Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2014, 09:08   #1

Oil troubles

Ok so I have a 4jh4ae yanmar. I checked the oil the other day and it appears I had been neglecting it a little there was just a small bit of oil on the bottom of the dipstick.

In the manual it says that the difference between low level and high level on the dipstick is 1.4 L effective***.

I put in 2 L and left it overnight. It was WAY over. This did not make sense. I have been sitting in the Harbour of Marmaris for a couple of days now playing with oil levels and pulling my hair out. I had it right on the lower level this morning and put in about 200 ml and it's WAY over again.

Anyone have an easy solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 05-10-2014, 01:59   #2

Re: Oil troubles

I have the same issue with my port 3jh4e. I have found opening the filler cap prior to checking the oil will alow the oil to balnce in the dipstick tube. Be sure to get the excess oil out. The oil touching the crank shaft will airiate and cause preasure to drop.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 05-10-2014, 02:03   #3

How much time are you allowing for the oil to settle before checking the levels again?
You may be getting a phantom reading also. I have also had similar frustrations where the dip-stick was right below where you pour the oil in, so each time you would throw a bit of oil in the engine, the dipstick would show "way over", but once you clean the stick and wait for the oil to drain, you got the right reading.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:13   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stop! The OP said he put in 2 l. when the dipstick lower level indicated 1.4 to fill it.

If he has overfilled it, all the dipstick readings will be out of whack. I'd suggest pumping out all of the oil, change filters and put in the correct amount of new oil, and see what happens then.

If the block is truly overfilled, and then too low, I'd be looking in the bilges to see if that is where the oil has gone. Did the oil drain plug fall out of the oil pan? Is there a split oil hose? Pan gasket leaking? main seal? (oh, I hope not!) tranny seal? Seems to me like an exploratory expedition of first cleaning all surfaces carefully, and strategically placed bits of T.P. (toilet paper) might find the source of the leak (if any) for you.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Stop! The OP said he put in 2 l. when the dipstick lower level indicated 1.4 to fill it.

If he has overfilled it, all the dipstick readings will be out of whack. I'd suggest pumping out all of the oil, change filters and put in the correct amount of new oil, and see what happens then.

Ann
I wouldn't go that far. He also said he has taken out the excess oil and is trying to gauge the correct levels.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxswain View Post
I wouldn't go that far. He also said he has taken out the excess oil and is trying to gauge the correct levels.
Sorry... he was "pulling his hair out"!!! hahaha
Old 05-10-2014, 19:54   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry if I sounded too over the top!

It is just that the OP needs to get to a base level that he knows. Good on the suggestion about removing the oil filler cap, I had never heard that that would help the level "adjust." Not sure I believe, either, but if it work....proof of the pudding is in the eating!

The OP also did not mention whether he's been running the engine in between bouts of checking the oil levels, so no idea if he allowed enough time for the oil to drain back down to the pan before he checked.

Ann

Tags
oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: