.

Then stuff started going wrong, and he panicked, declared an "Emergency" via sat-phone to a freind, who called the USCG. The geezer must have given his buddy his position too, because the USCG had no trouble finding him, and in the photo of the rescue I saw, his boat looks to be foundering - though its hard to know from a still photo, I've stowed at least 2000 lbs of additional gear, equipment, and a black leather sex-swing in my boat, and she's still on her lines.

and now Pops wants to sue the USCG!

Look at the how he stowed his mainsail after he broke his boom - it says everything about his seamanship:

http://web.signonsandiego.com/news/2...from-sailboat/

Now look at how Satori's skipper furlled his main:

http://nelie.hocking.edu/~geckler_e/SATORI/satori.jpg

Seamanlike.

Note also the way his working jib is gasketed off to the upperlifeline, and left hanked on - So its off the deck, and he can easily hoist it when he strikes the storm jib.

Again, seamanlike.

And the article says the Flicka's (blind, solo, elderly) skipper had "30 years of sailing experience"

Really?

Well, what kind of experience?

Where are his log-books?

What types of boats?

What conditions?

It was the same with the Sunderlands - "These kids are experienced sailors" - and no one demands proof in the form of log books?

WTF?

Just how "experienced" can a 14 year old sailor be?

And assuming they were experienced, so what?

The real questions are

"How skilled are you?

"Do you have good judgement, especially under pressure?"

"Are you physically able to handle your boat alone, for weeks at a time, in offshore conditions?"

"Do you understand ALL of your boat's critical systems and how to repair or work around them when they fail?" (and they WILL fail, and at the worst possible time)

"Do you understand the prevailing weather and sea conditions along your proposed route, and how to deal effectively with them?"

"Are you properly equipped and provisioned for your proposed itenerary?"

"do you know how to pilot and navigate, with both electronic and traditional methods, and do you practice both consistently?"

"Do you keep a detailed log so you can track things like maintence, breakdowns, navigation data, and weather conditions, including sail combinations and other important performance and safety data?"

....and most importantly:

"Have you sailed the vessel you intend to take offshore extensively - inshore- with all of its critical systems in place, and gradually built experience with it in a variety of conditions, so you know how it will perform, and what it and your limitations are?"

I'm still waiting for Oprah or Bryant Gumball to ask such questions when interviewing the glory seekers.

Read my rant, follow the links documenting Flicka foolishness and lack of preparation and seamanship, and realize that the size of your engine or boat are the least important thing regarding keeping you "off of a lee shore".

Perhaps when my sabatical is over I'll write a book:

"Seaworthiness - The (foregotten) Bonehead Factor"

=)
Old 09-12-2011, 13:50   #343

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Hogan,

Your best post sofar.
Old 09-12-2011, 16:44   #344
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

How about it?

Edit: if the owner reads this: I have free full resolution photo for you
cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-12-2011, 16:51   #345
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

How about it?

cheers,
Nick.
Pretty enuf to take a second look,,,,

Born To Be Wild
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: