I'm not sure if your query is for real... perhaps a troll, perhaps genuine... who can tell?
But if it is for real, and you really want anecdotal evidence, here goes:
Our previous boat was a retired IOR one-tonner, 36'OAL, circa 20,000 lbs disp in cruising trim, and had a 35 HP BMW auxiliary coupled to a two blade folding prop.
We were anchored in Denham Bay on Raoul Island (Kermadec group) during cyclone Lisa in May of '91. This anchorage was a WEATHER
shore at the time. During the early stages of that storm a neighboring yacht broke her chain rode
and was blown out to sea. This boat was a 72 foot ferrocement Brigantine, powered by a GMC 6-71 (IIRC) and she was unable to make headway into the circa 60 knot
winds. Her skipper
announced that he was going to try to beach her on a headland just outside the bay. His handheld VHF
soon became inoperable and we lost
I doubted his ability to accomplish this and was concerned for both him and his volunteer crew (one person). After some consultation with both the NZ met crew on the island and the RNZ navy
vessel Southland (about 100 miles away and headed in our direction on a re-provisioning mission for the met station), we weighed anchor and set out to find them and perhaps take them on board.
After an hours unsuccessful search in 60+ knot
winds, but in relatively protected waters in the lee of the island, we attempted to return to the anchorage which was about dead to windward. We found that we could not make headway directly into the wind
. Considered setting sail, but found that if we "tacked" under power, never going closer than about 50-60 degrees apparent, we made slow progress and eventually re-anchored.
So, in this case we were not trying to "claw off a LEE shore", but rather claw
onto a weather
shore. But later, the eye of the storm passed over us, and it did become a lee shore. The wind
was about the same strength, but the seas built rapidly and we had to get out quickly. Once we got the anchor (275 feet of chain in 40 feet of depth
, manual windlass
... very hard work on a wildly pitching foredeck) we again found that we couldn't make way to windward. In this case we set the storm jib
and motorsailed, again making a few tacks to leave the bay. The engine, besides adding to the speed, gave us the power to get the bow through the wind whilst tacking.
we hove to and waited for the rapidly moving storm to pass on its way. By morning it had calmed enough to set sail for Tonga
. I am quite sure that if we had not had the engine we would never have escaped to sea, and if the anchor had not held, the boat would have been lost. So, Hogan, there is one case of anecdotal evidence for you.
Incidentally, the brigantine's crew was found the next morning by a helicopter launched from the Southland. They had indeed driven the boat ashore as planned, and escaped onto the cliff-lined shore where they spent a very uncomfortable night. The ferro
hulled boat had broken up rapidly and was not visible to the helo crew (nor to us whilst searching).