Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 15:57   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Old vs new version Racor filters

I have a pair of 1989 vintage Racor 500 turbo fuel/water filters. I'm getting ready to order some replacement filter cartridges.

Somewhere I seem to remember seeing that new filters are not compatible with the old filter housings. They need an adapter of some sort. Is this true, if so what do I need?

Finally, I know it's been discussed in the past but what are the pros and cons of 2 mm vs 10 mm filter cartridges. There is a spin on fuel filter on the engine, so I've been using 2 mm cartridges to prolong the engine filter life.

Thanks,
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 17:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Old vs new version Racor filters

Racor 500's have had many changes over the years. Mine are much older than yours. I buy Baldwin filters on line by the case and have no problems. They come 6 to a case and are much cheaper than any yacht store. As I remember about $10 each filter last time.
I believe your talking about 4 micron and 10 micron filtration sizes. My tanks are clean and I use a 4 micron as a primary filter and the secondary filters are all 10 micron which means they never get plugged. I still change the secondaries about once a year because they also collect any water that gets by the primary filters.
I also installed a vacuum gauge upstream of the primary filters that show if one is getting clogged. Any reading above 0 is a sign of the start of filter clogging. The gauges come on most new filters. I buy my fuel at commercial fueling places whenever possible because it's more recently refined and usually cleaner than the average small dock. It's also cheaper.
My Racors could be 40 years old. Other than new seals and new drain valves, they are original.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:47   #3

Re: Old vs new version Racor filters

Search for a prior thread called "racor 500 filter problems", from 2011. It explains everything about the different filter elements, photos, etc.

Generally speaking it is better to use a courser micron element in your primary filter and a finer rating element in your final filter. This combination results in the best overall filtration and the longest element life. Typical engine manufacturer recommendations might be a 10 micron element in the primary filter and the OEM final filter as mounted on the engine.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor