Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 13:53   #316
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

Keep reading Hogan... your getting the idea mate...
By the way... biggest wave ever surfed...!!
if that 90ftr had rolled you... you'd be toast.. I know that bit of coast...

Born To Be Wild
Old 08-12-2011, 15:17   #317

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

Dunno, I'm losing interest in this thread now. It was all good clean fun and pretty dang entertaining until the reverse/minimalist elitism tone took over.

This isn't "sailing purist forum", "full keel sailing forum" "traveling in a tank with sails forum" or even "sailing forum". It's about cruising, where some people sail, some motor, some have have one hull, and some have two. But most understand 1) there is more than one way to skin the cat, and 2) your way ain't the right way for everyone!

Oh well, let me know when the light-hearted BS and talk of liberations and libations starts flying again and I'll be back into it.

Old 08-12-2011, 16:22   #318
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

found the ultimate anchor for the storms in this anchorage on this lee shore.... set your chain and cqr in a sunken boat.. ye wont go anywhere in a 30 kt wind...LOL....must use 150 ft chain.....
Old 08-12-2011, 18:33   #319

If you migrate north during the summer and hurricane season, and south during the winter (trying to avoid bad weather), how often do big storms come up? Once a month? Twice a month? A few times a year?
Old 08-12-2011, 21:51   #320

Boat: PSC Flicka 20

Hey Sundevil -

Really bad storms are non-existent if you pick the proper routes, proper seasons and proper latitudes. Guide books are available for all popular cruising destinations, and websites like this fill in any gaps.

Weather forecasting has made a quantum leap in the past 20 years - they are almost always accurate out to week, and sometimes more.

In addition, wave and swell forecasting, once non-existent, has become precise, with exact timing, size and directions forecast again, a week or more in advance.

Then there is the quantum leap in navigation - your i-phone is a more sophisticated navigation device than the Loran of old, and it puts RDF and celestial navigation to shame in regards to precision.

So much so, that a prudent mariner need never get caught in a storm, if he's, well, PRUDENT!

I offer as evidence, the 7 year circumnavigation voyage of the Pane family, who never encountered sustained winds (at sea) in excess of 35 knots - and they set off back in the mid 1990ies, before there was an internet, lol.

Now they were careful, and took their sweet time, choosing their weather windows and seasons with precision. They motored a lot also, something I'm loathe to do, and they were sailing a relatively large boat, a Mason 53.

Then again, here is a relatively large boat too - 60 feet - but because it was skippered by an idiot, many lives were put in danger, including that of an infant:

Perfect Storm Rescues: Infant Saved at Sea - YouTube

But hey! It had a BIG RELIABLE DIESEL ENGINE!

It was in a BIG BOAT and therefore SAFE!

Oh, and I almost forgot:

It had way too much sail up for the conditions.

Really?

Force 10 and you've got a huge mainsail with an enormous roach up - and that's all - with a single reef in it?

Are you retarded or something?

This footage proves conclusively that don't need to be smart to be wealthy.

Why did you cast off?

Where are your storm sails - back at the dock ?

Why did you declare an emergency and hail Mayday from a sound vessel?

You lost your boat, and you put your wife and children in even greater danger - having them all jump off your yacht into the sea.

Heck, maybe it was the "Master's" fault - Maybe you didn't have the time to learn how to sail your ship yourself, so you hired a "Master" to do it for you.

He turned out to be an idiot you say?

The footage of that young lady clinging to her infant in the rescue basket makes me want to scream.

For the love of god.....If you are going to head offshore (I'm not, at least not yet) learn how to sail, no matter the size of your boat or your engine.

Old 08-12-2011, 21:52   #321

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
All of this sounds like grizzled vets trying to explain to the new recruit what battle is like. Hogan come sail up to Washington in next three months. Upon rounding Cape Flattery I will hold a big party and everyone will listen how your Flicka handled gale force winds and moderate (20 ft) waves. I will even throw in 100 $ if you do it on your own.
You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
I didn't think so.

I remember having BS called on my sailing stories but then again, I go sailing in gales ON PURPOSE up here. After ya get caught out in a Force 12, an itsy bitsy Gale ain't much of nothin'.
Old 08-12-2011, 22:46   #322
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

That video was painful to watch. But after watching it I noticed this, which I will now post here since we're so off topic, if there ever really was one other than hijinks and hilarity. NZ bar crossing from hell-

Good thing they had strong reliable diesels for this river bar crossing, or they'd have been screwed! Obviously you wouldn't do this in a sailboat if you could at all avoid it, but there it is...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:45   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
Hey Sundevil -

Really bad storms are non-existent if you pick the proper routes, proper seasons and proper latitudes.

(...)
Wishful thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,
b.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53   #324
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale !

Gonna have to move Stateside... they still cock-up over this side...
Quite often... but then... if your not out there...
You never know....
If a giant redwood falls and there's no one there... does it make a noise...

Born To Be Wild
Old 09-12-2011, 05:57   #325
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
That video was painful to watch. But after watching it I noticed this, which I will now post here since we're so off topic, if there ever really was one other than hijinks and hilarity. NZ bar crossing from hell-

Good thing they had strong reliable diesels for this river bar crossing, or they'd have been screwed! Obviously you wouldn't do this in a sailboat if you could at all avoid it, but there it is...
Here is a sailboat in the surf:

And here a cat:

Sailboats do these crossings with much less effort than the small fishing boats.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41   #326

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

That and worse is what ya get entering the harbors around here if you get caught out when the weather comes up. Better to head offshore and survive it then try to cross the bars around here.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45   #327
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
That and worse is what ya get entering the harbors around here if you get caught out when the weather comes up. Better to head offshore and survive it then try to cross the bars around here.

Couldn't agree more, having crossed a lot of bars around here. Just thought it was an interesting point given the argument at hand. Would anyone here try to sail through these conditions instead of relying on a powerful diesel? I doubt it. Yet these fishermen do it all the time, I like in this clip how they keep popping out on deck to chat with each other. Crazy! Had to post that, I've seen much bigger waves on the Columbia bar, but that was just such a washing machine, never seen anything quite like it. I was entertained that most commenters on youtube thought it was a faked clip with toy boats! The other two clips aren't even close to these conditions. If that cat tried to do what those fishermen did he'd end up dead....
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49   #328
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I was entertained that most commenters on youtube thought it was a faked clip with toy boats! The other two clips aren't even close to these conditions. If that cat tried to do what those fishermen did he'd end up dead....
Yes but those kids are just trolling with their comments. I can't believe they are that stupid

Or the cat might have surfed a single wave all through the surf like it did on that clip I linked.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55   #329

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Ahoy Hogan,
I saw your posting elsewhere about the Flicka off Baja that the Coast Guard forcibly removed the blind skipper after some storm damage. The accompaning CG picture shows the boat down by the stern. Sea state doesn't look too bad, yet the CG report said it was too severe to allow them to go back to the abandoned boat. What do you think about all that? You are probably correct about your post that the skipper wasn't very smart to head off with a gale forecast.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02   #330
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
You are probably correct about your post that the skipper wasn't very smart to head off with a gale forecast.
That would be admitting that the Flicka isn't blue water capable because sailing through gales is about the easiest requirement to meet for that. Ships used to wait for a good fresh gale for leaving port, what is this talk about not sailing through gales?! That bring the question what is meant with the qualification of "gale" here?!

cheers,
Nick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: