Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 13:22   #1

Older Honda outboard CDI units?

Hey All,

been having a great season until this last weekend when my 83 honda 7.5 hp outboard just cut working on my motoring back into the marina.

The engine has been diagnosed with a bad CDI / Switch box. however looking through any of the marine parts supply lines CDI's are just not available for these older engines.

I'm searching the web now looking for used ones that might function however I figured id ask here as well if any type of universal or aftermarket CDI units exist for the older Honda low hp engines Mine was an 83, 7.5hp I believe the model is BF75DLA

The motor has ran great this season so I'm clearly a little bummed since its mid season and I want to ride this out as cheaply as possible until the fall where id consider trying to find another motor when prices fall a bit.
Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:34   #2

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Older Honda outboard CDI units?

I have a similar problem, although I am not sure if it is a CDI or a coil or something else. My is, I believe, an 81 Honda 75 7.5 HP ourboard. It is a BF75BLA or BF75L, serial number 1301004.

I spoke to All Island Marine and they said they can get a coil. I haven't asked them about the CDI but will let you know what they say. Should you desire to reach they can be reached at (516) 764-3300 or All Island Marine. They are in Oceanside, NY on Long Island.

Have you found a source since you posted? If not, I will let you know if I find anything.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I have a similar problem, although I am not sure if it is a CDI or a coil or something else. My is, I believe, an 81 Honda 75 7.5 HP ourboard. It is a BF75BLA or BF75L, serial number 1301004.

I spoke to All Island Marine and they said they can get a coil. I haven't asked them about the CDI but will let you know what they say. Should you desire to reach they can be reached at (516) 764-3300 or All Island Marine. They are in Oceanside, NY on Long Island.

Have you found a source since you posted? If not, I will let you know if I find anything.

I actually rolled the dice and ordered parts online.

lowcostboatingstore.com

667-1100001 CDI 110-0001 Honda Ignition Pack

Was the CDI Ignition module for me. After installing that, I still had zero spark.

Put in a new coil as well

Boats.net
30500-ZV8-G01 COIL ASSY. (Honda Code 8425175)

With the new coil and CDI ignition module.. the engine started on the first pull and freaking purred!

All in all about 250 bucks in parts and the engine has been great since.
Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:46   #4

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsilfin View Post
I actually rolled the dice and ordered parts online.

lowcostboatingstore.com

Thank you very much for your exceptionally quick reply. I will check them out. I am also going to change the plug wires since that is always a good thing to do on an old engine. Thanks again and I will keep you posted,
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, honda, outboard